Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sandpaper question for all the paint & body guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41woodie, Oct 9, 2017.

1. 41woodie

41woodie

Everybody has sand paper from Dollar General store on up.... how about some voices of experience concerning top quality, cost effective brands for wet sanding.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Some of the cheaper brands tend to brake up when folded. I have always used the better brands such as 3M or Norton, Mirka is also good. They will all fill and wear out about the same so one that the paper has some durability seems to be easier to work with.

sjm1340 likes this.
  3. upspirate

upspirate

I have bought the value pacs because it was cheaper per sheet that way.
    Problem is, if you don't use it right away, the paper gets brittle & cracks when I go to use it later.
    I do use 3M or Norton usually.
    Any tips on keeping this from happening? Besides use it up sooner? Storage?

4. squirrel

squirrel

I think there's a rule, which the traditional police enforce, that you have to use 3M Imperial A weight 400 paper to wet sand a hot rod before painting it.

belair, firstinsteele and Paint like this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

I pretty much agree with Weedburner. I usually buy my sandpaper at car show flea markets. I don't know where these guys get their supplies but most times they are less than half the price of a supply house charges. Recently I needed some and went to my usual guy, he didn't have any of the name brand stuff. He had a Korean brand paper, $10 a pack. Bought it because I needed to finish a job the next week. It was pretty good, didn't fall apart and lasted ok.

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought cheap paper for colour sanding. What a nightmare. Obviously the grit size was not consistent in the 1500 paper and left reasonable scratches every where. Once i realised what was up I had done 2/3 of the car. Mutter mutter ,went out and spent a fraction more on 3M paper. I always soak the paper before use and use a pressure spay bottle for water sanding.
    El cheap may be OK for wood or filler and primer.

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

With the cost of paint, don't cheap out on the sand paper! That is false economy, it directly affects the quality of the paint job!

Special Ed, belair, Bugguts and 2 others like this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

I use 3M. Don't forget to use Tach Cloth when your done sanding.

Gary

9. 41woodie

41woodie

No doubt

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

3M & Norton mostly, especially from #220 up. Coarser grits I'm not too particular. Had decent luck w/swapmeet stuff, it's got a shelf-life though.

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

3M for any wet sanding (#400 and finer). Get the money back using econo paper and DA discs for filler, blocking, etc.

12. Budget36

Budget36

I mentioned before, the HF disc's are as good as any I tried, then again I'm not going to Pebble Beach...

belair likes this.
  13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you are doing anything paint related, don't scrimp on quality on any product. It will probably show up in the end product.

sjm1340 and da34guy like this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use 3 M for anything finer than 320. Harbor freight makes an excellent 80 grit D A pad for 10 bucks a roll. Less with coupon.

belair likes this.
  15. I get 3M paper from my auto body supplier. Maybe pay a little more, but the stuff is fresh. Their stock turns over quickly. Any really rough sanding where the paper gets wasted, the cheap stuff works.

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I only use 3M cheap paper the abrasive material isn't consistent. You will not get a good job with the cheap paper

17. I have tried all kinds and this is what I came away with:
    You get what you pay for.

Special Ed likes this.
  18. belair

belair

^^^ As in most things in life.

19. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

You get what you pay for. Use brand name products. Wet dry is recommend. Don’t scrimp when it comes to paint jobs and finishing especially. Rinse often before continuing.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.