Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. thanks jim. I learn a lot from the videos. it looks like mark did a good job backing me into the groove. he is getting much more comfortable on the line. the car is ready for the fallout. with the new mag and trans clutches im feeling good about laying down a good pass. we will see what happens. my only concern is the track prep. rock falls does not have the same starting line that st.Louis has. then throw street tired cars into the mix. I didn't see them doing much to the track at last years event. if it sticks I think I will be holding a seven second time slip. either way have your cameras ready because something is going to happen.

loudbang, Bugsy48, jimdillon and 7 others like this.
  2. If I was Mark I would bring you more forward on the waterbox and start the burnout more towards the edge of the wet line. Now for the first yard you were just splashing water and your tires were so wet that they barely hazed. Maybe with your power you could just drive over the water and hammer it on the fly

swade41, loudbang, els and 1 other person like this.
  3. rooman

rooman

^^^^^^ I agree. I would also have him "kick" the pre stage beam and then bring you up to his foot while positioning you on the start line (while standing relatively close to where the front wheel is going to be rather than way over on the edge of the track as some people seem to do).

Roo

swade41, kidcampbell71 and els like this.
  4. As far as the burnout goes we do things based on several things. It was a cloudy cold overcast day. There was little track temp. The ideal tire temp is 10-20 degrees above track temp. We didnt need a big burn out. The car planted the rear tires and lifted the fronts for 100 percent traction. You cant ask for more than that. Big burnout look cool but destroy sidewalls without the benefit of additional traction. We use the m+h spec tire that is required for the vintage front engine dragsters. Its a great tire. For the water box position i have tried several positions. The car is so light it shoots out of the water box if the tires get the slightest grip. And they do. So we position the car with a few feet of water in front of the rear tire so we can get some good wheel speed going. I always stop in the water again because of the way the car acts. We have tried burnouts without stopping. It doesnt like that at all. As for mark im showing him videos and coaching him on what i want him to do. He is getting better and i agree he needs to be closer to the car and stand at the line. I like him to tell me when im a foot away then move out. I watch the staging lights after that. There is also the fuel consumption issue. I have to be very careful with the burnouts and staging because i only have a five gallon tank. Anything to save fuel is done. We use a high low valve just for this reason.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wow ready to go already......you must be going nuts.

loudbang and els like this.
  6. I am. The trailer is restocked. I put a electric blanket in the trailer because its going to cool down into the 40s at night. My bag is already packed. I just need to put the slicks back on and get the nitro jugs filled. If you need a place warm to stay there is room in the trailer. Just bring something to sleep on. There is a shower in there to.

7. Licence runs are done. Video to follow. 20170930_155209.jpg

loudbang, Sinister, els and 6 others like this.
  8. Here's to hoping the block stays in one piece ! Was that a full pass ?

9. flathead_10

flathead_10
    from Kansas

Man that's a good slip from reaction time all the way down.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, els, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  10. It was a full pass kind of. The fuel pump is now going away and i dont have a spare. Its leaning out and shutting off then taking off. It did it three times on that run. When the video gets posted you might be able to hear it. The car is screwing with me and wont give me a seven second pass. I guess i know what to ask santa for this x mas. A enderle 1100 pump.

loudbang, els and saltflats like this.
  11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

NIce Pass Brian! I wish I coulda been there, but this is my daughters wedding weekend.

How did it feel at 157, any aerodynamic issues? What MPH do you figure is your limit before you need a spoiler or wing or something?

12. Budget36

Budget36

Aw...what's another 7/800 bucks? ;)

davweed34, loudbang, els and 2 others like this.
  13. Joel it felt so stable it was perfect. I wont ever put a big ugly wing on it. I guess when it starts smoking the tires in the lights its as fast as it will ever go.

Being able to bring it home and convert it back to a street car for the iron invasion makes all the hard work worth it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    mad mikey, loudbang, Sinister and 5 others like this.
  14. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet, Can't wait to see it next weekend.

els and racer-x like this.
  15. cb186

cb186

Damn, its been 20 years(maybe over, actually) since I've been to Rock Fall. Nguyen have to make to drive over there next year to see your car.

els likes this.
  16. Congrats for the full passes finally, theres still hope for the sevens since you will push it and then some.

mad mikey, loudbang, els and 2 others like this.
  17. Im not sure that will happen this year. I first have to send the pump out for servicing that takes some time. The other big factor is the weather. It can get dangerous trying to run a fast car this late in the year. We will see what happens.

18. bobw

bobw

I was there to see this very impressive run. Sevens for sure next year.

19. Thanks bob. You could have stopped by. I didnt know you were there.

We might have found the problem. I spoke to roger and gene adams today. They think the pump is fine although it should still be checked. They both think its sucking air due to the g forces pushing the fuel away from the pickup. Moon tanks dont come baffled. I found some slight kinks in the hose going to the pump. So a new hose will be made and the tank will get a sump added to it with baffles. We might just make another hit after all. Im not opposed to travelling south for better weather either. 20171001_134146.jpg

mad mikey, loudbang, els and 6 others like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, little things like that, that us normal folks would never even think about.

Stay safe out there!

21. rooman

rooman

Brian, why not come to Bowling Green for the Goodguys event the weekend after next? The NDRL are running there so Dallas should have the track prep on the money.

Roo

els, racer-x and enloe like this.
  22. nexxussian

nexxussian

loudbang, els and racer-x like this.
  23. I have thought about bg. It would depend on if my crew man can get off work. Bg would be ideal for the track
    prep and safety crew.

I think it kinked in the crash. It wasnt like that before.

mad mikey, loudbang and els like this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

We will be there:)

25. With no time to waste i headed down to bob stephans shop this morning. We are making the necessary changes to the tank. Bob is a great fabricator with all of the right tools to do the job. 20171002_105352.jpg

26. I forgot to mention bob is a nitro guy. He got the sickness a long time ago. Being a racer himself he understands the situation and the limited time we have to get this done. 20171002_132908.jpg

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Brian it was good to meet up with you again.
    I was glad to get the chance to hear you fire it up this time.
    If anyone wants to know what throttle response is you need to make it point to go see this car in action.

mad mikey, loudbang, racer-x and 3 others like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Did you say, "hey bob, nice magneto you got there" ?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

We drove up to check out the Fall Out Drags in Wisconsin. Always a treat to witness a pass. I even got to help with the leak down test! Thanks forever Brian. Here are a few shots of the beast.

20171002_215206.jpg 20170930_114123.jpg 20170930_113100.jpg 20170930_185916.jpg 20170930_162903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Cara Marie

Cara Marie

mad mikey, els, enloe and 7 others like this.