Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Free car build (Inspired by HAMB Andy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake_Lancer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

15 years ago I worked with a guy, that told me he built a can crusher out of a hemi. I listened to him, but he spent a lot of time experimenting in the 70's. When I worked with him ( 2002 I started) he still used a sharpie to color his contacts, he had the stories. I heard about this can crusher atleast once every year, and never really was sure it existed. Fast forward 10 years, and I answer a add for a 1946 Dodge truck with a lot of extra parts, and, 2 hemi's. As I start talking to the seller he tells me about one of the hemi's was used as a can crusher. In the end it was the same guy I worked with, he was telling me the truth, it wasn't just the drugs.
    I wanted to build my 1937 Plymouth truck with it, in pure hotrod style. As I talk to more people that go fast, (racerx) they say I should go with a 354 hemi, so I'm looking for one of them, not a 331.

So here is my offer, Jake you can have my 331 hemi with a auto tranny attached to it. It is complete minus carb. Here are the conditions, it will need a rebuild but it does turn over. Someone has to pick it up from my house. It HAS to go in this car, I'm not giving it to ya for a later project or to put in after its on the road with a different motor, this motor is for this car. This is a Dodge and it needs a Dodge motor from the start. I'm hoping that someone else will donate a rebuild kit, and a rebuild for ya. If you can guarantee me that this is the motor that will go in your car and not any other motor its yours. Contact me with questions if you want it under these conditions, because if you don't use it, I will.
    Tony

2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

If you do accept the motor Jake, I will supply the induction for it. Now get
    going buddy.

3. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I have a brand new timing chain and gears for a 1955 331 Hemi I will do donate if it works on the year of engine and you accept the engine deal. Just cover the shipping.

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Andy was such a rad kid. The way that little sedan got built and how everyone on this little website came together was pretty special. Bringing this back up is a good thing, especially in light of how much negativity there is out there these days. Andy showed us we're all more the same than different. Good luck with your build dude.

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scooby you superstar! And to all others donating to this. A LOT of us where part of the HAMBAndy story and I too am very sentimental about that so am stoked to see this happen! Gambatte from Japan!

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang...I Love the HAMB. It's not just a website or a forum. It's family.

7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Sorry, didn't happen without pics.1955 331.
    Tony [​IMG][​IMG]

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Great and generous folks here on the HAMB.Hope Jake can make it happen.Looks like he is on the way to a great car.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jake, mcmopar has made you a very fine offer, deals like this don't happen often. I will throw in a set of Rod and Main bearings if you do decide to take this man up on his very generous offer.

10. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

First of all, I would like to say thank you to everyone who is supporting this build. I want to say thank you to mcmopar for offering this 1955 331 hemi. When I looked at the thread this morning, seeing that post honestly brought a tear to my eye. Me and my dad will go to Wisconsin to pick it up here in a few weeks. This is definitely the engine that will be going in my car. I would also like to say thanks to those offering to donate parts for this build, I will be in touch with you soon.
    At the beginning, I didn't even think I would get the car, and to see now how much support I'm getting through this really does make this seem like a dream. I can't say thank you enough to unclescooby, mcmopar and everyone on this thread who supports this build.
    -Jake

11. Congrats on the car and especially that baby hemi, you seem like a deserving kid. You're chrome and stainless will clean up a lot if you take around a 4" x 4" piece of aluminum foil and wad it up into a ball. Dip it in a bowl of water or some kind of rust converter and start polishing. The water acts as a lubricant but if you use a product like Ospho it converts the minute rust specs. Follow it with some wax. Best of luck with the project.

chryslerfan55, RockinRivi and Hombre like this.
  12. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

PM me your address and I will ship the timing set. I will go ahead and cover the shipping....

13. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. upspirate

upspirate

Congrats Jake and good luck.
    Oh and post your location....it may help!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yeah. The stories this build will have...

kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

As we know Jake has accepted my offer, there was no way I could let a chevy motor go in there. I am not sure where Jake is from but I hope he has the coolest mopar in town. we now have a carb (dickster27), bearings (Hombre), and a timing chain set (porkshop), almost there. Hopefully the machining will be the easy part to get done. Hopefully you can drive it to graduation.
    Now on that note, if anyone knows of a buildable 354 for a fair price I am looking for one.
    Tony

17. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Jake---What area do you live in? The engine is in Wisconsin, I'm in Indiana, I'm offering to be your transport guy. I'm retired and deal well with road trips. I do need to know if it's doable as to how far apart you and your new engine are. PM me or just post it. If workable, I'll do it. Bill Rinaldi

18. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

I live in the St. Louis, Missouri area

chryslerfan55 and upspirate like this.
  19. WTF really

WTF really

How do you tell the difference in a 331 and a 354? I have a friend that has one for sale but I don't know the difference. It's disassembled so would be easy to check all of it. Thanks in advance for the lesson I love learning new stuff. I'm just so old now it doesn't last long lol.

20. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

There are numbers on the block, I believe on top by the water pump.

chryslerfan55 and WTF really like this.
  21. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Will get this sent out first of next week IMG_20171004_190604371.jpg

22. WTF really

WTF really

Ok I'll be out of town so will probably be two weeks before I can check but will asap. Thanks for the info.

23. Terry-The-Toad

Terry-The-Toad

I have to say I am extremely glad to see so many people from around the world posting about Andy. Newfoundland is a pretty small place, so it's a really cool feeling to know that theres a whole world of people out there who think about him and do these builds.

Thank you for this, its so nice to see this positivity.

24. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

Hello everybody! Thank you again to everyone donating, supporting, or even just watching this build. I would like to point out that I will be going to the hot rod hundred this Saturday near St. Louis, Missouri. I have attached a few pictures below of me, my dad (mrsedanman), and our friend John (cleancutcreations). If you are going and see any of us or either of the two cars posted, feel free to stop and say hey, or ask any questions or anything.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

I will hopefully be setting up a PayPal this weekend.

26. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mopar, I have sent you a message take a look, maybe I can help you with that 354.

WTF really likes this.
  27. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

Hello everyone, I have set up a PayPal and I will be accepting donations toward this build. From what I understand, if you would like to send me money at all through PayPal, then my email is [email protected]. You do not have to donate if you do not want to, but there were some people suggesting it, so here we go.

28. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

Sorry. I know how to pay for things with PayPal. But how do I donate thru PayPal? How does your email work in all this.

Apologies, I’m a slow learner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. cretin

cretin

After you click "send money" You select "send money to friends and family" Then you just follow the prompts to enter in email address, amount, etc.

chryslerfan55 and RockinRivi like this.