Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Surf Transportation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Leroy Grannis photo
    Hello,
    Those two girls are the famous So Cal, Calhoun sisters from Laguna Beach, CA. They were two of the best surfers in the whole area, always out in the water at Brooks St. and Oak St. when the waves were up. Their mother, looked like the sisters and was always mistaken as the third sister. She too, was a great surfer, looked fabulous, and was ever so friendly.

When Brooks Street was pumping, the mom and sisters were always on the beach or in the line up riding waves. They were the surf family of So Cal, true locals.

Jnaki
    Not only were they outstanding surfers, they (all three) also were very easy to look at and talk to in Laguna Beach.

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

3. badshifter

badshifter

IMG_8404.JPG IMG_8423.JPG IMG_8446.JPG Just got home from a week long surf trip in Central California.

4. Cool car! I was following you on the 101, never quite caught up.

5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-31_5-21-56.png 1962 upload_2017-7-31_5-22-21.png
    Hello,

While I had my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery in 1962 that was powered by an unknown brand stock flathead, my brother wanted something different from all of the other surf cars/vans. So he decided to buy this old, Jeep FC (Forward Control) 70hp 4 wheel drive truck with a camper shell in the bed.

Now, 70 HP was about the same as my stock flathead motor, but with the 4x4 drive, the camper shell plus everything he built into the camper made it quite heavy. (single bed, stove, small refrigerator, etc) The overall weight of 5000 lbs+ this 4x4 was super slow. My brother’s idea was that my delivery and the other VWs would get stuck in those Baja dirt roads in bad weather. He was proud that he had a 4x4.

We all had a laugh at that. His car was so slow that we never made it to Baja. (The 40 Ford Sedan Delivery needed to down shift in order to get up the El Morro Highway 1 hill in Laguna Beach, and the long, steep, Torrey Pines Hill in San Diego County.) The Jeep did get into the north San Diego Marine Base in the early a.m. The dirty green color hid well in the jungle plants and trees. This funky 4x4 did well in those dirt ruts leading to the secret spot in the tall trees near the beach. The Jeep just chugged along.

One thing that made him realize that this was a mistake purchase and build was an experience later on during that year. That winter, we drove the Jeep up to Rincon in the Santa Barbara Coast area. We had driven all along the LA County coast line because it was flat with no hills. That should have told us something was up.

We arrived, surfed great waves, ate hot chili in the back camper and had the time of our lives. But, the topper was that we needed to get back to Long Beach fast and the 101 freeway was the fastest route. It was my turn to drive and we started back on the 101 Freeway. We made it to Oxnard and started the long run up the hill just past Camarillo.

“However, after much debate, city officials persuaded Caltrans to lay the freeway parallel to Ventura Boulevard, creating the infamously steep descent from the Santa Monica Mountains, known as the Conejo Grade. The grade is about 2.7 miles (4.3 km) and posted as a 7% grade - which translates as about one thousand feet of elevation change in less than three miles (70 meters per kilometer).”

We were in the slow lane of the freeway with three boards strapped on top, just chugging up that long slow climb on the 101. (The top speed was 30-35 mph) Most people in the cars looked at us, laughed and pointed to the big hill climb up ahead. Then they laughed again.

Little did we know, but a CHP, B/W car was following us since the middle of Camarillo and I finally saw him in the outside mirrors. Just before we reached Camarillo Springs Rd, the CHP pulled us over. He saw that our top speed was holding up everyone in the slow lane and that we were a Hazard to drivers. Top speed? 30 mph…!

He told us to get off of the freeway immediately at Camarillo Springs, go to Pleasant Valley, then Las Posas to the beach and Highway 1. With that warning (no ticket), we took that route and made it home on flat roads much later than we were supposed to arrive in Long Beach.

Jnaki
    upload_2017-7-31_5-23-39.png
    Within two weeks, my brother sold that green, Jeep FC with the camper on the back. The new owner was this older guy that said he was going to live in it at the beach. He would move to another flat, beach side campground every 7-14 days when his State Park pass was up for the first spot. Did he mind the slow top speeds?… not on flat ground where he would be staying and it did have 4x4 power. The new owner was happy with his purchase.

My brother? He never admitted to the error purchase but, bought another VW van to convert to a surf explorer. Me? The reliable 40 Ford Sedan Delivery for those cool coastal trips to various surf spots secret and not so secret, kept me going.
    upload_2017-7-31_5-43-4.png upload_2017-7-31_5-43-27.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  6. bobfrev

bobfrev

surf's up, wildwood NJ

Attached Files:

• 45.jpg
      45.jpg
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Phantom Chevy. The others don't have surfboards, right genre though.
    minn 34 master woodie.JPG
    PFWLYS1.jpg
    Phantom 76 Olds (Only produced in 66s)
    Olds 3 08 b.JPG

8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-8-9_3-56-37.png Malibu Point PCH parking
    upload_2017-8-9_3-58-12.png The real "Gidget" with her 49 Buick convertible.
    Hello,

In the background is the famous “wall” at Malibu Surfrider Lagoon State Beach, otherwise known as “Malibu Point.” This place is famous for its long, outstanding waves that break in the summer. They come from those big hurricanes that come north from Baja Mexico and below. Recently, there were a string of tropical storms from Mexico heading out to Hawaii that brought big waves to Malibu and all south swell spots in So Cal.

This is one of the premier south swell surf spots in So Cal. But, the girl in the front of the chain link fence loading her board into her Buick convertible is non other than the original “Gidget.” (Kathy Kohner Zuckerman) The movie was about her life at Malibu. For those early times, she became a good surfer, not a "wanna be" surfer.

Jnaki

The photo of another Buick convertible was from our great grandma in 1951, driving the same model Buick convertible. Similar in stature, but, she was not a “Gidget.” She liked cars, was the nicest lady on the planet, she liked me for dating/marrying her daughter, had a geography class in college together, and had her birthday on the same day as me, but did not surf.
    upload_2017-8-9_4-5-15.png
    1951 Pacoima, CA. A couple of cruising ladies with the top down in a convertible, on a warm So Cal day... Typical driving style from what people see as driving in California. Throw in some palm trees, the beach, and ..."Cause that's how California rolls...yeah"

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

14. jnaki

jnaki

[​IMG]
    Robert August from Seal Beach, CA 1966 far left
    Mike Hynson from San Diego, CA 1966 2nd standing from left
    Bruce Brown from Dana Point, CA 1966 2nd standing from right

Hello,
    The iconic Endless Summer movie in 1966 was something to remember. Who was able to travel to points all over the world chasing the summer from So Cal to Australia, South Africa and elsewhere? That was every surfer's dream. The cars from that movie were classic surf vehicles from the 60's.

A great movie for any time period in history. Bruce Brown from Dana Point,CA had a voice that made you want to listen to every word. In person, he was just a class act. The days of surf movies shown at high school and college auditoriums with the actual film maker narrating live started with Bruce Brown making everyone feel at ease in during the show. Outside in the parking lots, surf wagons, vans, surf cars, woodies, etc, all made up the traveling circus.

Jnaki
    The sad thing is that all involved are now in their 70s-80s.

"...after the filming, the movie was shown at high school gymnasiums up and down the coast. August or Bruce Brown would narrate, the crowd hooting and hollering when the riders pulled into the long, perfect waves.

Bruce Brown wanted to get the movie into theaters around the nation, but no distributor would take it. The thinking was: Sure, it’s a cool movie, but other than surfers, who would be interested?

So he rented a theater in Wichita, Kan., in the middle of winter. Day after day, people lined up to wait outside in the snow to see the film.

Distributors realized it was more than just about the surfing; it was about the journey. It wasn’t long before it was shown around the world, in unexpected places as far away as Russia. It gained wide release in 1966."

(It’s a saying repeated over and over about the iconic surf film, despite it being more than five decades old: “The Endless Summer" changed my life.)
    upload_2017-8-24_5-17-4.png upload_2017-8-24_5-24-56.png

Fueler38, Lil32, Pete L. and 4 others like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-8-27_8-16-8.png
    Hello,

Who could forget this fabulous original song by The Sandals? The theme song to the Endless Summer... that movie made everyone in So Cal (probably everywhere else, too) want to go on a long summer vacation, hitting all of the hot surf spots.

It was one of the best products for the general public to the start of the hectic times in the years ahead. A great way to listen and drive up or down the coast, searching for your own Endless Summer…

Jnaki
    We could not fly off to places all over the world, like today's surfers, but we made the best of summer in California. The huge OC just south of LB, Malibu, Los Angeles, Trestles in San Clemente, Windansea in La Jolla, 3 M's and K38 in Baja, Mazatlan on the mainland Mexico, ETC. 1000s of miles of driving day and night to get the pristine waves at the best times...

Sandals, Endless Summer theme song... this just capped off the "Drives."
    upload_2017-8-27_8-26-39.png

2Blue2, Lil32, Pete L. and 5 others like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Just two days ago, my wife was cleaning out her sister's garage. That place is a total mess, with racks of just... "stuff," we call it junk. But, to our surprise and amazement, she handed my wife this classic wall hanging she has kept over the years. An original Endless Summer wall hanging with Robert August, Mike Hynson and Bruce Brown images on the metal plate. Now, it graces our garage wall.

Jnaki

upload_2017-10-4_8-32-39.png
    upload_2017-10-4_8-33-11.png Day-Glo poster for “The Endless Summer” movie
    designed by John van Hamersveld

We certainly were envious of that great world wide trip. But, driving around to different spots, in a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, was an Endless Summer for us in So Cal.
    upload_2017-10-4_8-32-18.png

Rolleiflex, Lil32, Pete L. and 5 others like this.
  17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Well I’ll add mine in to the mix, This was owned by Lynn (CW MOSS) Willliams, P-Wood, Chris Kidd and finally me for the past 20 yrs. AA530D97-2527-4354-A6EB-0313226A4A3A.png BF4D7765-E22A-4AE8-B4E3-595128D72320.png
    look pretty close at that rear shot, there’s some kool stuff on that tailgate and hangin our the back.
    1. Grass Hat (Think Punchy-Hawaiian Punch)
    2. A CON 10’ Long Board
    3. A Yater (Santa Barbara) Long (Skate) Board with clear wheels.
    4. A Genuine Pendleton Shirt-(Early Surfwear)
    5. Wicker type Picnic Basket set up.
    6. “Surf City”-Huntington Beach License Late Frame
    7. 34 Woody CALIFORNIA Plate.
    Not in these pix, my late brother Bob brought vintage carved Tiki’s Down and His Con Surf Board that he designed with Con and surfed with in the 60’s.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  18. wizzo

wizzo

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-11-30_4-17-8.png
    Hello,

How many times can you see two cool looking surf wagons in one place? On our recent holiday vacation to Santa Barbara, we were at the Kimpton Goodland Resort Hotel just north in Goleta, CA. The resort has been turned over as the quintessential sample of the 1960’s surfer style, laid back, designs. The first thing we saw upon driving up the wide driveway entrance was a cool Ford Woody and a huge silver Airstream trailer.
    upload_2017-11-30_4-20-51.png upload_2017-11-30_4-18-15.png upload_2017-11-30_4-20-13.png

The overall resort web photos from the people that have stayed here since it was once a Holiday Inn from the early 1960’s until 2014 are pretty complete. But, because it is a So Cal coastal town, near the university, near countless outstanding surf spots, the overall design fits right into the vibe created by the Kimpton Corp.
    upload_2017-11-30_4-22-5.png

“In the surf culture, the word “epic” is reserved for something that’s the very best. As in an epic day at the beach or, an epic ride on a point break wave that takes you all the way to shore. Then there’s our epic surf styled suites of course. So Cal coastal vibe of textured wood surfaces, retro macrame accents, and overstuffed furniture plushed with inviting natural fabrics. They are all paired with dashes of sun-splashed color for effect that is pure California. Since you are here to spread out and relax, we’ve got you covered with ample square footage big enough for your longboard and paired with a semi-private patio, perfect for sipping, chilling, or just taking in the poolside views.”
    upload_2017-11-30_4-23-28.png

Then, while in town for dinner, we saw this cool looking Mercury Comet Woody Station Wagon cruising down State Street. The lowered stance with all of the accessories, just made it look like mid 60’s cruising scene in Santa Barbara. Whether or not the owner is a surfer was beside the point. It just looked like it should be parked at Hope Ranch or the Devereux Point parking lot waiting for the big north swell.

As fortune would have it, my wife happened to see it parked in the far reaches of the parking lot at the Kimpton Goodland Resort Hotel, where we were staying for a few days. I had to photograph it just to show her the cool details added to a fine looking cruising wagon. What station wagon still has chromed curb feelers? Plus, the custom spotlight fender mirror attachment? The shift lever, turn signal, and door locks, made from machined color layers of Lexan fit right into the 60's vibe.
    upload_2017-11-30_4-25-38.png upload_2017-11-30_4-25-56.png
    upload_2017-11-30_4-26-13.png
    upload_2017-11-30_4-26-49.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/creative-dash-knobs.1043180/#post-11814279

Jnaki

There were several other 2 door and 4 door wagons in the various parking lots at the Santa Barbara surf spots. With the new winter swell approaching, there will be more arriving soon.

20. Like'em all

Like'em all

Hi Ryan!
    I see you are in Austin, I’m in Bastrop. I’ve got the perfect blend of late 60’s/early 70’s hot rod & surfing. 47 Willy’s jeep station wagon done in my version of a late 60’s hot rod surf wagon complete with 30+ water dip surfing decals, half a dozen 60’s longboards, Radir Tri-spokes w/wide whites and cheaters... you welcome to stop by some weekend DC9F9DE9-3752-4F6F-831A-C1332EB10DAD.jpeg

21. Like'em all

Like'em all

That top buggy w/the hibiscus detail was done by my buddy Randy Carlson at Old bugs.com

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-12-16_16-25-34.png upload_2017-12-16_16-25-53.png
    upload_2017-12-16_16-26-11.png Bruce Brown Films
    Hello,

It was a sad day to hear of the passing of Bruce Brown. He was a legend in the surfing circles. Time passes and but those memories of going to one of his first shows at a high school auditorium, still linger. Grabbing the best seats we could, getting all excited as he walks on stage to introduce the movie. Then as the lights dim and our anxieties are at their highest, he walks over to the edge of the stage and starts in his calm voice about the huge rolling wave on the screen…much to the hoots and hollers from the audience. (Including a young teenage surfer from Long Beach.)

Jnaki
    We will always have "Surfing Hollow Days!"
    Thank you Bruce for the memories… a local Long Beach/Dana Point legend.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/11/filmmaker-bruce-brown-creator-of-the-endless-summer-dies-at-80/

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

SAM_5360.JPG art by Robert Blumhagen

24. Like'em all

Like'em all

25. Like'em all

Like'em all

26. Like'em all

Like'em all

Huh... interesting trivia re: Church. Yes, it was nearly impossible to surf with the western White House going on but that didn’t stop our intrepid band of “inlanders”.. we’d ditch Corona Jr High (not Del Mar!) and catch a ride with someone’s high school brother. Surfed it 100’s of times but to this day I’ve always called it “Church’s”... 43 years later my Brian won’t compute any other way..

jnaki likes this.
  27. Like'em all

Like'em all

We called Kauai home 2005-2015(I still do!)

28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-4-3_5-37-54.png
    Hello,
    This red, 29 Dodge Woody gets around… "Round, round, get around, I get around…” We have seen it driving around all over So Cal. (From South in San Clemente to North in Long Beach.) It is not a garage queen, but a daily driver. It was/is a very popular woody at the Donuts and Derelicts weekly car show and shine.

A lot of woodies get driven on the weekends and to car shows. My old neighbor had a maroon 46 Ford woody that he drove to work once a week, just to keep it running well. But, most of the time, it sat in his garage. We have seen this Dodge woody, just about any day of the week, when we are out and about.

Usually, it can be seen coming in the opposite lane as the red color and wood combination stick out quite well. But, as So Cal traffic goes, it is hard to get a nice photo unless anyone is following the woody/or any hot rod down the street.

Jnaki

With the spring season coming along, the So Cal woody shows will be popping up. This woody will probably be attending most of those shows. (Dana Point/Doheny [April 28], Seal Beach , Huntington Beach, and other So Cal beach cities…)

Check out the custom tinted windows to ward off that hot Southern California sun.
    upload_2018-4-3_5-46-28.png upload_2018-4-3_5-46-50.png
    upload_2018-4-3_5-47-7.png The neat thing, when the car is coming down the street towards you, is the stance. It is just lowered enough to look like a road hugging 50's-60's surf wagon on a mission to get to the beach. Back in those old, 10-11 foot "longboard" days, the boards would have to be strapped to the top or sticking out of the rear window, with the front seat, back or low as possible. Later on, the individual bucket seats with lay back seats made it easier to transport the old longboards.

Lil32, 40two, exterminator and 2 others like this.
  29. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Jnaki,
    Thanks for sharing the awesome info. I surfed the Jersey Shore for many years and loved going to watch the surf movies in local venues. Everybody would be drunk and/or stoned off their asses, hotting and hollering at every magnificent ride. I'll see you in the Green Room bro!

Ghostcruiser and jnaki like this.
  30. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

40DA3D21-36FC-4035-A3DF-EAECD38A7A36.jpeg So looking at this post again, decided to show a shot of mine in front of a Kool house on PCH and then post a picture of a 34 Woody Wagon from 1963 headed to “Surf City” looking fir some Kool Surf and “Two Girls for ever Guy!!!!” 4CE51C2C-472F-4D0A-9FA8-89510D7951AA.jpeg