Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 32 roadster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hutch built, May 15, 2016.

1. Wow! Fantastic level of detail!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Great work some of the best I've seen.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. Hutch built

Hutch built

Instead of trying to find radiator hose that would fit and multiple trips to the parts store I figured I make some.
    ,[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I got some exhaust tubing combination bends and made some that just use some straight hose on the ends.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

laidout53, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. Slick way to solve a very common problem.:)

lothianwilly71 and Dino 64 like this.
  5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Looks great doctor....

7. Hutch built

Hutch built

Update. Haven't posted in awhile but things have been moving foward. With the help of some friends I started the engine in the rolling chassis and all went well. It sounds really good, not sure how to attach the link but if you go on YouTube search "one bad as ride" and you'll see a video my buddy's son posted. The body is now painted and I installed some components so The East Coast Hotrod Garage can begin the interior. The pictures don't show the color very well but it's a real dark satin blue.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of my favorite HAMB builds, good to see it in paint. Bob

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Ditto to the post above. Looks great! Keep on it!

10. 18n57

18n57

Awesome shop and craftsmanship!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  11. No Plan

No Plan

Incredible! ....don't know how I've missed this 'till now. ..How much did you/they raise the wheel wells?

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Hutch, I did not notice a torque arm to heel the rear end from wrapping up, is there some way you are compensating for it, or did I just miss it.
    The roadster looks great, great craftsmanship it's pure Art.
    Frank

loudbang likes this.
  13. Hutch built

Hutch built

Some pictures from today of the interior going in at The East Coast Hotrod Garage. Dean is doing an awesome job!

14. Hutch built

Hutch built

chop job, Baron, KevinS and 3 others like this.
  15. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Your car has so much of your awesome... talent put into it... i just have to say that you could build WAY better seats for it than plywood. Just me. I'm sure they will be covered with super nice covers and look good but it really seems like your car is begging for steel frames at least.
    But dont take my comment personally because i like red and white harlequin interiors in diamond pattern. :)

16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

It looks great. What is that finish on the floor and tranny tunnel ?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and 54reno like this.
  17. Hutch built

Hutch built

The tunnel is spray on bed liner as is the underside of the body and the floor is Dynamat rubber flooring with the edges bonded with black vinyl.

18. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

IT is your car, build it your way.

19. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

You obviously don't know the quality of The East Coast Hot Rod Garage. And Dean Alexander's interiors.

20. Just checking in on the build process. Looks awesome.

Dino 64 likes this.
  21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

No I don't but i would bet it's TOP quality. Just not my thing.
    My comment is just wood and foam vs steel and springs and foam.

22. Hutch built

Hutch built

The interior is now finished and turned oit great. I'll be mounting the body back on the frame soon and begin the wiring. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Wow !! You weren't kidding about the interior. Love the paint, what color is that ? Will we see it at Jalopyrama ?

24. Hutch built

Hutch built

Thanks! It's a 1948 ford blue and unfortunately it won't be done in time for Jalopyrama.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  25. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Too bad, love to see it. Do you know the name of the color and what type of paint was used.I'm In the middle of deciding for my coupe, thanks.

26. Hutch built

Hutch built

I'm told it's Ford Barcelona Blue, it's a very dark blue that looks almost black in low light.

loudbang, lothiandon1940 and Dino 64 like this.
  27. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks

28. Hutch built

Hutch built

29. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Wow! I read this thread from start to finish in one sitting. Just couldn't stop.

The level of your workmanship and attention to detail demonstrates a combination of skill and artistic vision few people have.

I did notice one thing worth mentioning. In post #121, the pics where you show the fabrication of your steering arm, there's a pair of button head screws in the tapped mounting holes of the arm. If you dig into the engineering information from Holokrome or other manufacturers of socket head screws, they all say you should never use a button head in a strength critical application. They should only be used for attaching parts such as covers and other similar parts not subject to any significant external loading.

I first ran into this over 30 years ago when we were building a machine to be used for testing some automotive components. We needed the clearance in one area that only button heads could provide unless we changed the design, and at that point the parts were already made so a design change involved quite a bit more than a pencil and eraser. Why button heads weren't suitable wasn't obvious, nor was it explained in the literature. So I called and had a conversation with one of their engineers to find out why this was true. His answer turned out to be surprisingly simple.

In any joint subject to cyclic loading, you have to preload the fasteners to a level such that the preload is greater than the externally applied load. When you do this, the fastener actually never sees any load other than its preload, and is therefore not subject to fatigue failure. This is basic fastener engineering.

A button head screw has a hex socket that's smaller than the one in a standard socket head capscrew of the same size. The smaller hex makes it impossible to tighten the screw to a torque that develops the preload necessary for use in high strength applications. But, if they broached the hex to the same dimensions as those in standard socket head caps, it would remove so much material that the area of material remaining between the head and the shank would be the most highly stressed area of the screw. IOW, by the time you develop the preload necessary for reliable high strength use, you'd be at or past the point where the head of the screw is ready to break off.

I don't know whether the button heads in your pic were just for demo purposes or if you actually used them for attaching the steering arm, but I felt like this was worth mentioning since that joint is probably the most critical attachment point on the entire car.

loudbang and Dino 64 like this.
  30. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland