Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51' merc questions...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Low-n-Rusty, Oct 1, 2017.

1. williebill

williebill

Good.... Dashed dreams are much better than the alternative.....
    Barren shores ain't so bad, either...
    Run, Rat, run..

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

if you really want a merc there is several on flea bay for less money than that and they are original you can make it what you want

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

An OEM Merc convertible frame has 1/2 in strips of metal
    welded to the entire length of the top and bottom of the "X"cross member to make it about 400 pounds heavier than the coupe so it will be less prone to a rollover. Also adds strength as the metal top has been replaced by the cloth top. OEM Merc also has and extra floor to frame brace near each door opening.

Attached Files:

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2 - answered your own question

5. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

I have been looking and yes I am selling everything and making the transition. I did see a red / burgandy one , looked pretty nice but found my way to the listing website and saw some underneath pictures... pretty rotted from the inside out. I'm looking for what everyone is looking for, reasonably clean, chopped custom... paint and interior I can do, kind of rough on body work but I'm good with mechanical. I'll keep looking and appreciate all the input. Here in north carolina the pickings appear to be pretty sparse compared to other areas of the country but I would travel if needed. Under 30k.

6. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

I worked for a short while at a place that was chopping off the tops of cadillacs and lincolns and putting convertible tops on them and low and behold they had the same flex problem. Makes perfect sense.

7. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

only after some input.... one get's hungry sometimes and makes stupid decisions... glad I decided to make the inquiry here and let the dust settle before making the decision.

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

if you can be patient and keep looking do a search on craigslist also, could take awhile. hate to say this but you might want to search on the west side of the country. the drier the better.

clunker likes this.
  9. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

West coast doesn't scare me... my '39 (yes the ' is in the right spot. ha... and thanks) came fromArizona... only issue is I'd need someone in the know to vouch for it.

63unibodyfan likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wise move to back off that one. In reality the 1200GS is worth more than it is.

11. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

actually, was being nice... mine is a '05 Road King Classic, black cherry... sweet bike but my back is giving out on me... kind of the issue in my 39'. They tend to be pretty small and with a large chop, me 6'1", it's a tough climb. I want to lie back in a sled....

12. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

The BMW is a nice piece of machinery.... just gettin old..lol

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

sled is the way to go if you find something out west im sure someone here could look at it for you. there are companies that also do it.

14. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

[​IMG]

so ignoring the fact that this is a glass body... this would be my dream car... little chop, slam it down, put teeth in the front, flat black with a satin finish... I did like the flat head in the convertible, sounded great, almost like my 42 ford tractor..ha. but would do with a modern drive for cruising. Have a 20' enclosed hauler so ready to come pick it up.

15. ebfabman

ebfabman

2003 was the 100th anniversary for Harley Davidson

16. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

yes, wasn't trying to correct my elders... or maybe youngers... lol

17. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

so on fleabay, I could see this brought to flat black ? change out the wheels, etc....

hulk green small.jpg

18. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I just sold a barn solid 50 coupe, unmolested with spare parts for $6K. Local guy has a NICE stock 50 coupe with stock flathead and original mohair interior, good driver, for $18K. EXK here on the HAMB has a couple of 49/50s that have had some work done on them that are on the market for less $$$ than he has in them (owners flaked on their projects). Lots of solid cars out there, life's too short to start out with crap.

clunker likes this.
  19. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

yes, keep watching here, don't see anything under 50k that jumps out at me... trying to be patient... life is short though. Could be gone tomorrow... god bless those souls in vegas this last week.

20. Slopok

Slopok

That was my mistake, did the math wrong, not one of my strong points!o_O

21. japchris

japchris
    from England

I was going through some old photos a mate was chucking out last night and this one caught my eye. Don't know when or where it was taken. - (Notice it is a pickup.)
    [​IMG]
    For comparison -
    [​IMG]

22. I'll see you there brother, just make sure you keep at least one bike so we can ride around and try to pick up some lepper hula girls. (Hopefully there's no helmet law there.)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Run away....run away...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I'm dreaming of a Merc too but have "settled" for Lincoln Capris for now....I got a couple solid builders if anyone is interested....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's gotta be the same "car" (doors molded, lake pipes, same windshield chop, wheels, wheelcovers, etc.) . That explains why the later fitted trunk lid doesn't fit. As I stated earlier-external hinges and no inner hinge support structure caused a warped tulip panel.
    Well, for the O/P: you can transform it back to it's ramp back version, not sell off your Harley and take it along. You can use the front tire as an armrest. Ugh...

26. There are other places that Sell Old & Street Rods & Custom's
    Auto Round-up Magazine
    its a Bi-weekly Magazine which has all Kinds of Car's in it

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

27. Low-n-Rusty

Low-n-Rusty

Got it, I'm there now... my budget started running away in my enthusiasm...realty hitting...need to pull back a bit. I started looking higher and higher...the price of toys.

28. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I have this 51 for sale. Has a 302,auto, 9" real solid body asking 23k

Attached Files:

29. Leadsled52

Leadsled52

I've got one for sale too .

Attached Files:

Rocks Rod & Custom likes this.
  30. Here's my 4dr with a carson and VW qtr windows and regulators' pretty easy. welded a heavy pipe brace to a plate on the floor to stiffen the stock door post.
    [​IMG]

Surfcityrocker likes this.