Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '46 Ford Deluxe Coupe - Altitude adjustment and more...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fiftiescat, Sep 30, 2017.

1. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Just picked up a '46 coupe, original 59A flatty... all stock and original aside from a paint job years back and the interior redone...

Looking to lower this thing... first in the rear and then the front. What are my options here?

This car is still 6v... it's got a bit of an ignition break up here and there, I have no problem sticking with traditional points ignition, but are there any decent aftermarket dizzy's out there worth using? Speedway looks like they have a cheap piece of junk and I've seen a few units here and there on eBay. Curious to what everyone is running.

Anyone know if a slingshot manifold will fit under the hood of a '42-'48?

I'm dying to get into this thing I just can't decide where to start!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Steves46, Mtn Goat, els and 9 others like this.
  2. Thats a nice looking little coupe.

els, fiftiescat and cosmotiki like this.
  3. footbrake

footbrake

Hello!!!! Just leave it alone

els and fiftiescat like this.
  4. "JUST LEAVE IT ALONE" ???? I thought this was a HOT ROD board, traditional at that!

els and scrap metal 48 like this.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Agreed, looks good as it sits, leave it alone.

els likes this.
  6. Sorry, I thought I was on the H.A.M.B. , not FORD BARN.o_Oo_O:)

fiftiescat, els, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  7. e z i

e z i

Reverse eye springs, front and rear, dropped axle, stock distributor is just fine.
    Tune up, cruise.... oh yeah, two pipes....

els and rodncustomdreams like this.
  8. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

The pics look lower than my stocker, (and a heck of a lot nicer too!!). While you may want to go lower, it would help to know what the starting point is; do you know if anything has been done to get the stance you have now, or is is "as delivered" from Henry?

9. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

It needs a bit of work... a little too slow to drive on the highway, the wiring needs to be replaced, and it's got a few weather stripping issues.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  10. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I love the neighbor hood photo!! Looks like it was taken in the mid '60's.

11. flatford39

flatford39

Either you got a real weak rear spring or that thing already has been lowered in the ass end. I would do it incrementally. Start by going with a reverse eye front spring and then check your wheel clearance (tire rubbing). If you want more than start looking for a dropped axle or have yours dropped. It really is lower than stock now so I would be a little careful.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool looking coupe.. Will be killer when you get it in the weeds....

13. Long Shakles 6" and youre home free

els and lodaddyo like this.
  14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Looks great! I lowered my 47 that way, reversed the eyes on my stock main leafs and a 6" shackle in the rear. Also converted it to tube shocks.
    IMG_0296.JPG

15. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

The rear spring is shot. I figured I'll start in the back and work my way forwards.

16. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

It's got 2 pipes, the tips were ugly so I took em off. Gonna completely re do the exhaust as well. It's got stock manifolds and the whole system has little leaks.

els, rodncustomdreams and lodaddyo like this.
  17. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I bought a set of headers from reds.,the extensions and ran dual mellowtone steelpacks. Chrome pencil tips . 59ab sounds good

pdgtx4, els and rodncustomdreams like this.
  18. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Yes, the Slingshot manifold will fit w/air cleaners. Picture of mine mocked up attached. I've got a thread going for my build-up that may be of interest to you: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...cities-1948-ford-build.1021019/#post-12218952.

WP_20161220_14_33_00_Pro.jpg

19. IMG_0297.JPG The slingshot is a excellent performing manifold and also looks good;ditch the stock exhaust and run headers with glass packs and you will enjoy the mild changes!

els, rodncustomdreams and fiftiescat like this.
  20. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. How much lowering will or will not work for you will depend on whether you plan to use it as a daily driver or not. You have to take into account tail dragging going in & out of drives, speed bumps in parking lots, etc.
    having that low look looks real cool but it will not impress anyone that see's & hears that scrape when the tail drags.
    the photo of the lowered coupe in one of the above posts looks great but it definitely is a tail Dragger.
    Likely that is behind the leave it alone comments. That does not mean do not modify anything on the car as most engine add on's really look good on flatheads.
    Jimmie

21. ...get it to sit like this an yer on the money...
    barnharts 46.jpg

fiftiescat, Mtn Goat, els and 2 others like this.
  22. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

els likes this.
  23. rfraze

rfraze

There is a flattened front crossmember available which raises the front spring perch and does a good job of getting the front down without sacrificing ride. Drill out rivets, replace, reassemble.

els likes this.
  24. Your coupe is a spitting image of mine. I put a dropped axle and reverse eyed spring up front, reversed the spring and longer shackles in the back but I'd like to add longer shackles in the front for an extra inch lower. I had a stock axle dropped, you will have to modify your spindle arms, drag link and pan hard bar if you go this route. My car has 6.00 16's up front and 7.50 16's in the back

Slingshot should fit no problem

That dual point ford distributor is awesome but changing to a crab cap (same distributor just different cap clips, cap and rotor) is a lot easier to wire.

IMG_3297.JPG IMG_3307.JPG IMG_4544.JPG

ReDo, 2bubbas, Mtn Goat and 3 others like this.
  25. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

WOW Chris. Now that one has the stance of a lowered daily driver that should be able to go anywhere without dragging. Jimmie

els likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

fiftiescat, your 46 coupe looks great, I wouldn't touch it. Its just the way I build them leaving all the stainless and chrome the way it came from the factory. Black also makes everything look better.

Gary

rodncustomdreams, fiftiescat and els like this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

to lower the front: reversed eye main leaf; de-arch leafs; remove 2nd leaf from top & 4th leaf from top leaf; better ride with a panhard bar & a stabilizer bar & gas tube shocks - rear; gas tube shocks & longer shackles, or replace rear springs with aftermarket 2"- 3" lowering springs - a Ford Maverick, and others, 8" rearend good way to install taller gears to help with highway use

28. Hahaha...love it.