Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Crankshaft storage... what to spray on to prevent rust...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlineracer42, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ^^^^^^ sort of like what Old Wolf says ^^^^^^ you might buy a used crankshaft and be happy by storing it vertical not knowing that the last owner had it laying flat for decades.

Old wolf likes this.
  2. With all due respect I always thought this must be a wives tale otherwise the crank would not work in an engine.....

Old wolf likes this.
  3. I have a few stood up on end on the sill of my garage, held in place by a wire across the stud cavities. Not 100% vertical but close. Heard that was an old wife's tale. Best place is inside the block.

How about those products you dip tools into to make rubberized handles? The trick would to make sure it can be peeled off later on.

redlineracer42 likes this.
  4. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

I second this recommendation for Gibbs oil! My brother and I have used it for several different things including coating magnesium rims and it works great!

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

I guess my home made wooden crank holder that supports the front and back main needs to go in the burn pile . I have stored all sorts of crankshafts in it and never bent one. From stock cranks to high dollar race cranks . I built it about 25 years ago. I use the spray wax method and a bag to keep the dirt off. It washes off with solvent.

Old wolf likes this.
  6. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

I'm storing mine horizontally, so maybe it'll turn into a stroker?

bobss396, redlineracer42 and Old wolf like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I remember reading about the crank storage issue way back in the '70's, although I'm pretty sure it has to go back way beyond that. I have always stored them that way. For storage, I like #2 grease and saran wrap.

bobss396, redlineracer42 and Old wolf like this.