Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1948 International 1-ton vin Serial number location?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thaugen, Oct 6, 2017.

1. thaugen

thaugen

[​IMG] I just bought a cab and frame, all taken apart, and I couldn't locate the plate. The center part of the firewall is gone. I understand the cab and frame have different serial numbers. Any help where to look for the numbers, such as where they might be stamped into the metal?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

There is little to decode from IH serial numbers. If you have a table of them, they do identify the time frame a truck was built in, but that is not hidden within the serial number. The system used depends upon what time frame you have in mind.

For many years starting in the 1930”s or earlier, each individual model had its own serial number sequence starting with 501 when the model was introduced. For example, there was an R100-501, R120-501, R130-501, etc.

When the S-line was introduced in 1955, it also started with serial S501, but there was no separate sequence for the various S models. S501 may have been a 110, S502 a 130 or 150, etc.
    https://oldihc.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/ih-serial-numbers-2/
    https://app.box.com/shared/otkihx6yoa

Try looking at LH front of frame rail from cab forward to radiator for serial number
    Here's a blank build plate
    upload_2017-10-7_10-24-48.png

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. I don't know about the 1 ton, but I think it will be in the same place as my son's 47 KB1. There is a number stamped on the frame by the steering box. ( We couldn't find this one), And there should be a riveted plate on the driver's side kick panel. They are often missing.
    Bob

5. jazz1

jazz1

Frame is stamped near left front spring hanger. Numbers are about 3/4" tall. I never noticed mine until a year after sandblasting and painting the frame!
    Here's pic of one I took off a '42 IHC K2. Could be coincidence but the # on the frame and tag were matched on my '41 IHC, same for the '42 IHC, can't say for my '46 as I scrapped the frame early on as it was junk.

[​IMG]

Back to photostream

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  6. thaugen

thaugen

Many thanks to all who replied.

7. That gives me hope, I have two frames I can check here, one KB-1, and 1 KB-2, and it would really be helpful to find the number.
    The information I had, was from one of the International truck sites, and it drove me nuts that I couldn't find the number on a completely original frame.
    Bob

8. Bummer! I checked both frames, from the front of the frame horn to the back of the front spring hanger, I even sanded the frame lightly in the hope it would highlight the numbers, and I got nothing. It is easy to see that the frames are original and have not been reworked.
    Does anyone know if International built any trucks in Canada?
    Bob

9. Today, I sanded and checked both the KB-1 frame and the KB-2 frame, from the front all the way back to the cab mount. I got nothing, and I know that neither frame has been modified. Totally frustrating.
    Bob

10. jazz1

jazz1

Yes,,,my parts truck was built in Chatham or Hamilton On, forget which Had some unique features as there was only one hole punched for wiper, no hole on passenger side. My US truck although never having a passenger wiper did have the hole punched and a plug installed. Numerous little differences

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. Both of the International cabs have a single wiper. Do you know who made the rear ends for International, or were they made in house.
    Bob

Attached Files:

12. jazz1

jazz1

Dual wipers was option, single was standard. Bumpers also option. Not sure who made the rear end, but they were big and strong. Passenger mirrors arms also a option and very hard to find. Fellow on other board was replicating stainless mirror arms a few years ago IMG_3124.JPG IMG_3133.JPG

j-jock likes this.
  13. Both of my son's frames are undamaged, and there is a difference in the front frame horns. On the KB-1 1/2 ton, the frame horns terminate as a rounded end. There is a bumper on this frame.
    On the KB-2 frame, the frame is terminated in front of the front spring hanger, and there is a cast piece that is riveted on. This piece has a threaded hole to accept a bolt. I don't know if it is meant to mount a bumper or what, but it looks factory.
    Bob

14. jazz1

jazz1

IMG_1228.JPG The threaded hole for bolting bumper you can see in pic I have of '42 K2 frame. The piece of frame broke off right at the shackle. Here's '41 K1 frame stripped. Mounts for bumper at front of frame rail

15. This looks the same as his 47 KB-2 frame. The KB-1 frame has the identical crossmember, but the frame is extended slightly more in front of the shackle. It has the same type of nut at the end to mount the bumper.
    I notice that you are going IFS, my son is sticking with the original solid axle.

16. jodie l hall

jodie l hall

Hello I am hoping someone might be able to help. I was given a International Harvester truck and was told that it was possibly a 1948 but it doesn't have a title to it. I am trying to get insurance but insurance people are crazy. It does have its fender badge of KB 5 and it has a metal plate that says model H 1 or I 205041. I have found I think where different things are saying this truck was made between 1947-1949. Is anyone able to help me figure out anything else out about this truck? Thank you so much for helping this girl out with this project.

17. jazz1

jazz1

Go to OLDIHC.ORG. There is link to Wisconsin Hysterical Society thAt has VIN for all US built IHC trucks

18. If the engine block is original, the serial number will also be located on the driver's side of the engine near the generator. My son's truck was built in Canada, and that was where we were able to find the number.
    Bob