Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hi-boys and rain in your state

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Sep 30, 2017.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I was surprised by the interest in the "front" plate thread, and it brought to mind the "fenderless" argument often heard from some car people and often people who see these high-boy cars and argue they are illegal. I of course have my 34 as most know and often have had to produce the Washington law when building it in the past and now that it is on the road, especially if I have it in mall parking lot. Oh and BTW I have replacement insurance through State Farm that has only one restriction meaning I can drive it for any purpose as long as I don't exceed 2,000 miles a year.
    I keep a copy of our states RCW in the glove box because there is a WASP that hassles hi-boy drivers around these parts.
    So I was wondering if are there any problems out in the HAMB world with issues around fenderless Hi Boys.
    This then is Section (2), RCW46.37.500. A motor vehicle that is not less than forty old or a street rod vehicle that is owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well maintained roads.

I do know this will have way less interest than the "plate" thread but I am interested since I get so damned many know-it-all remarks, even like I said from some less informed hobbyists'. 34 at 2017 Lyons Federal Way show.jpg

2. Haven't had any problems here ........................... yet. bout 15 yrs

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No problems in Houston, TX.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Nice car!

5. Like 34Larry I also carry a copy of the applicable RCW's in my fenderless roadster. No problems to date about the lack of fenders yet, though I used to get a lot of scrutiny regarding the lack of a front plate.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Been researching this myself for Iowa laws since I'm building a hiboy. Effective 10/13/2010 Iowa removed the requirements for fenders and bumpers.

Iowa Code Section 450.2(14) for fenders
    Iowa Code Section 450.2(15) for bumpers

SPark

7. dan31

dan31

In my part of Jersey they don't bother hot rodders at all ,but if your'e in a Mustang or a lifted truck it's "Game on".

56shoebox likes this.
  8. Not on the road yet. But keeping a copy of the no fender law in your car is a great idea.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. CME1

CME1

Idaho.... HOUSE BILL NO.726 , 49-949 SECTION 1: Part D
    Fenders or covers are not required on any modified American-made pre-1935 vehicle, or any identifiable vintage or replica thereof that is titled as a later assembled vehicle or replica and is used for show and pleasure use when such vehicle is used and driven only during fair weather on well-maintained hard-surfaced roads.
    Have been no real problems with the law officers.

10. John Herford

John Herford

It's a little bit like the motorcycle helmet laws in Washington. If you ride an antique restored motorcycle the RCW says you don't need to wear a helmet when riding. So, I took a nice ride on my '46 Indian Chief without a helmet, and a copy of the RCW in my pocket. After getting stopped by 2 sheriffs and 2 city cops no ticket. But then stopped by WSP. He said "I don't care what the law is, you're getting a ticket." Turns out there is another RCW that states the WSP can make the rules up as they see fit, when out on the road! It's true I read it. Anyway took it to court and won. No ticket. Just getting hassled, which is what they can do if they want.
    So you may be legal with no fenders but they can and probably will hassle you if they feel like it...just sayin.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never been hassled about the open wheels on my 32, but I did get pulled over by King County in my 55 bird. He couldn't figure out why the YOM plate number wasn't on the "plate" box on the registration, and wanted to see the VIN. No problem, I was on my way. I think he just wanted to look at the car.

12. mohead1

mohead1

Fenders....wat the hell are fenders??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

John;
    Do you have a reference to, or preferably - a verbatim copy of, the statute(s) that give the WSP "to make up rules as they see fit"?
    This could be interesting...
    TIA.
    Marcus...

hendelec likes this.
  14. Never had a problem with the old roadster or the mordor. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41 coupe likes this.
  15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I've driven my '26 Ford highboy in N.C. for 20yrs with no problems and I drive it very often.........

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

fenders.jpg

woodz, Bandit Billy and mohead1 like this.
  17. The key phrase in that is 'fair weather' and who defines it. After all, this is Washington and random rain isn't at all unknown... LOL

18. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Washatonians need boats more then hot rods

hendelec likes this.
  19. Rooster tails are fun to watch,in a roadster don't lean your head over too much into the turn when its raining hard,the spray will get ya. HRP

da34guy, wicarnut, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  20. mohead1

mohead1

21. I think I also know this WSP officer who likes to hassle others and myself for my 48 HD pan head as it is mostly stock not loud but has no frame numbers Harley Davidson never did have any frame numbers until 1970 . He well knows this but just likes to mess with any one who don't fit his kind. Did talk to a attorney after the second time his advise is to have the WSP write me up problem is it would also include having my bike impounded as in a fenderless car it could happen as well too and no reimbursement of my cost or any damage to my vehicle would have to prove the officer acted in malice or singled you out good luck with that in court.

22. *Western Washintonians that is-

23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My Deuce roadster has been to 19 states from Maine to Oklahoma and has about 55K on the odometer on it. The only state that gave me a hard time was Rhode Island. Wife an I cruising along when out of nowhere a black and white with lights and sirens pulled us over. You thought we robbed a bank. Well this John Wayne, Dirty Harry jackass flipped out when he realized we were out of state and he couldn't give us a citation for no fenders. Man was he pissed, the veins in his neck were bulging. When he left he literally through my paperwork at me and said "get out of MY state". Guess he was having a bad day.

24. IMG_0357.JPG Texas has fender laws, but police do not enforce. Most deuce roadsters are fenderless!

25. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Alaska changed it 's law about fenders about 20 years ago. no problem with no fenders here, that said I do not want to be caught in the rain. 4 rooster tails makes a real mess on a fender-les and hood-less car. take forever to clean up.

26. Down in little ol New Zealand, we have a fenderless law, where only pre 1935 cars can be fenderless.
    The owner has to have been a Hot Rod club member for over two years, and be vouched for, by two club members in good standing. The exemption, is for the owner/driver, so no one else is allowed to drive the car. I think you also must do half the advised speed, when going through road works.
    I have cycle fenders on the front of my Hudson, it rains so much here, I wouldn't go fenderless, and with no side Windows, I already eat enough road grit, turning corners. :D

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

When I was a kid in Michigan they had a fender law unless your car was under a certain weight.
    Remember having to carry a certified weight slip in my fender less 33 Chevy coupe. Don't know if that law is still on the books.
    Florida won't bother you about fenders or helmets. I see half naked idiots on crotch rockets with flip flops all the time.

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

Had a HighBoy Roadster 7 years and 20000 miles in Wisconsin, (Pic's in my album's) never a problem with Sherrif on fenders or the rain/vision from the vertical spray from tires,(in heavy rain, very annoying) But will say, you could not give me another Roadster, the rain, getting wet and the cold/evenings gets pretty old, if I would go that direction again, a cabriolet would be my choice w/heat/AC (I'm old). IMO, A HighBoy Roadster is the King of the hill in our hobby, not very practical, but our Hot Rod hobby is a passion, not about being practical, feel bad for people that don't have passion for something.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  29. I'm not sure on Kansas Law but I've had 8 high boys and have had no problems . I don't need no stink'n fenders.:D:D

Alaska Jim likes this.