Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My original 1932 five window at car show today

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just don't understand. Most of us around here willingly share pictures of their pride and joys however this thread is somewhat well...I guess we may have to find them ourselves. It seems a little like begging with a non humorous side. So heres my better than a trophy...shot for today...
    0_20170921_183203.jpg

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

No trophy for photos?

Stogy and Dirty Dug like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yep, I would like more pics, and the story behind it too. Oh well...

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. mbshafter

mbshafter
    from Detroit

I think the best reward would be going back to the old gentleman's house and seeing his face when you take him for a ride.....

Your car is absolutely beautiful, you did it justice. Congratulations.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

A lot of us want to see pictures of the car this guy bought and thought deserved all the acclaim. So we're waiting. "Original car, two speed rear end, 8ba, Buick drums, original interior, you get the picture." Okay, show us some pictures. I'll send you a trophy.

LOU WELLS, j3harleys and Stogy like this.
  7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Okay, let's not jump on him too hard - on the humorous side of coarse. My post was supposed to be intended this way. We just want to see more pictures BESIDES the body...

Stogy likes this.
  8. Two words to study up on
    "Power Parking"

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My long time standing rule is that I don't take photos of cars with show boards in front of them at outdoor shows unless they are in a commercial display or something so special such as a vintage race car that has won notable races or set records back when. If someone on here had his/her car at a show I took photos at and posted on here had a show board in front of the car at the show and didn't see a photo of the car in my posted photos or photobucket album now they know why.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Wow guys, you got me a little "afeard" I'm taking my May purchase (1940 ford sedan ) to my 1st local car show tomorrow . With all the comments I'm quickly reminded it's not about what other people think of your car but it's about the fun of driving it there and back and the conversations of the ones that do appreciate it . I'm 69 , this is the oldest and nicest ford I've ever owned . My dad been gone since 2007 but I still remember growing up with the many car stories he would tell about his 32 coupe that he wrecked on a bridge in West ( by God ) Virginia, his 40 ford coupe ,and many others in between and over the years , anyway kinda puts a soft spot in my heart when I drive my 40 thinking he drove one like this and brings back memories of the best man I ever new , my dad . So what time is the show over so I can get back behind the wheel of this ol girl .

Attached Files:

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After you get your Trophy...:p...nice Hotrod and great story.

31chevymike likes this.
  12. Car Shows should pay the owners to show their cars, without the cars, there's no show! Paying to go to a show is just a very bad business decision! Drive-ins' are a better scene!

Stogy, 28 Ford PU and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Then they couldn't afford trophies...:(

14. j3harleys

j3harleys

Years ago all most all the shows was for some kind of Charity. I'm good with that. We don't go to many shows anymore, and if its for someone or some group to make money I have a hard time with that, but I would go if it sounded interesting.

Stogy likes this.
  15. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

16. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Enjoy your day and the car that brought you , that's what I have learned from all of the commenters !

31chevymike likes this.
  17. tomcat11

tomcat11

31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's one there take a closer look...:p...That's a special trophy...That's Indy's Coupe going uphill in 26 seconds to win the competition hence the Awarded name "Hillclimber". Graciously presented by the Vintage Beauty which is very typical of the period times we covet around here. I enjoyed that exercise in manipulation.​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and 31chevymike like this.
  19. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Went to a local event with my A. Wife went for a change. Most cars were 50's and 60's muscle and new stuff. Mine was only high boy so did not get much attention. However old guy made my day. Asked if I drove it a lot and I said yes. He said thought so you tires are dirty. We packed up smiling and drove to get some catfish and hushpuppies. Good event to me.

Stogy and lurker mick like this.
  20. The best part of a car show is meeting new people, old friends, seeing some new and different iron, driving your hot rod to it and driving it hone. But the best trophy you could ever get is a simple thumbs up or a simple "nice car" from your peers - guys who build and drive what you drive - priceless!

Oh, and btw, really nice car, man ...

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  21. guy1unico

guy1unico

If you are a purest and wish to be judged by others that are then join the Early V8 Ford Club.
    Most of those guys know what they are looking at.

Dirty Dug likes this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trophies are important to those in the business end of this folly we all share in. Lets others know the work is peer reviewed and they get their $$$$$ worth. To owners and personal builders some want it and some don't. The share in all of this is so multi-faceted there's no room to discuss it. Ideas, process, product, hell even the shenanigans amongst the folks are all worth the effort. Everybody likes to be recognized for their work, taste in design, performance and more. Doesn't make you any higher or lower on the hot rod/custom scrotum pole whether you want that recognition or not. To each their own (said Mrs O'Leary before she kissed the cow)

Stogy, vintagehotrods and TomT like this.
  23. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

BUILDING A FINE ROD IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER TROPHIES ARE FOR BOWLERS!!

31chevymike and The37Kid like this.
  24. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Still no photos?

Stogy likes this.
  25. I guess you have to ask yourself . . . why did you go and what were you looking for?

I took my 32 Cab to an indoor car show last January - it was cold and I was bored with everything in town. Mine was the only vintage hotrod in the show . . . guess what . . . I won "First Place". Too funny.

What I did at the show was put as many kids as I could find into the car, let them sit in it, let them "steer it", let them see what a rumble seat is all about - that is what made it fun for me. You should have seen their happy faces and those of their parents - totally fun stuff!

Example:

IMG_4820.JPG

I couldn't give 2 shits about the trophies and judges - just not important to me. What was funny was to see how many of the owners were ALL about the trophies, the number of shows they won, etc -- that was important to many (and I don't judge them) . . . just not important to me.

My goal --> create more future HotRodders . . . one kids's ass in my car at a time! LOL

kidcampbell71, clunker, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  26. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

27. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

The 5w is my all time favorite hot rod. Your's is perfection. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW...I would have walked by the Challenger and spent at least 15 minutes looking over your car. And would have loved to talked to you about it.

28. adam401

adam401

That's an amazing car. I don't sweat trophies cause honestly my cars are all wicked pieces of shit. The knowledge that I would chop my foot off to own that car should trump any trophy.

clunker likes this.
  29. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I hope that I was clear. I'm not a collector of plastic trophies. My disappointment wasn't because I didn't win any awards at this local show, but because there was little or no interest from most people attending, or the judges, in what they saw as an "old car" with 60-year-old scratched & chipped paint and Henry Ford's original worn interior. It's disheartening that not many recognized the uniqueness or history behind an unrestored car when compared to a shiny new restoration.

fourspd2quad, Stogy, clunker and 3 others like this.
  30. ROBRAM

ROBRAM

Unfortunately, there is more and more of this going on. A lot of the people that are going to these shows don't even know what they are looking at when they see a nice car like yours, and don't realize the significance of it. Some, as much I hate to say it, would go as far as to use the "R" word to describe it, which really shows their ignorance.