Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lever shock rebuild down under nz

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20170923_155956.jpg 20170923_155930.jpg Wondering if any Hambers in NZ know of someone capeable of rebuilding the old Armstrong lever shocks. It still dampens ok but leaks badly. Previously we had roto flo shocks but one froze up.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I cant remember who does them but a read in a recent Beaded Wheels Mag may give a result and maybe a visit to the local Vintage Car Club may help as they get theirs done somewhere. Good luck, Brian. JW

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for that JW I will give beaded wheels a shot. I was given an email of a guy in Christchurch who is supposed to rebuild ford houdaille type shocks ( I was asking him about model A shocks for a buddys car) but after 10 days still no reply. So that lead may be a dead end.

4. I have seen some of those early shockers that had a worn bush and leather seal, re-worked to take a needle or roller bearing, backed up with a lip-type oil seal . Maybe take one to a local machine shop, and get them to look it over.

5. alchemy

alchemy

How about I pull the working shocks off my daughter's MG and send them in trade for your old Roto Flo's? I'll pay shipping both ways.

Or, I have a pair of all chrome Armstrongs that I would trade as well. But I've never had them on a car so I don't know if they leak or not, so that wouldn't really solve your problem. But you sure would look good!

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  6. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Do you really need to use those particular dampers? The picture is of a pre-war/early post war Armstrong with the vertical valve in the base. Shouldn't be difficult to find a pair of Morris Minor/MG B or Midget etc. rear dampers that have the valve horizontally across the base. The later ones do seem to have much better damping action.

If the Levers on the dampers you choose appear in the wrong place you can press them off once you have ground off the peening where the fine splined shaft goes though the lever. If you grind the lever boss down a bit more before replacing the lever, it will leave enough material to re-peen the shaft when you press the levers back on.

When you do press the levers back on, make sure to support the steel bung at the rear of the damper, otherwise the shaft is sure to push it out. If it does pop out anyway, just peen the Ali casing back over when you replace the bung once you've finished pressing.

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haven't checked beaded wheels as yet, there is supposed to be a guy near Christchurch ? There is supposed to be a guy north of Sydney AU selling new ones??
    There are a couple of loosers on U tube that "rebuild" their shocks basically the show their astounding knowledge as to how they work, top them up with oil and rattle can paint them >DUH what about the oil leaks etc and cleaning out the pistons and replacing the shaft seal!!!.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  8. Use enough paint and they won't leak...........much.:rolleyes::D JW

zzford likes this.
  9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Send them over to the big Island: (dont have any connection to these guys)
    Leslie S G & Sons Pty Ltd
    Suspension, Shock Absorbers & Springs - Heidelberg West, VIC 3081
    19 Mologa Rd, Heidelberg West VIC 3081

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Please note - Leslie & Sons do not rebuild early Ford shockers

11. Avgas

Avgas

I don't think Leslie's do leaver action's! There are a couple of places in Sydney that rebuild these! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the heads up , the old lever actions are a different animal on their own . As are the old houdaille shocks different again .
    There is supposed to be some place north of sydney that has new ones?? So the rumour goes.

13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

they do Armstrongs for the MG people

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All better now ,sent them to Barry at Autolign in Christchurch . Rebuilt and back within a week. How's that for service plus they had to traverse between two islands.

kadillackid likes this.
  15. Good to have it sorted, Brian. Will keep a note of him for when I do my 35 Willys. JW