Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No oil pressure with new oil pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eric Matwey, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

Hello everyone,
    I have a chevy 250 L6 in a 1966 chevy C10. I had a problem where the bottom of the distributor shaft snapped off and damage the slot in the oil pump. I replaced the oil pump, and the distributor.
    The motor has 50,000 miles on it. I have cranked the motor for up to 15 seconds at a time, and I did that about eight times. I have no oil pressure at the gauge, and no oil coming out of the rockers.
    The new distributor seems to be seated. I had to turn the oil pump with a screwdriver to get the new distributor to slot in. I checked the distributor for damage, and I see no problems.
    Do I need to prime the pump? Do I need to crank it over more to prime the pump? How long should I have to crank the motor to get oil pressure?
    I appreciate any help.
    Thank you

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

3. Deuces

Deuces

4. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

Hopefully you remembered to put oil in it by pouring it in over the lifters coating everything on its way to the pan.
    Spin the oil pump with a primer spinner
    And electric drill. You can cut off the handle of a wide blade screwdriver and grind to fit the pistol drill chuck.
    Leaving the valve cover off you should see the oil come out over the rocker arms.
    Ps fill your oil filter cartridge prior to all steps above so as not to create a dead space. Good luck and let me know if this helps.
    Rich in Vega$

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

I should have mentioned to spin it in the proper rotation which I think is clockwise.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

Thank you everyone. I will cut up a flat bladed screwdriver, and spin the oil pump with the valve covers off.
    Thanks

7. noboD

noboD

If you have a junk distributor you can use it too, take the gear off.

8. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

Thank you. Unfortunately, the tip snapped off my old distributor, taking the oil pump with it, causing this whole mess...

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

You need to figure out why it snapped off > That is not a normal thing to happen. Then prime your system before you crank it. You may have other issues.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Is the camshaft turning? I had a oil pump lock up on a 230 engine. and the fiber gear on the camshaft sheared the teeth. the cam wasn't turning.

sunbeam likes this.
  11. sunbeam

sunbeam

When you said crank did it start or only crank with the starter? If it did not start remove the cap and see if the rotor is turning, Did the pickup fit tight in the pump?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  12. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

I only cranked it with the starter. I had the 12V and ground disconnected from the distributor. I checked the rotation of the distributor, with the cap off, and it turned correctly.
    I am not 100% sure about how tight the pickup was in the pump. The old pickup tube was easily pulled out of the pump. I hope it is not that. I would not love to drop the pan again...

Thank you

13. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

The distributor is spinning, and this motor has metal gears. So, the gears did not shear.

14. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey

Thank you Old Wolf

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to second this as I am inquisitive by nature.

I always prime my pump before installation to make sure they work as they are a bitch to replace and a lot of garbage products on the market. Then prime it in the vehicle with a 1/2 inch drill and a priming rod, you will feel the torque if its doing the job.

A lot of motors need the distributer shaft installed in order to allow the oil into the valve train passages so I don't worry too much about oil in the push tubes, I rely on a master oil pressure gauge on the block.
    That is why I build my priming tools out of old distributor housings.

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

You could over fill the oil and get the pump in the oil if you pick up pressure you would know it's the pick up. I was given a 300 ford that they didn't tighten the pickup bolts and no pressure but they ran it long enough to waist the bearings . I know the chevy is a press fit but it is easier to pull air than oil.

17. Eric Matwey

Eric Matwey