Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bonami and other snake oils questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willowbilly3, May 26, 2017.

1. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I've been driving it quite a bit, mostly just short drives around town because of the 4.56 gears. It's a fun old truck but no plans to do much else to it for now. I did change oil to straight 50 (with some Lucas) because it has little or no oil pressure when warmed up with the 15-40.
    I actually have everything gathered to start another 59 F250 4x4 build. I'm using a late 79 running gear and a 460/ZF. I'm thinking about haul the original one out to a ranch 100 miles from here where I rock and fossil hunt and just leave it so I have something to get down to the river with.

Thanks for the experiences and opinions.

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

At the swap meet last weekend I bought a big box of lubricants, mostly Kendal and Valvoline motor oil plus some ATF and also in there were two new bottles of Prolong. I'm gonna pour 'em in my beater so if you see a want ad for a SBC and 700r4 you'll know how well it works. ;) 0423182001_resized.jpg

Montana1 likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well I guess I have to tell my story. At our Fire Dept shop, we needed another shop truck, Chief said no money, we said what if we find one for free? Ok. We go to the city junk yard and find a good bodied Dodge, bring it to the shop,(with some cop car wheels )and my helper gets it running, it had 50,000 miles on it. Ran ruff, blow by, smoked.
    Changed oil or what was supposed to be oil, kinda thick, also filter. My helper did this every two weeks for a couple months and drove it. It finely quit smoking, ran better. He drove it to 100,000 miles and then handed down to another dept, and they drove it for a while.So... you might want to try that! Bones