Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Is this seller legit or is it a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lebowski, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roundvalley

roundvalley

I would bet that it is scammer using the name Gloria Webster that I reported earlier. She uses the same story.

Same Buick for sale in Prescott Ariz. using a dealer name.
    Go to Google-- ALL OF CRAIGSLIST and search for a car listed in an add. Most times you will find many other adds in different locations for the same car with different storys.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. List anything on Craigslist and the scammers come out in droves. I personally like to screw with them, but then I entertain easily.

3. I had e-mailed about a 36 sedan, on the local CL, and had the EXACT response. Definitely a scam. That Gloria Webster's husband sure did have quite an old car collection, although she's now living with her parents about an hour south of Mount Vernon, IL, now. LOL

Paul B likes this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

There are warnings on both eBay and craigslist about scams.

This is craigslist's warning: https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
    This is eBay's warning: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/eua?pid=882

There is never, ever any connection between craigslist and eBay. The scammers are good at emailing fake eBay web pages. Don't click on anything on those pages. The only way to make sure is to sign in to your own eBay account and see if the vehicle is listed there. Any real messages will also be on your own eBay account, not in your email.

I've sold and bought on eBay and craigslist for 15 years and this is an old and common scam; it still works because the car is such a deal! The hook is a great vehicle at an incredibly good price.

In the real world, no one is going to sell a car for less on the internet than they could get by selling it locally, even if they sold it wholesale. They go on the internet precisely because they do not own the car. There is no car. All the scammers do is cut and paste some photos they downloaded.

And as others have pointed out, eBay once owned a 25% stake in craigslist but sold it back in 2015. Again, there is no connection, at all, between the two.

5. Hollister Kopp

Hollister Kopp

I just replied to the ad, saying I'm interested in the car. Let the fun begin!

6. Greaser17

Greaser17

Definitely a scam! Run and don't second guess it. That's why they want all of your information up front. Then they have a scam partner call you and get the rest of your info. It's an identity theft scam. Run run run!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Sporty45

Sporty45

Actually, they don't. They only ever had a 25% stake in craigs.

8. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

If that little voice in the back of your head is telling you something is wrong listen to it. If it is giving you some other messages put on your tin foil hat.

Donuts & Peelouts likes this.
  9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Scams only work because of greed. Tell her you never buy a car without first inspecting it and running the serial number through the FBI.

10. raymay

raymay

Several years ago my two business partners and I responded to an add for a somewhat rare project car that was fairly priced and had detailed pictures and information on a car website. Obviously a deposit was required and we did everything we could think of to make sure we talked personally with the seller, got specific information about the car and when they said we could wire a deposit I had a few phone call with them to identify a specific Western Union location near them in PA and made sure I followed all the steps that would require them to have proper ID in order to accept the transfer. That weekend our truck went to the PA location with the rest of the cash where the car was suppose to be. Everything was exactly as described except the seller was a no show and obviously there was no car. The contact numbers we had for the seller and his girlfriend went unanswered and by the afternoon were now dead because we later learned they had used track phones that ran out of service the day we were suppose to pick up the car. We went back on the website and asked if anyone had any dealings with this specific seller who now had our $1000. The response was almost immediate from people on the site in different states who had also lost money some in excess of $8000 to this person and a few other aliases we learned they were using. We contacted our own NY State Police as well as the PA State Police where the car was suppose to be located. With our proof that their scams ran across multiple State lines it becomes a Federal offence and they put us in touch with a Federal investigator.
    Long story short the seller and his girlfriend were eventually located in Colorado, convicted and served time in prison. Part of their sentence required restitution to any of the victims who worked with the Federal authorities on this case. We did eventually get just some of our money back.
    Lesson learned that anyone can copy pictures from the internet and in our case setting up a plan using things like track phones, communicating detailed information about the car and agreeing to a secure transfer of a deposit (that they only got because the girlfriend used her real name). Think about it, if they could get 10 people to sent a $1000 deposit for that car, it is a pretty good haul for the 7 days they had the car listed.

In another incident a friend sold a car here locally on E-Bay. While he was waiting for the out of state buyer to arrange shipping, he got a call from that buyer who claimed the sale was a scam because he saw the same car advertised again on E-Bay and that this time it was in Texas and not New York. He assured the buyer that the car was still here in New York waiting for him to pick it up. A check on E-Bay did show an add for the same car using some of the same pictures and even some of the same wording. Again the scammer only required a simple deposit to secure a purchase.
    My friend contacted E-Bay and found they were not very helpful in dealing with this obvious scammer. The fake add did eventually come down and the original buyer was pleased to find that my friend was a legit seller.

11. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

SCAM! Same story on a 52 Willys Jeep Truck I was looking at, later found it in every state on Craiglist.

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Didn't read the whole thread. If youre still on the fence about it being a scam... I got the exact same response WORD FOR WORD about a boat ad I found here in Denver.
    I offered to pay cash. I offered to pick it up in person. They got VERY angry that I didn't want it shipped. SCAM

13. rjones35

rjones35

So is it listed on ebay motors too? If it was legit I would think it would be on there too. or she would would be willing to list it so you, or somebody, could bid and/or buy.

14. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

We say clear or clean title

15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Tell them you would prefer to pay by money order and it will be for the asking price plus $5,000. They can refund the difference when they receive the MO.

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think we all agree this is a scam......
    Back to cars

kiwijeff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.