Register now to get rid of these ads!

seats with integral seat/shoulder belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Jan 16, 2012.

1. driverquality

driverquality

They look identical to the seats in an ‘01 Tahoe I had, except the headrests are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TFoch likes this.
  2. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Just a random thought but all these are in cars with airbags. It's a whole system and I would think the airbag is to keep you from eating the steering wheel on initial impact. Something we hope our shoulder harness will do but maybe not what those seat mount shoulder harnesses were really meant to do by themselves. I have a hard time imagining the seatback wouldn't distort pretty bad in a hard collision. Just something to think about.

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Put a set of 2014 Mustang buckets in a 35 Ford 2door . Just had to make spacers for the seats to set level.
    Made oversize plates to go under the floor to distribute the force in case of an accident. They fit very well. Looked good too.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Designing seat belts to turn the seat back into a cantilever off the floor is never going to be first prize, but it's better than either no shoulder belts or shoulder belts with bad geometry or inadequate anchorage. But the engineering isn't alchemy; it's accessible given a bit of research and a bit of reason.

Allowing some safety factor, it looks like a typical belt itself is good for a deceleration of upwards of 50G. In the absence of sufficient data on the way a human body actually decelerates in a collision, this is probably a good figure to design around. There's no point in designing the structure of a car significantly stronger than the point where your inertia would snap the belts: by then the system has already failed, and you'll only have added weight.

But, supposing the system is a cantilever coming out of the floor (i.e. the seat back) with a forwards force acting at the top of it, we're dealing with a bending moment in the floor plus a shear force in the plane of the floor. But it doesn't stop there: the floor is in turn imparting bending and shear onto the frame etc. etc. all through the car. Every link in the chain needs to be considered.

Halfdozen likes this.
  5. partssaloon

partssaloon

Yes, the headrests have been removed !

6. All the ones I find the belt sticks up above the seat like this one. Not like the ones @partssaloon has. Seats Chevy.jpg

7. partssaloon

partssaloon

Your upholsterer could cut and lower the belt corner and remove the headrests. I think that is what was done to mine.

8. OK thanks for the reply.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Using 2008 Sebring conv seats in my 55 Sunliner. Built in three point belts. No computer stuff needed. I replaced the original seat belts with three point belts from Wesco, fit perfect. I have sectioned the seat backs three inches just for athestics. If they weren't in upholstery jail I would post a photo.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

These are out of a Tahoe or a Suburban. It would be pre 2001. Chevy pickups did not come with bucket seat options for a few years. Only 60/40 style seating. Yes, the headrests have been removed.

partssaloon likes this.