Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods adapting a turbo350 to a Buick 401 nailhead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty gallons, Oct 2, 2017.

1. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

I recently acquired a very good running '60 401 Nailhead.
    it was in an OT vehicle with a 3 speed Ford manual trans behind it. I do NOT want to try to fit the clutch linkage into the '40 Ford coupe this will be going into... So,.. I would like to sell all this clutch stuff that fit the back of the Nailhead and adapted it to the Ford 3 speed trans and put an automatic trans behind the 401 before I put it all in the '40.
    Question therefore is, what auto transmissions, flex plates and converters will fit the engine... and are there adapter plates commercially made to match a turbo 350 to the 401?
    I am going to complete the making of my memory of the car that got me into hot rods way back in early 60's by putting this engine/trans combo in my '40 and removing the monster chevy Big Block.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Google Nailhead Buick transmission adaptors or such and stuff will pop up for you.

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Kato Kings likes this.

5. X2 on the suggestion to go with a nailhead pattern T400, and the crank adapter for the torque converter nose.

The switch pitch is nice, but a std single stall speed trans will work fine. 64-66 nailhead used the T400 or in Buick lingo the ST400 (Super Turbine) or the SP400

6. cretin

cretin

An adapter is available for a 4L60E if you would be interested in that.

7. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

Just keep in mind you'll need a 64-66 ST400. The nailhead doesn't have the BOP bell housing bolt pattern.

8. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Thanks guys, I have learned a few things today. This motor is a 1959, 401 engine according to the casting number and the code on front of the engine. I find that the adapters from Bendtsen are pretty specific according to the year models with the grouping of '59-'60 being separate from most, and, of course I have the engine that the adapters cost almost 3 times as much as all the rest. LOL
    I am now on the trail of a switch-pitch. about half of the cost of the adapters.

9. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

As things go it SEEMS to be working out.. but I always find a snake lurking in the woodpile,... So... I bought a turbo 400 off a (I believe)64 Buick today, (it has the little 2 prong electric switch, lower drivers side, which I am hoping means a switch pitch) was given a standard torque converter along with it. Nice, but I noticed this evening that there is no flex plate and the flex plate I see for the Buick transmission has no starter ring gear..
    new question emerges.... what do I need to make this work?
    Thanks for all the thoughts so far...

10. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota