Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw

Right now I'm getting ready to take the dragster and the Crosley to Rock Falls in Eau Claire, WI. 35 of us have rented the strip for all day Sunday. My friend Dave will aim the Crosley. I hope to get my driving procedure in order. Yes, both cars will be at the Fallout too. Before that, the Minnesota Street Rod Assn. has rented Brainerd (BIR) for members only free drag racing for the weekend. Holy moly, four races this season for me.

I've added a tach with a built-in shift light so maybe I will quit short shifting at 2 grand or so. It didn't work at first because of low voltage from the MSD tach output. Changed boxes, it works. Maybe I'll even learn to floor it off the line. Hoping to cut a few tenths off

loudbang likes this.
  2. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish you luck getting it all figured out Bob. An E.T. in the 11.40's would definitely put you near the top of the heap with a HA/GD-SDRA-NWVD type digger. Maybe you can even scare the hell out of 120 mph.

My wife reminded me that I am scheduled to have an MRI at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis the last week of September so I won't be able to go to the Fallout after all.

Looks like I will not be able to get together with you until the Meltdown next year. This time we can trade numbers before hand to make it easier to hook up.

loudbang likes this.
  3. bobw

bobw

Well that was fun! The dragster went a best ever [email protected]. Leaving at an idle and just stabbing it. First run I tried the trans brake and the car sat on the line for a second and a half after I let go of the button. Didn't mess with it again except on pit road where it worked properly. Tried it in the driveway when I got home and again it worked.

I had a grudge race against a good friend with a perfect '55 Chevy with a blown small block. My 11.653 against his 11.662. My -.057 red light against his .113 green. I thought I was too old to red light.

Made 5 runs and could have made a lot more. About 4:30 the rains came...

4. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Man you would be a killer running with the SDRA on there 11.50 index. How about coming to Tulsa Sept 22,23 to run with us(sdra) at the Nitro Nationals. It's also a points race for the NHRA Heritage series in T/F and A/F so lots of good nostalgia racing.

loudbang likes this.
  5. bobw

bobw

Mr. Mac, I'd sure love to come to Tulsa to watch if not to race. Unfortunately I've got 3 dogs and a wife that doesn't care for the hobby so I'm stuck pretty close to home. I wear my SDRA tee shirt every time I run the car though.
    The dragster still has slow 60 foot times, in the 1.8-2.0 range. If I can lower those a couple tenths I'll be a happy boy.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I know what you mean Bob, I burnt my wife out on racing years ago on 100 degree days at a drag strip. Now I just write my schedule on the calendar so she knows when I won't be around.:D:D

loudbang likes this.
  7. Old28

Old28

Good luck when you go to Brainerd with the MSRA for your free day. Get on that trans brake to help you get that 60' time down like you want. :D Maybe an 11.05 - 11.10 is there for the taking. :eek:
    Most important, STAY SAFE & HAVE FUN. :):)

loudbang likes this.
  8. bobw

bobw

The second annual Fall Out nostalgia drags, put on by the Meltdown Drags guys was this Friday & Saturday. Perfect weather and 200 1967 and earlier drag cars at Rock Falls Raceway. What a great time! I made 4 passes on Friday with the best being 11.56 at 116.5 mph. Still have crappy short times. My young friend, Titus noticed a cracked weld in a motor mount so I took the mount home and rewelded it.

Saturday there was even more fantastic cars. I bolted the motor mount in place and lined up against a Model A sedan altered with an injected flathead, on alcohol, I think. I was more than a second faster but it was a good photo op for the many spectators in attendance. 11.59 seconds later I went through the traps at a PR mph of 118.17.

As I was decelerating the trans seemed to go into neutral. Imagine my surprise and dismay when I determined that was the only gear in the box. Then the noise started, sounded like a pail with rocks in it being shaken, not stirred.

Oh well, I'm a better spectator than racer so that's the way I spent the rest of this fantastic day.

loudbang and millelacsrick like this.
  9. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That warmed over 300 probably just over powered that old 'glide! Redoing the trans will give you a chance to install a converter with a littler higher stall. That should really help the 60's. I have a feeling that a 11.3... at over 121 is hiding in the 'bullet just waiting to be let out.

I would have commented earlier but I received a reminder of what a pain it is to work on these old relics. I managed to break my thumb playing with one of my Stovebolts. It makes posting a challenge.

That broken mount and trans will be just the first issues that will show up to prove that the Ford has a few more beans than the old slant did.

loudbang likes this.
  10. bobw

bobw

The Powerglide is broken so I pulled the rear end. Makes sense, eh? Since I've strayed from the HA/GR paradigm so much I might as well get the rear end narrowed. Gonna pull the engine & trans tomorrow. The car is all scratched up so a complete disassembly is in order so the frame can be repainted. Rustoleum and a foam brush, of course. Got a "to do" list for the car trying to make it better and more reliable. Hopefully faster too.
    Too bad about your thumb, Roy. I've worn all the cartilage out of the joint nearest my wrist so there's some pain and loss of strength involved.

Roy, I'm hoping for the 11.3 you mentioned and eventually would like to see a 10.99. Just to say I did it.

millelacsrick and loudbang like this.
  11. Old28

Old28

Bob, Sounds like a fall project getting things repaired, changed & replaced. Sure some of your trans brake problem was caused from poor PG operation. Maybe think about a 3800 - 4500 stall converter. I know with the HP that 300 is making with a leave at 4000 rpm your 60' times will be more were you want them and it will help to get those bigger slicks moving. Maybe shift point of 4500 -5500 will keep that motor up in power mode for a solid top end.

I know it is easier to drive from my computer than at the track, but I have been through all the junk your going through and it will all work out, it always does. Still say that hot rod will run 11.0's all day. keep at it as I know you will.

12. bobw

bobw

Thanks for the encouragement and the valuable advice, Tom. I used a shift light last time out so no more short shifting. Used a 5,500 shift point but that might be a little too high. Been watching a lot of videos on tuning a Holley carb. That should help next season. I agree on the converter stall. Gonna try a company in Texas called Freak Show.
    Got everything off the dragster except the engine and trans. Tomorrow it will be just a bare chassis ready to prep and paint.

13. Old28

Old28

The 300 has real good rods, don't know if you installed ARP rod bolts, but 5,500 - 5.700 shift point should be no problem. You said that you tested the trainsbrake on the return road & it seamed OK, did it hit the slicks hard? If your PG was going bad I am sure your fluid flow through the brake was all wrong. I have seen ads for the guys in Texas. Be assured that when you get a solid PG, correct 3500 - 4500 converter working you may want to tighten those belts because she is going to hit those slicks hard. Keep use informed.

14. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob, There are some real good pics of the 'bullet and that injected flatty comp sedan on the photo link for the Fall Out on the Melt Down page.

I agree that you probably need 5500 shift points to get where you want to go. If you can find a converter that will put your 300 at between 3200 and 3500 against the trans brake it should be ideal. I think that would be about where your torque starts to really drop off and should help the launch. To get it all sorted out may require smaller slicks and/or a lower rear gear to help keep the RPM up when you leave. Ideally I believe that you want to be at 5200 - 5500 going through the traps.

loudbang likes this.
  15. bobw

bobw

Roy, I saw the pics. Great photography. Thanks for your advice and insight. The dragster is down to the bare frame. One coat of paint is now drying. The rear housing is already narrowed. Will take the axles in to be resplined Monday. Will probably take a peek inside the Powerglide today.

I'm going almost 5,600 through the traps at 118 mph. It's starting to flatten out at that Rpm. Probably needs more cam and some head work to gain more revs.

loudbang and millelacsrick like this.
  16. bobw

bobw

I pick up the narrowed rear axle housing tomorrow and drop off the axle to be resplined. Took the whole car apart to clean up and paint the chassis. Will put all the pieces in storage for the winter and reassemble in the spring. In the meantime I'll get a converter and get the Powerglide fixed. Got the underside painted today. John Deere yellow Rustoleum.
    Yellow Chassis 001.JPG

17. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Sound's like your set for the winter bobw.

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Make some notes so you remember how it goes back together LOL. :)

19. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How narrow are you going on the rearend? What gear ratio are you using?

I didn't realize you were turning that high at the top end.

I used to race against a lot of 300 Fords and know that they certainly have no trouble turning well over 7000 without any strain with a good cam, lifters, and roller rockers. The stock head is pretty good but it does respond to a little work. I never saw one lose a bottom end if put together with the right clearances and a good oil pump.

I'm sure when you get the carburation figured out it will really wake up.

By the way, the picture really shows the craftsmanship that went into building it.

loudbang likes this.
  20. bobw

bobw

Sorry for the late reply, Roy. I cut 10" out of each side. There's about 3" clearance between the body and the slick. The axles cannot be resplined as they taper slightly and there is not enough meat for full spline engagement. Will order axles from Dutchman soon.

Was going to take the Powerglide to Tranny Tim today. Pulled the trans from the engine and the converter stayed with the trans! All the flex plate to converter bolts had backed out. So, the "Glide is okay, the maintenance on the dragster sucks. This car is going 118 mph and I better get with the program and check and recheck everything regularly. Or, something bad could happen. I've learned my lesson.

loudbang likes this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Locktite is your friend.

loudbang likes this.
  22. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Bob, I think that you have figured out the price for running with the big dogs!
    Good to see the 'bullet at the top of the pile.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Old28

Old28

X2 on Locktite:D
    Better get the Bullet ship shape for it's first 11.00 pass, stay Safe and have fun.:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  24. bobw

bobw

Just got home from a month in sunny, but cool Florida. Not too nice here with below zero lows and highs in the teens. Banged up my wrist so I can't get back at it for a few days. I did order an 8" converter and a pair of billet axles today. Looking forward to a fun and rewarding racing season. 'Course I have to put the whole thing together first.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

It would have been real easy for me to just stayed in Florida for another month:D:D but looks like you got work to do. We didn't have much to do to our car this winter. Good Luck

loudbang likes this.
  26. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Must be something in the water Bob. I broke my right wrist the day after my last post! The same one I broke falling off a horse when I was 13. No small ass comments on coming west in a covered wagon please.:D See you at the Meltdown. I want to be there for one of those 10.++ runs.

loudbang likes this.
  27. bobw

bobw

I'll be there, RacerRoy. Now working on the Bantam, putting it together for the Meltdown. There's 2' of snow so I can't get the dragster chassis out of the back garage. I just received the 8" converter from Freak Show and the billet axles from Dutchman. Got lots to do starting NOW!

Old28 has provided valuable information regarding how to get the most performance out of this combination and also the next round of modifications. I located a small chamber 240 head which will provide more compression.

Here's the door art on the Bantam. Supposed to resemble the doors on Gabby Bleeker's Fuel Bantam.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  28. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good Bob. Now if you only had a blown Chrysler or Olds laying around....

loudbang likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I like the crest.

loudbang likes this.
  30. bobw

bobw

Thank you FTF. It's hand painted. The Bantam didn't make the cut to run at the Meltdown Drags so the pressure is off to get it done. As soon as I can get the dragster frame out of the back garage I'll be reassembling it as it was accepted. I'll use Locktite this time.

Blown Chrysler, Racer Roy? That would be cool but then it would be astatic display cux I don't like to go fast.

loudbang likes this.