Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

Transmission/bellhousing alignment tool.

I use a similar shaft with bushings in the bearing bores and center carrier bearings to keep perfect alignment when I narrow 9 inchers too.

why be ordinary?

toreadorxlt and loudbang like this.
  2. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Bkap
    The table has square tubing supporting it. A single tube is inserted into the lower part of the bottom 2 x 4 tube. It is all bolted together at the bottom of the 2 x 4 tube. I will rake a picture and post it when I get back to the shop. Thanks for your interest

Mike

bkap likes this.
  3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Sez the man with a wheel standing Lark. :D

4. Have you ever broken off a bolt or stud like in a manifold and you can't seem to find the center of the broken bolt so that you can drill it out? Or maybe just a couple of threads down in a casing and you need to drill it out but its hard to get to?
    Well, I am no machinist by any means and this isn't high tech, but I made a few of these in my mini lathe the other day so that I could drill a hole in the exact center of a broken bolt. I just chucked up some typical bolts and ran a drill through the center. The hole size doesn't really matter as long as its proportionate to the bolt. Now I can just screw these bolts with holes in them into the problem hole if there is a couple of threads showing in it and drill out a center to start with. Or if you broke off an exhaust manifold bolt, just put one of these in the said hole while the manifold is still attached and it gives you a starting point to drill out the leftovers.
    Easy stuff if you are sitting out bad weather or just bored.

P1010018.JPG P1010020.JPG

5. Great trick. I have had reasonable luck filing the bolt flush, centre punching it, and drilling the hole with successively larger drills, but your procedure will save me a lot of work.
    With me, it is almost always exhaust bolts, and my addition to your trick, is that I have a 90 degree extension for my drill that lets me drill exhaust bolts with the engine in place.

loudbang and biggeorge like this.
  6. Yeah, a broken exhaust bolt is what prompted me to do this so I just did all the standard size bolts while I was at it.
    I also used this when I needed a bolt hole through both rails of a boxed frame. I got the outside hole drilled but it was hard to get my drill straight enough to drill through the inside frame rail. So I drilled the outside frame rail, tapped the hole in a fine thread, screwed in a fine thread bolt with the hole in it and that gave me a straight shot with a small drill through to the other side rail.

7. Another great idea. I have the long aviation style drill bits, and your second idea is going to work well for me.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  8. godlemmy

godlemmy

I could have used this trick a few weeks ago when I broke a bolt changing sway bar bushings in my Lincoln. Now I have to get a mini lathe to make some bolts. Great tip. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I435 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

56don and loudbang like this.
  9. Here's a gantry we threw together the other day, so we could easily lift the sedan body on and off several times.

Used to make these all the time years ago and used a chain fall for pulling motors, before cherry pickers were common, spiked 'em together with duplex nails, tore it down, and threw it behind the garage till next time or until someone needed to borrow it.
    Cheap to build out of fourteen 2x4's. Construction screws make it even easier now-a-days.
    (If you're wondering, the four post won't lift the body high enough to roll the chassis out)
    IMG_20171018_143905 (Medium).jpg

gonzo, HJLrulz, RMR&C and 4 others like this.
  10. Mart

Mart

^^ I like the idea of just knocking the gantry together as and when required.. That one looks to be about 100 times stronger than required for that particular job, though. Not criticising, Just wondering if I were to make one, I wouldn't need so much wood.

Good stuff.

Mart.

loudbang likes this.
  11. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Building my own pullmax

Ho-Lee-S**T
    Go man go!
    That looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE]

weps and toreadorxlt like this.
  13. Beautiful workmanship!
    Bob

toreadorxlt likes this.
  14. I see what you are saying; but then again; the triple 2x4's may come in handy for lifting a 500 lb air compress out of a pick-up.

loudbang likes this.
  15. jackalope

jackalope

Did you machine all those parts? And did you have plans?? If so, very nice work my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Yes i did all he CAD/CAM and machining myself. People always mention wanting plans but I don't think I'd be interested in putting all my hard work out there for free. It's a simple toggle linkage. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

whtbaron, das858, saltflats and 4 others like this.
  18. jackalope

jackalope

Excellent!! Very nice my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I had a similar situation and used the same fix, but in my case there was no room for the bolt head. What I did was drill down the center of the bolt, and cut it off at the end of the threads. After cleaning up the threads, I slotted the top so I could put it in place or remove it with a large flat screwdriver.

biggeorge, loudbang and 56don like this.
  20. jackalope

jackalope

Never had luck slotting one. Typically broken off for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cretin likes this.
  21. I needed a body cart, a nice one and in a hurry.

So I was cruising the available units online - which most were from China and all about $800 range and up.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.gif image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I needed it to be full adjustable and store compact and easily if I didn't need it.

Then I cruised my stock pile of left overs for what's here already. I had some 2-1/2 X 2-1/2 X 3/16 square tube, enough 2x2x1/8 to get started, 2 hand fulls of 5/8 nuts and bolts. I was short the casters and some 2x2 tube. So I grabbed 1 24' piece of tube some HD casters from horrible freight. That was about $175 total and 1-1/2 hrs shopping trip. Then it took 3 guys about 1 hr to cut drill and weld it up.
    Here it is in action, I'll be adding a 5th and 6th wheel with support in the future.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    The only thing I didn't get was the quick release caster mountin plates so the wheels can come off in seconds.
    But it does everything I wanted. It can broken down, reconfigured in length and width on the fly with telescope tube and bolts. Triangles and wedges no problem & even a 3 point if needed. Can be assembled under a car around Jack stands,and not only that the center bar can be offset to one side and not foul the Jack if jack needs to be in the center. If it needs specialty attachment or saddles that can also be done as needed and easily adapted. It can get taller by swapping in some parts.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  22. mgermca

mgermca

Showoff.
    Seriously, that's really NICE!
    Build thread?

loudbang likes this.
  23. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Not trying to show off. Just showing what's possible. It's way simpler than building a car and many on here do that repeatedly. I got a Bridgeport and cad and like making my metalshaping equipment. This is my second revision of a pullmax style machine.

No build thread, it's off topic for its own thread here, it's pretty well documented on my Instagram. @steveshepard. Closing in on the end. [​IMG]

toprodz, brEad, whtbaron and 9 others like this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You must have a better home than me. :D

loudbang likes this.
  25. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

It's a one car garage with a small room behind it. My metalshaping stuff lives in the basement. Nothing fancy

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Better basement. :D

brEad, loudbang and fauj like this.
  27. Thanks for sharing. You are a craftsman.

loudbang likes this.
  28. jackalope

jackalope

Just checked out your Instagram page. Very impressive my friend!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

toreadorxlt likes this.
  29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I think you've misunderstood... perhaps a picture would help explain it better. I'm not slotting the broken stud, I'm slotting the guide that I'm installing so I can drill the broken stud on center. As long as there are a couple threads exposed I can thread in something like this before I drill the hole for the EZ-outs. This allows me to install or remove the guide with a screwdriver. I start with a small hole to get on center, and then I can drill it out as required. IMG_1461.JPG

30. this is a tip i made for my steering wheel puller to push on the shaft without crushing the fiber washer that isolates the horn wire. i cut a notch in a nut and welded it to an extra insert for the puller. the notch is to allow the wire to pass through when it is pulled out and moved to one side. i made sure there was a little grease on the insert so it would not spin when the arbor is being turned. DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG