Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical UNISTEER FOR 32 FORD?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnold1938, Sep 28, 2017.

1. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

ok bought this unisteer for my 32 many years ago, just installed today I am running a Ibeam axle with four bar suspension. now when I rotate to the left as far as it will go it crashes into my four bar. has anybody had any luck setting these up. also the drag link tube that comes with it looks to short by about 3 inches even with lh thread tie rod end attached. maybe I should try something thats been proven tell me your thoughts. oh ye running a ford 347 stroker engine with sanderson block headers.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. lucky ink

lucky ink

Spindle steering stops?

3. Jeff J

Jeff J

did you center the rack steering putting it in the center if that makes sense !

4. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

I've heard the Unisteer isn't a good choice with a straight axle, for much of the same reason you describe (4 bar link interference). You could ditch the straight axle for a sweet M(namedeletedforHAMBfriendliness)stang II IFS....but hopefully someone with more experience than I can get you a workable solution with the straight axle. Good luck!

5. Jeff J

Jeff J

I have a straight axle on mine and have no problems Centering the rack turns is important business  card holder 001.jpg

Willy_P likes this.
  6. Love my unisteer with beam axle, but I have hairpins.
    Also, the unit was installed at the time the chassis was built.

Phil

j3harleys likes this.
  7. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Have one on my 5 Window...wont ever build another one without it....... 32 SIDE.jpg

da34guy likes this.
  8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have a unisteer on a 4 bar '32 I beam. It's on a 26 coupe though. I had to shorten the drag link they supplied.
    Disconnect the drag link. Set wheels straight ahead. Center the unisteer. Measure for drag link length. Mine took shortening. Had to take it to the machine to thread. It's not a common size.
    I don't like the large turning radius. Takes a 40 acre field to turn it around.

9. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I bought mine from Unisteer at Louisville nats this year. The unit is designed to replace the Vega box that I had installed on my stock frame and dropped ford axle. I did shorten the drag link and changed the outer end thread to 5/8-18 thread to match the rod end that I was using. The Unisteer unit came with white indexing marks on the input shaft which centers the rack and makes it very easy to aline the steering wheel. I brought the unit home from the nats on Sunday made the conversion on Monday and was driving the car on Tuesday . The coupe drives much better now. This is the best $400.00 I have spent on my coupe.

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

My '31 had that issue when I tried to mount the Unisteer bracket to the frame rail. I had to use the Vega bracket on the rail and bolt the Unisteer bracket to it effectively spacing it out just enough to clear the left hairpin at full lock.

11. Flatblack 31

Flatblack 31

I built my model A with a four link and Unisteer 10 years ago and have 25,000 miles on it. I absolutely love the way it steers and handles. I haven't had a minutes trouble with it, I would highly recommend making it work for you.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Keith Pommerening

Keith Pommerening

Have the Unisteer on my 27 Hudson. Am using a 47 Ford straight axle. The rhs spindle turn arm has two ball joint eyes. The eye closest to axle connects to drivers side spindle. The farther out eye connects to cross steering bar. I thought it looked like it migh not turn as sharp as it should also. I found that Speedway has a ball joint with an eye between the threaded portion and the ball joint. I hooked the cross steering shaft to that eye. Being that eye is closer to the axle, one might not have as much turning force or leverage as one using the farther out eye. On the other hand, this would be stronger because the turning forces do not have to go through as many parts. Don't know how it will work as car is not on the road yet. I aslo bought the Electra Steer from them at Back to the Fifties to address that issue. Car is long and heavier to start with.

13. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

THANKS FELLOW HAMBERS, back in business found that vega bracket on frame needed spacers and i installed spindle stops now everything lines up and I can comfortably turn left to right with no crashing problem!