Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Dodge pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Sep 29, 2017.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I have a 34 Dodge pickup with the suicide doors. This was a big 1 1/2 ton. Im wanting to build a 1/2 ton. Wondering what years frames are the same or close enough. Or better yet, if someone had a half ton frame they'd sell that'd be even better.

2. Budget36

Budget36

I'd start with confirming the cab is the same size as a pickup, if so, the hood and grille are probably the same too, fenders won't be...so you'd be on the hunt for those.

Cool thing about the early '30's PU's, you can pretty much make a suitable bed, find matching fenders from whatever that look good on it, and make flat running boards to tie it all together...meaning you don't have to spend years looking for '34 Dodge PU parts.

As far as frames go, if it's anything like my '32 Dodge PU, it'll be a pretty easy on to fabricate...i/e nothing like trying to make a '34 Ford frame from scratch...mine is pretty straight forward, I/e my rails are straight, just not parallel to each other, no funky bend, etc, to do.

Good luck with it!

3. I don't remember if the 1 1/2 ton used the big truck grille or the sedan/pick-up grille, but either the front sheet metal is the same as a car, or everything is different.
    If you can't find the correct frame, might as well start from scratch, then mods don't mean reworking what is already done once.

4. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

What you do is, use the wifes pilothouse frame and sell me the rest :D

5. scotts52

scotts52

^^I plan on living to see my next birthday so that's not an option^^ lol

The cab is the same as the half tons. I have a half ton bed and the half ton grill. The big truck fenders and grill are indeed different. The fenders are repopped in fiberglass. Not what I really want but if there's no other choice then that's how it'll be. I was super lucky to find a grill. Some guy found it out in the woods at a long forgotten cabin and the grill was in a trash pile near it. He said there was a fender there too and he'd try to grab it next time he went hunting but I never heard from him again. The grill is almost as rare as hens teeth and so most guys go fiberglass on that too. I'm not really a fabricator nor do I have deep pockets so am hoping to find a useable frame. I could move mounts but I have zero experience in making anything resembling a frame.

6. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Just curious, do you think a 52 dodge frame would even be a option?
    I have one that need to finish grabbing parts, then dispose of the rest.
    I am thinking it would be to wide, but throwing it out there. a 109.jpg

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

One way to find out...get a tape measure and see if it will fit.

8. The 1/2 ton fame in 1933-1935 pickup was the same as a 1933 passenger car short wheelbase frame. All hard to find but they are out there. Good looking truck when done. Good luck

9. countrytravler

countrytravler

We have what you need.

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

just cut your frame shorter