Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil seeping from exhaust manifold gasket?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Summershandy, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Summershandy

Summershandy

Changed the manifold gasket and it doesn't have many hours on it. The old one was blown and leaking badly. Today I noticed smoke coming from the gasket. Little bit of bubbling and I think it was burning on the manifold. The bolts are as tight as I can get them and there are no exhaust leaks. I haven't seen this one before, just the usual air leaks. I don't think I spilled anything there. Wondering if it's going to get worse with the change of fire or seal/burn itself out. I suspect things but looking for more experienced opinions. Thanks and I have a couple pics with an arrow where it's happening. IMG_6494.JPG IMG_6501 - Copy.JPG

2. squirrel

squirrel

While the manifold was off, did you check to see if the gasket surface was flat? And did you replace the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds? I wonder if the exhaust manifold is warped...from the way it's burned, it looks like it might be.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  3. Summershandy

Summershandy

I cleaned all surfaces with a fine tooth comb and they looked really good to me. Changed whatever gaskets were available. Couldn't really tell any warpages. Back in the day I thought I remembered you would double up on gaskets. Like for headers to allow for any poor fitment.

4. squirrel

squirrel

you probably need a straight edge to see if it's warped....

Doubling up on gaskets, won't fix it. Replacing or machining will fix it.

Hnstray and lothianwilly71 like this.

5. Summershandy

Summershandy

So I'm assuming the oil is coming from worn rings and valves? I've just never seen oil seeping like that, just air.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Strange things come out of engines. It might be oil from the rings, or it might be something else, such as water combined with exhaust soot (both are products of combustion). Normally, we'd just expect to see exhaust gas come out of a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  7. Bad valve guides will let oil into the manifolds, if it's been sitting drive it breakin speeds, 30 then 50, 40 then 60, 20 then 40, etc see if it gets better. ck for crack between the two ports as well.

8. Summershandy

Summershandy

Guess the bottom line is if the gasket is doing it's job then nothing would leak. Just wondered why it took a while to happen. Also concerned about a fire issue. The car is a project so it won't be on the road for quite sometime.

9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If the manifold is not flat you will not get it to seal.Doubling up on the gaskets will not help.Remove the manifold and check it for flat with a long straightedge as Squirrel said.If it is not flat your local machine shop can make it so.If it does have to be machined make sure the intake gets machined at the same time and that they are bolted together as they are on the engine.This is a very common problem on inline engine.

10. Summershandy

Summershandy

Might I add, it starts to bubble and burn when the engine gets to operating temperature. Looks normal until then with no leakage.

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Is the heat riser froze shut ?

12. Summershandy

Summershandy

Ya know, I thought about that. It's almost like there's a restriction. I checked the heat riser a couple times before and it was nice and loose so never bothered to spray it. I'll check tomorrow.

13. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

I have , and have used Gold form-a-gasket high temp sealer on headers that refuse to seal. It works great. I have used it for years, and never had one leak again. A little on each side.

Pat

14. Summershandy

Summershandy

Did you use the sealer by itself or with a gasket? I read as much as I could and it sounded like a gasket by itself didn't require a sealant. Was meant that way. Thanks for all the ideas! Most I've ever gotten in such a short time!

15. Summershandy

Summershandy

Well, I discovered another exhaust leak almost the same spot at the other end of the engine. Just exhaust. Coincides with the picture of the original. I'm guessing warp. Original owner finally blew the gasket out. Someone said these inlines are prone to it. Thank cripes I used never seize on the bolts. Thinkin'...ya never know.

czuch likes this.
  16. Summershandy

Summershandy

I removed the manifold and you can tell by the imprints on the gasket which ports were sealed and which ones were leaking. Black soot at the leaks and the mystery oil where it was bubbling off. Warped.