Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Repost: Jay Johnston's Shoebox

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

A Repost: Jay Johnston's Shoebox

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

woodz, kiwijeff, Stu D Baker and 2 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Absolutely perfect! And I always thought that it was coral and white, not coral and yellow! Still, spot on perfect. I love this car.

4. My eye is drawn to the roof. Ya know how convertible tops fill up with air on the highway and kinda "puff up" that's what it looks like to me.

Rolleiflex likes this.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I agree... It's almost right, but not quite right...

Dan Hay likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the way the roofline flows into the rear trim. The customizer had great vision with this art project...smooth clean and not to over the top.

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I've always loved that roof as goofy as it is in relation to the C pillar's... and its made from a business coupe right? I seem to recall... but maybe I'm wrong. Its one of my favorites. I still have my first car- its a 49, I've been obsessed with them for as long as I can remember. I always wondered how he got it to look like that- so balloon like- it all works... the whole thing. Perfect.

8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I really like those '54 Chevy caps.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I always thought it was made from a convertible, but everything I've read says that it was building from a coupe... which is really hard for me to imagine.

10. catdad49

catdad49

Which version does everyone like best? I'm partial to the one with the Merc taillights and the Olds wheel openings, but either will do. In later years, I could almost see canted headlights as an addition (you know how it was almost required to change yearly). Hopefully, it never happened.

11. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I always think and hope that cars such as this are still around, hidden away in an unsuspecting garage or barn. There's so much work into it and it is difficult to imagine someone having given it a change-over. I was a real estate appraiser in Los Angeles back in the 1970's and had to fully inspect the interiors of any house I appraised. I saw some very cool cars that had been long parked and looked forgotten. But everyone always had plans to get 'em back on the road.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've ALWAYS wondered what happened to this car... This one doesn't seem like it would just disappear. And from what I've heard from guys that actually saw the car in person during the day, it was actually really nicely built. I don't think this is one that would be crushed. I gotta think it's out there somewhere.

As far as the top goes, I don't hate it at all. It just doesn't look quite right to me. And I think that is because I'm predisposed by staring at so many Vickys. For example, do tops get much better than Mark's or George's?

mark.jpg

geroge.jpg

Stogy, 50fish, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

At the end of the day though, I'm a coupe guy... and my top two coupes are actually contemporary builds:

I've never seen this car in person, but I love the chop and I love the colors... It's just so tasteful:

1950-ford-coupe1.jpg

And then there's Lee's car... Probably my favorite shoebox of all time:

lee.jpg

Stogy, 50fish, Dan Hay and 3 others like this.
  14. I'm a coupe guy myself but I like the non chopped simple style.HRP

[​IMG]

15. It just does not look as it should. It almost looks like it came from a different car. I do like the hood and headlight treatment.

16. longhorizon

longhorizon

Sweet, but... now that you're on the shoebox kick, I'm waiting for you to get to the wagons!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Well... I couldn't make the obsession go away, the moons aligned, Lee called... and now I own one of my favorite shoebox Fords of all time:

shoe2.jpg

More next week...

TALLAN, AndersF, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  18. Right on!
    I guess the truck search is off....

You coming to the Spectacular?

19. Jay was a very good friend of mine. Unfortunately, in the last 2 years I've lost track of him. Last I heard he was in a hospital in Mississippi.
    I believe those photos of his car are the ones I provided Rik Several years ago. Jay gave me all the original photos of the car.
    He had no idea what ever became of the car.
    I am very proud to have possession of the last vehicle Jay ever painted.

20. Dude! That's unreal! Congrats!!!!

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations...that's a nice one...enjoy...hey Nice Garage...;)

22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No shit.... Bitchin '
    You in a Kustom.

Sancho likes this.
  23. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Seen the first one in person at Atlantic Nationals in Moncton years ago nice car

24. Now someone needs to clone Lee's/your car and paint it the original colour again.;)