Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration to rare to cut up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bct

bct

Love your car!

Special Ed likes this.
  2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Thank you ;)
    [​IMG]

RICH B, mgtstumpy, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  3. 5window

5window

It is your car, so you can do what you want. On the other hand, less than 14000 '34s were made, so I think the other gentleman may have had a point. It's difficult to assess the conversational path, not being there, but destroying usable parts to prove a vindictive point is, in my opinion, stupid.

4. 55Deso, kiwijeff, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  5. 5window

5window

That's amazing and a beautiful job. I think even Cord diehards would think by the time the current owner got it that it was too far gone to reasonably expect a restoration.

6. topher5150

topher5150

I thought these cars were FWD

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a friend that had a customer with a 37 Cord convert. It has jag. front and rear and smallblock mopar power.

8. they were !

9. melsfine39

melsfine39

I never would tell any one what to do with THEIR car .To each his own. Yeah it is a bitch driving some thing that was only ment to go short distance and at 35 to 40 mph tops. But it is a trip back in time when cars were simple. Most cars get saved or brought back from the dead so it doesn't hurt to make them some ones idea of what a cool ride is ,and some should be left as is. Again to each his own...

10. Still on the fence with my Ford 68B....maybe a good roadster will roll by....before... IMG_20170809_191111.jpg

11. 327Eric

327Eric

If you have the balls to cut up a treasure, and the spine to take the criticism, more power to you. My opinion, do it right, do it well, and go all the way. Its easy to ruin the most common of cars, let alone the rare ones. Now if you start with a pile of parts, like member 'Hot Rods to Hell' started with when he built his 'Vette, go for it.

Gary Reynolds likes this.

12. At the lead sleds in DesMoines one year, ['86 or '87] I met this drunk dude at Georges Chile King who showed me his pristine, black 31 Pontiac coupe..totally original right down to the radio! He said he was going to make a hot rod out of it and everybody in the parking lot groaned...such a nice car they said...Don't cut it up!
    I ran into that guy at the street rod nats a year or 2 later and he'd made a very nice car out of that coupe. Yeah, it had a SBC in it but it was a really nice car and he drove the shit out of it....couldn't do that if he'd left it original.

kiwijeff and Special Ed like this.
  13. long island vic

long island vic

I cut a 62 olds jetfire turbo car and turned it into a gasser,, its mine, just made the rest of them worth more, maybe maybe not

14. LOL never noticed that it was a replica. You are correct they were pretty sleek for a car with a flat grill shell.

Hey did you ever see the silver one that was always at the car show at the Cow Palace? It seems like it was always in the back behind all the "really neato" cars. I fell in love with that car when I was about 4.

15. leon bee

leon bee

Here's a minority opinion just to maybe keep this thread a little longer: A month or so ago there was a member on here who'd just found a beautiful original Model A, couldn't wait to start gutting and cutting. That made my heart hurt, but most of y'all were like go, man. Find the most complete, original, pristine, running and driving car you can find and afford to build a rod out of.

It just ain't right.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  16. The saying goes, it's only original once.
    With every passing year these cars get more rare, they can't be replaced. Would you draw a moustache on the Mona Lisa?
    Some would, I think that's, well, not too bright.Obviously you can do what you want, but WHY?
    I can see at least one of the cars pictured in this thread and it's F'n awful! Don't need to say which one. But jeeeeez.
    Should have sold it to a restorer.

egads likes this.
  17. it is just an A.......get cutting.:cool:

kiwijeff and Montana1 like this.
  18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Beaner.. My grandmother and Grandfather went on their honeymoon in his Stutz. He cut the seat down to be more "jaunty" and removed the windshield. I remember that windshield hanging in his garage..

19. Here's a '32 Studebaker (don't you dare call it a Packard :mad:) that belongs to a good friend out in MO. It has a 440 Mopar in it. Done very nice!

Belonged to Norm Grabowski at one time. Maybe Joe will chime in here and give us some of the history of it... :) Joe?

IMG_6158.JPG

mgtstumpy, 55Deso, kiwijeff and 3 others like this.
  20. 32owner

32owner

My original 32 going under the saw Dec. 1. 3'' massage also took the fenders off pissing a lot of people off but its mine and I like chopped highboys... IMG_0140.JPG

21. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Guy around the corner is a BB Chevy guy. Also llikes 30s Oldsmobiles. He has a 28ish Pierce Arrow with a BB. Showed up at the car coral at Hershey a few years back. Lasted till the hood went up and he was promptly told to leave

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. A guy I know out in IL had a '34 Chrysler Airflow with, I wanna say a 440 in it, and he needed some original parts to finish the car (bumpers, brackets, chrome and such), so he called someone in the Airflow club and they wouldn't even sell them to him when they found out what he was doing. :eek:

23. 5window

5window

Can't blame that on Hershey-AACA rules are pretty clear.

24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Customize any car any way you want! I would, although I have passed on very complete original projects because I knew a more suitable project for my purpose would come along. Just do not let me find out you took a solid body with rust free floors and cut them out so you can drop it on some slammed bag chassis, cause I am from Wisconsin and rust free floors are the rarest of the rare! When I see people do that I want to B slap them into next year! Larry

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

No line, really. The only thing that bugs me is when rare and remarkable cars get cut up to replace everything that's remarkable about them with yet another 350-350-9"-MII combo. That is, everything about it that is interesting, technically or otherwise, gets gutted and the car is reduced to some shallow conception of "iconicness".

Hence rear-wheel-drive Cords and front-engined Corvairs don't appeal to me. But I'd happily turbocharge a Tucker, if that's what happens to cars with flat-sixes in the back. I'd merrily stick a Magirus-Deutz air-cooled diesel in an early Franklin, even if it meant engineering a new wooden chassis frame from scratch.

Related are all the Vintage Bentleys which got their interesting bespoke coachwork junked in favour of yet another dark green VDP-style fabric tourer, because a Le Mans replica is the Thing To Have. It's exactly the same as every '31 Henway Accordion Coach which gets cut up to make a rough approximation of a Deuce 3-window, because a Deuce 3-window is the Thing To Have.

It's the victory of surface over substance, of adulation over imagination, and I don't hold with it.

Thor1 likes this.
  26. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

He should have known better and I bet he did . Just tried to slip one by them I guess. I really think the rules should be enforced there completely or the whole deal will turn into a mess real quick.

5window likes this.
  27. Its funny I have always wanted a bearcat, they really are not very fast by todays standards but they are still a Bearcat. The one that I have always envisioned had knuckle guards and nothing that even resembled a top.

My dad and me built one of those large scale models of one when I was a kid, I wanted it to be candy red, he said that they didn't come that way but he liked my choice of colors and he went out and came home with Testors candy red. It had a little electric motor and some wires so you could run it around the house, the steering worked but you had to manually turn the wheel. He said that it was probably the only Stutz I would ever own. :D

Hemiman 426 and kiwijeff like this.
  28. topher5150

topher5150

The only Stutz you should be allowed to cut up are the ones from the 70s

29. leadsled56

leadsled56

Facing a similar dilemma with my family owned '12 Maxwell touring. No one wants to drive it as is. Had a cosmetic, partial restoration from the mid-sixties to the mid-eighties. No one wants it, not driveable as-is unless you live in small town USA. I vote customize it enough to make it driveable (electric lights, starter, brakes that actually work, safety items) but in a sympathetic way. Keep all the stock parts for future re-use. Drive it and enjoy until someone else wants it then let it go. Objections?

Special Ed likes this.