Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Emery

Evil Emery

glenn buick.jpg
    The only pic of the retailer my Buick was originally purchased from. It closed in '65 and I figure this pic was taken maybe between 62-64? I imagine that at some point at least one of the mechanics in this photo have laid a wrench on her.

2. jnaki

jnaki

from Gary Reynolds, post: 12236861, member: 52251

upload_2017-9-30_4-53-12.png
    1952 presidential election
    Hello,

In 1952, I was 8 years old. Our neighbor was an avid Adlai Stevenson campaign volunteer. She gave out these posters and stickers to everyone she could get to listen. My mom had no idea who he was, as her favorite was IKE. But, out of neighborly courtesy, she listened to everything from the campaign. The neighbor got her son and myself to run around the neighborhood to pass our flyers prior to election day. Our pay? A banana split at Foster’s Old Fashion Freeze store, nearby. We ran all over the neighborhood passing out flyers.

On the night of the election, we (two boys) followed our neighbor to the election results hall to watch the whole election process and eat some free food. But, as the night wore on, they needed coffee and no one knew how to make it in a big tubular coffee maker. (or at least they were too wasted...) This was industrial size.

Our neighbor like me a lot and wanted me to follow her around. When she got asked to make the coffee, she did not know how and asked me…an 8 year old…(she had a little too much imbibing…) I remember looking at the huge shiny pot and said to my self, it is just a machine...

So, as a knowledgeable kid, I said that I knew how to make coffee in the huge shiny tube. Having watched my dad and mom make coffee…what else was there, but to add coffee, and water? (a simple process it was.) Our neighbor was so appreciative that I volunteered. She said a dinner for my brother and me at the Currie’s family restaurant was next up. Wow…that place was a fabulous family restaurant… We had eaten there many times.

Jnaki

I made the coffee as I read the instructions and got everything ready. When it was ready to drink, everyone in the hall needed something to get them a little more "awake…" Well, my coffee tasted like mud, looked like sewer water, and was so strong that it could knockout anyone. Despite the results of the election, my super strong coffee and apple pie went over well with those spaced out adults.

My reward? Our neighbor was sad that her candidate lost. But, that dinner at Currie’s was pretty fabulous. My brother and I ate like kings.

3. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Two more shots from Kermit, TX - you just gotta love a name like Bubba VanDeman.
    kmtx64-26.jpg kmtx67-40.jpg

4. MMM RED

MMM RED

Jnaki...Love your posts. Keep them coming.
    ...Jay

5. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lot's of history with the Jugger's Bantam Coupe. I sold Harold Hungerford a set of Forgetrue pistons and boxed rods for a 354 Chrysler back in '87. Good Guy !

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang, jnaki and 3 others like this.
  7. mike 51

mike 51
    from norcal

Interesting story....but that's a 1955 Buick in the photo.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think Adli took on Ike in 52 & 56.

9. Old and Slow

Old and Slow

If'n he don't come in for his dinner this minute I'm gonna cut his............off!!

knife_Lady.jpg

10. verde742

verde742

I think there a critter in my Ford

Hombre and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. [​IMG]

Cool magazine huh Beaver? I have some "special " Swedish magazines too Beav. Do you like....gladiator movies Beaver?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    LOU WELLS, dan c, DBruce and 6 others like this.
  12. Bocar Stiletto

Bocar Stiletto
    from New Jersey

evolution of a 60s special: the Shivley, built by Floyd Shivley of California. Originally with a Triumph? 4 cyl engine, later a small block Ford

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

s4.jpg

s5.jpg

s6.png

LOU WELLS, bramdax, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did she ever show you the pix of ol' Adali's hole in his shoe?? He claimed it was from walking all over campaigning for President.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. That Parkers hamburger joint later became The Carriage Room, restaurant and "burlesque " house.They actually had a 20's style comedian, Wally. Wally sadly drank himself to death after falling hopelessly in love with one of the strippers.True story. Spent a lot of time there in the 70's when I drove a night Broadway Cab.

15. Samj

Samj

loudbang likes this.
  16. keef59

keef59

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.