Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bushing reamer for king pins model A Ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobo1, Oct 8, 2017.

1. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Hello I would like to know where can I buy a bushing reamer for fluted to ream both spindel bolt bushings at once ?
    Thanks

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Take the spindles and pins to an automotive machine shop and get them honed. They will last much longer.

3. BigEd

BigEd

Try places like Snyder's or Bratton's.

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Use an adjustable reamer. Many of the bushing kits have really thick bushings due to the fact that the bushing itself may fit different kits. So on the early Ford's you will have to do a lot of cutting.

Take small cuts, start with the reamer just fitting the bushing then adjust the reamer about a quarter turn at a time on the adjuster nut on each cut. When you get close to the pin fitting go a 1/8 turn.

Never ! Turn the reamer counter clockwise when cutting. Cut thru the bushing, then keep turning clockwise when removing it. Be sure to buy a reamer with a tapered guide that slides on the reamer. The guide will go into the other bushing to hold the reamer in line with both bushings while you cut.

Also cut the bushings dry, blow the shavings off the reamer after every pass.

Do the above and you should end up with perfectly cut bushings with a really smooth finish. Done hundreds of them.

TagMan likes this.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Perfect advice & description. I've been reaming king pin bushings for years that exact way with perfect results. I've never seen any difference between honed & reamed bushings that would result in greater longevity from method to the other.