Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Mild Custom shoebox coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Tony Ray, Sep 12, 2017.

1. PCJ

PCJ
    from Austin, Tx

Love the 9 inches and since you already have it makes sense. I have one sitting around too that's going in another project

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I think you scored for the price you paid! that looks to be a very clean car. if you decide to sell the spare 51 dash you have let me know.

3. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Does anyone know if a lincoln versailles 9 inch will fit in a shoebox ford? I googled it and found a few different links to the hamb and some say it will and others it wont or they just talk about a maverick or explorer rear. my buddy could use the t-10 trans the guy gave me when i bought the 51,to put in his 53 chevy and happens to have the lincoln rear sitting in his dads garage with brand new bearing and brakes. Say he will trade me even up. I know everyone will tell me to use an 8 inch or an 8.8, but thats not going to happen since i already have the 9 inch center section im planning to use.
    Also since i keep hearing about the bad parts with the disc brakes and caliper on the lincoln rear , is there a way to switch all the stock brakes to something more practical?

camer2 likes this.
  4. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

The Lincoln is a bigger car, I think the rear end is too wide.

I may be wrong, though. You'd be best measuring each.

5. esrbuilders

esrbuilders

Nice find, Awesome!

6. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

You know, I keep meaning to look at that closer, I think it's some kind of after market heater. There is a heater delete panel on the dash, for some reason, then there's that box with a wire going to a little knob assembly that's mounted at the bottom of the dash. I'll check that out today and take some pictures..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RockinRivi likes this.
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Nice car, I will follow along. Coupes are just fine unchopped.:)

Slopok likes this.
  8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Ok that box definitely an aftermarket heater like I thought.
    Here's the heater control delete panel
    [​IMG]
    Here's the front of the box
    [​IMG]
    Right side
    [​IMG]
    Left
    [​IMG]
    And control knob
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AChopped1950ford and RockinRivi like this.
  9. PCJ

PCJ
    from Austin, Tx

It's a little more work but you can get a wider 9" and narrow it down to whatever width you want and get axle shafts made

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

im thinking that might be the direction ill be heading. He also has a empty 9 inch housing, thats alittle wider. I was wondering if that would be the easier of the two since im hearing alot of negatives about the lincoln disc brakes

11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice find! If you are going to run the Chevy for a while you might hang onto that T-10.

12. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

the previous owner said he tried to get it to fit but, it stuck up to high and hit the trans tunnel. the power glide housing he mocked up in there fits but it has a wood block between the trans and the ford cross member as a spacer. thinking it might be easier to put another power glide in there and get the right mounts for that.

RockinRivi likes this.
  13. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

I'm a little late to the party as I always seem to be, but killer find, Pipes! I will be following this one. Really like that color and it looks great all buffed out and polished.
    If you end up de-chroming it as in the examples you posted, I'd snap up that rear quarter panel and trunk brightwork in a heartbeat if you'd be willing to part with it.

14. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

The power glide may require some clearancing around the bellhousing.My 50 ford with powerglide did .It also required some work on the trans tunnel.

15. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Ah, one of the cars on my bucket list. Really like the Club Coupes. My '54 is a Club Coupe waiting it's turn. Nice find, congrats. BTW, an 8" will bolt right in and will take a fair amount of power if built right.

16. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

trying to figure out whats up with my headlight bezels.. the guy i bought it from, said its completely stock , except for the 283,and he got it from the original owner. Ive poked around online and seen one or 2 other ones with the same headlight bezels as mine. The one was forsale and stated it had every option you could get. To me they look like a 1955 headlight ..anyone have any ideas?
    IMG_1411.jpg IMG_1412.jpg IMG_1413.jpg

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats a nice find!
    Looks pretty solid too.There are few spots that are usually crispy,but i guess you already know them because this isnt your first shoebox.I have never seen a heater control delete panel like that,i guess they were for cars they sold without heaters.
    Well,good luck with your build!

RockinRivi, MyCrustyVW and Pipes like this.
  18. OH,WOW.. what a great body ! ! !! (I use that on all the new girlfriends, too...ahahha)...

We all have our opinions, of course.. but when I see a chopped shoebox, I nearly break out in tears.. RUINS a beautiful design..as for more opinions....And the owners will never tell you that your head will be against the roof unless you lower the front seat, then you feel like a dang kid who stole daddy's car for a joy ride... disgusting... HATE frenched head and tail lights.. it removes the bling of a bit of chrome/stainless steel.... don't forget ... Chrome is the man's diamonds...It's hard to believe the body of your new baby is about as close to perfect as it gets....If you have any interest, you might want to peruse my web site where I've documented my baby.."The Judge"... 383 SBC Stroker, Jag IRS rear end, S-10 front clip (Makes everything a simple bolt up, and great steering/handling). A/C, power steering, power brakes, vacuum booster, 700R4 Trans, etc., etc., ....... On the site, each picture as you scroll down is a Gallery with pictures and text of the particular subject... Good luck, and I'll be following your progress, cowboy ! ! !
    Check it out............................https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/

RockinRivi and Pipes like this.
  19. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Ill be sure to check it out! I try to look at as many as i can to get ideas and see different ways of doing things. As for me, certain chops dont do it for me, but the one on my 50 was in my opinion just perfect. It looked like it was made that way from the factory, it was proportioned just right. like you said , everyone has opinions, its what makes the cars so cool to look at, with all the different styles!

RockinRivi likes this.
  20. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks! everything it pretty solid , just those few spots on the outer rockers, inners are perfect. Im happy as hell about how much im saving on sheet metal. Makes it so much easier to spend it on the fun stuff!

21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

glide engineering still may manufacture them. payment? just send in one arm and one leg!

brEad likes this.
  22. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

im planning to go with 63 thunderbird front buckets and back seat, if i can find a decent set. love the way they look in a shoebox to give it a nice custom look.

AChopped1950ford and RockinRivi like this.
  23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I like your T-Bird interior choice, might have to steal that idea some day.

Pipes likes this.
  24. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Those headlite bezels kinda look like 55 Dodge Royal Lancer bezels

Chavezk21 likes this.
  25. Nice find, and even better when the PO's respond to your appreciation and load you up with extra goodies.
    S'boxes are just so fine as a starting point for making it suit you. I built mine as a econo 60's resto like I would have done it back in the day plus all the good stuff thats available today: lowered not bagged, disc brakes, not clipped front end, T5, 80 Ford rear end with tall gears, fully built flattie, not chopped. Makes me happy every time I fire it up. Those headlight bezels look like a Dodge add on, look good though.

robracer1 likes this.
  26. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Found out the bezels were from aftermarket place, inside was marked 'ABCo' in a circle. Cool but prob going to hang them up on the wall. Planning to french the lights.

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  27. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pipes,

Your coupe is awesome! What a great find and what nice condition. Thanks for posting the link to this thread in your signature.

Thor

Pipes likes this.
  28. MyCrustyVW

MyCrustyVW

Call me crazy but that thing looks perfect as is! From the headlight bezels to the beautiful original colors inside and out. So many cars get the french this and that treatment, this is perfect right out of the (shoe)box! This thing is a great survivor as it sits.

29. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

thanks!

30. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I found a Winner! So i was messing with the coupe today, and realized that the glove box was locked. When i got the car the owner only had the one key, which is why he took off the latch in the truck . Since i didnt want to mess it up i just took the screws out of the hing e and got in it that way. well after digging in the papers and little parts and stuff from the 60s i came across a Winning Scratch off! Just i time for our Anniversary! Me an the wife are going out tonight! Just one thing, anyone know where the nearest Esso Station is?
    IMG_1602.JPG IMG_1603.JPG