Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Engine advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devmar07, Oct 2, 2017.

1. squirrel

squirrel

If the trans was built like some of us expect the engine was, that might not be a good idea, either.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

actually you need the reciepts especially if a shop did the work. I just bought a back up 356" for our 422" 1/2 mile dirt track Super/pro stock. It was an IMCA modified alcohol engine which uses similar rules. All iron, flat tappet cam. It had 14.7-1 JE pistons, RHS 220 Iron heads ( not made anymore), Crower rockers, Eagle crank/rods,(not cheap ones), comp cam, correct tappet with oiling holes, and gears, Edelbrock victor manifold, 2 bolt block machined to 4 (best one), Moroso pan, and all reciepts with one race.$3300. I took it all apart since I was going to use MLS gaskets to stone the surfaces and lower the compression 1 point. Inspected everything. It was perfect, I could not have built it for that.

3. Devmar07

Devmar07

The guy has multiple projects going sometimes you sacrifice one for another, this engine and transmission is in a nova he is trying to sell but I don' want the car so I talked him into separating the 2.

4. Devmar07

Devmar07

It's hard to trust anyone now days. You almost have to stand over the engine builder to make sure your getting what you pay for. I do most all of my own work but I have never built an engine nor do I have the tools to do so.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have no idea about the 'quality' of the engine/trans work, but i do think the advice given about it's suitability for your purposes is valid.

Observing the choices others have made, and maybe some of my own, clearly it is difficult to underestimate the allure of a "deal that is too good to be true".

Ray

squirrel likes this.
  6. shadams

shadams

If I could do it all over again, I would def do a manual trans. My truck is just boring to drive. If a stick is out of the question than for sure an od unit. I run about 2700 at 65 or so which is fine but gas mileage sucks. I also went for a mild build and wish I had spent the money at the time for a little more power. These are toys after all and no point in being conservative haha....

7. Devmar07

Devmar07

I definitely appreciate everyone's input. Ill just save my pennies and buy new

rjones35 likes this.
  8. abner36

abner36

Some one selling a new "built" engine that they have never started or ran always has me wondering why? Why spend the money and time and never use it? I'm with squirrel I like to build my own so know what is in there and how it is in there.

9. squirrel

squirrel

If you can find a slightly used engine/trans that you can drive around, listen to it run, see how it works, etc then it's not quite as big a risk.

Or one that the seller sounds like he knows what he's talking about... :)

Old wolf likes this.
  10. you can drive it? and listen to it? it shifts? might not be a bad deal.

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

When a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true! Buyer beware!

12. Budget36

Budget36

If it's sitting in the car, will he let you fire it up?

13. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I mean't was its hard for me to believe a sbc would cost 7500 to build that isn't finished and if you paid 2500 for it now it would still cost much more to make it a street engine plus the time involved.
    I would go with squirrel's advice

14. If he lets you listen to it and if it runs out ok, I'd prolly do it. IF the compression is up there, the giant cam will help drop the compression down a bit. I'd dump the automatic trans for a manual. Like you said, the trans [which I'd sell] is worth a good part of $2500 I suppose. Back down the timing a bit, run 91 octane or even set the thing up for E-85 and go with it!

15. deucemac

deucemac

Unless I personally know the builder, the machine shop, and the parts used in the build, I pass. If any one of those items is not known to me, I consider it à possible rebuildable core. There is wisdom in what Squirrel says about building an engine. I build all my own withparts and machine work specific to what I want to end up with.

16. I would just put a 250 six with a stick transmission in it. Then you can drive it use it and not consume a lot of fuel. Just last Sat I went to a auction and bought a huge heavy load of Farmall tractor parts. 200 mile round trip spent $30 on gas as $2.50 per gallon. Truck has 250 six sm420 trans Dana rear with 336 gears. Grayson & papa's truck 008.JPG

17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always operated on the theory that someone else's rebuild should be bought at core prices. If, on the other hand, you really know the builder and his reputation then it then becomes a maybe.

Another thing to consider about receipts--are they for the engine you're looking at or for the one the seller unloaded a month ago?

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If I bought it I would dis assemble and check everything and replace the pistons or heads. I drove a high compression engine in the late 70s when 97 0ctane pump gas was still sold. The 93 octane available now I don't feel is good enough for more than 10.5/1. There is no way to tell the condition of the engine or transmission if it doesn't run.

Some transmission shops have a dyno to test transmissions.

Without a warranty you're buying an unknown pile of parts.

Old wolf likes this.
  19. rjones35

rjones35

It might be a "deal" going by the numbers, but if it's not what you actually need, it doesn't matter. Like others have said basically, you can have 10k in parts in an engine, but have some moron put it together and it doesn't matter. it's junk. New rebuild, not fired up yet, seems like a bad idea.

Old wolf likes this.
  20. tinkirk

tinkirk

look into a crate motor otherwise
    there are some good ones out there
    Tinkirk/Terry

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

12 to 1 compression won't like pump gas. I'd pass on it and buy a crate motor.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.