Register now to get rid of these ads!

Using a spool on the street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IGOR, Apr 20, 2006.

1. IGOR

IGOR

I picked up a centersection w/ spool for real cheap. Is using this on the street a bad idea? A friend is giving me quite a bit of shit for using it. Thanks for any input.

2. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

Well, when you make a turn the inner and outer wheels spin at different speeds, a traditional differential allows this. However, a spool locks the wheels,this is great for the drag strip, but if your average drive invovles any turns you will experience funny tire wear, and as you can imagine, all kinds of innapropriate stresses on your third member.

3. Offy

Offy

Just have two different size tires on the rear of the car. Make sure that the big tire is on the outside of the turn. If the big'un is on the right make all left turns. Alternate as needed. I'd get a good "quick pump" jack and use knock-offs instead of lugs on the wheels.

4. Rusty

Rusty

PM grasshopper he had one at the Roundup and I think he has been running it like that for a year. See what he thinks about it first hand

5. Nevermind.

6. the shadow

the shadow

I've driven with a spool on the street for years, but I have a beefed 9" and I run a real soft tire (helps alot), I will tell you to expect leaks from your rear axle, if you don't break first.

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

In most cases, it's a matter of WHEN WILL IT BREAK, Not IF. You can put a locker in an open diff for around $400 these days. I've even bought near new posi units for GM axles for less than $100. Why risk your safety?

8. 47bob

47bob

Sound like fun on wet pavement too.

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

A spool will load the hell out of your suspension too, if you have a 3 or 4 link it'll really punish the joints or bushings. Now if ya just kinda set 'er up a little goin' in to a turn....snap the throttle a bit then slide her around just like Sammy Swindel you'll be stylin'!

10. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

No first-hand experience yet. But I've seen a couple in operatrion at cruise-in's and I've also asked a few guys. The guys that I've heard from that "successfully" run a spool on the street say "no problems". But that can be a totally different story for other folks.

It will be dangerous on wet or sandy streets--that's going to be a given. And, I have also been told that I should hit the thottle and make the tires slide when going around a corner. But of course, that ought to be a real ticket-getter in itself-- if the chirping doesn't do it already, then hazing the tires sure will! And that kind of ticket couldn't be good-- I'm thinking "reckless driving" or "unsafe operation"...

Also, I hadn't heard from the "successful" ones as to what kind of axles they are using. But that will have a lot to do with things. There is a big difference between a stock puny factory 28-spline axle and an aftermarket NHRA-approved high-quality steel 40-spliner!

Nor have I heard from any of those guys how often they change out their axles for new ones... and it is the axles that will break before anything else in all likelihood. Those are what take the brunt of the twisting action.

All that being said, I personally do not expect posi's to hold up in my application. So... I am going to be using 35-spline aftermarket axles and spool (can't get 40-spline in my application). I plan on marking a straight line (ink/paint, anything except scribing) down my axles and then pulling them out every so often to gun-sight them for any signs of the line not being straight any more. Then, if starting to twist, a new pair goes in. That will undoubtedly get expensive, I know. But that hasn't deterred me from the spool because I really don't expect posi's to hold up for me at all.

If a posi will not be an automatic breakage problem for you, then I'd recommend you try a posi or locker first before jumping to a spool.

11. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

There are great for dirt track racing....

12. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO!!! :D

13. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

A spool is fine for the street..... just do a burnout around every corner, remembering to correct for the oversteer and let off the gas when you get her starightened out.... no prob...... :D

14. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I've had a mini spool in my A coupe for about 6 months. Tight corners in parking lots and backing up and turning are the only issues I've had. Yes, you have to pay attention accelerating in turns.

Seems it would be different in a heavier car than a light Model A. But I'm pretty sure Outlaw has run one in his '51 Chevy for years. Don't know of any problems he's experienced. (Other than the car being slow.:D )

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

when aproaching corners could you just put it in neutral and pull on the E brake to swing the rear around?

you know, Rockford style?

the one tall tire and one small sounds better than one wide to over power one skinny though..

16. enginebloch

enginebloch
    from norfolk va

'Morning Igor,
    For mine I picked up a limited slip pumpkin at pick n pull for 40 bucks and took the 2.75 gears out and put my 3.25 gears in. Wasn't too difficult. I'm gonna pull it apart sometime soon to when I paint everything and change the friction pads in it. Get in touch with me and I can show you how to do it.

17. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Never done it with a car, but had many a Farm Truck with a Welded center chunk.

Never a problem w/ breakage, but these are Hay trucks not drag cars. They routinely had several tons loaded on top of them spinning like mofo's through cow shit and occasionally hooking up on a rock.

Watch out on gravel, sandy/wet/icy pavement. The Rearend will try to push you around in a turn. But just oversteer and alls good. Tight spots do suck but nothing some arm spinning the wheel and a 30point turn won't fix.

Cops like it when you go around corner in front of them at less than 10 mph and wonder why it sounds like you are peeling out but your shitbox couldn't possible break a tire loose.

BTW I prefer Miller Locker over Lincoln Lockers!!!! Just weld the spiders into a big ball and your locked and loaded cheapo style.

18. hilborn283

hilborn283

there is nothing wrong with spools on the street.just dont use stock axles,or they will break,and put a tire where your quarter panel was.makes a mess of your car.i've run a spool in everything..even in my daily driver galaxy,right through winter.but after you break an axle,you'll invest in axles.