Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Clik

Clik

I saw, somewhere, a set of self steering wheels that went under the front of a heavy vintage travel trailer to lighten the hitch load on the puller. What's that called. I searched dollies and just came up with the two wheeled things that you put a car on behind a motor home.

2. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

I've seen them too. I believe they were two-wheel weight equalizers.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chriseakin likes this.
  3. robracer1

robracer1

^^^^^^^^^ they used them in the movie The Long Long Trailer, a 1953 movie with Desi Arnaz an Lucille Ball.

chriseakin likes this.
  4. What a great shot,the Scotty? looks good,did you see any others using the vintage campers at the swap meet? HRP

5. Yes, a Scotty. There were several there this year but I was too busy with my booth to get photos. Hardly any were for sale-

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. I just might drag mine up to the swap meet next year,it sure would save on the motel bills. HRP

tetanusshot likes this.
  7. We have our reservations for the upcoming "Gathering of the Times" in Pine Mountain,Georgia next month,it looks like it's going to be a huge rally for the South. HRP

upload_2017-9-25_16-31-18.jpeg

chriseakin, HotrodVon, 55Deso and 2 others like this.
  8. Brenda just saw on FB that there have been a few cancellations so if yu were kicking yourself for not registering it's not to late, HRP

Gathering of the Times site available.

Good morning everyone. We have exhausted our waiting list and just had a cancellation. If you have a vintage trailer, camper, or motorhome built in 1979 or earlier and would like to join us please send me a Facebook private message (Pete Whitley). If the spot is taken and you would still like to attend we will start a new waiting list. I'm sure there will be several last minute cancellations in the next few weeks.

9. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

image.jpg just saved from the scrap yard.

10. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

They were big with the round track racers in the fifties and sixties and we just called them dollies.

As memory serves me, they were made under the name of Watson either out of Mansfield, Ohio or Glendale, California.

The bad thing about them was that if not properly maintained, they would take on a mind of their own and would try to steer the tow vehicle and the trailer instead of tracking correctly which could make for some interesting adventures.

chriseakin and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. pontman

pontman

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Okie Pete, chriseakin and brEad like this.
  12. pontman

pontman

13. pontman

pontman

14. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

post 1681. door on the left. did the post flip it?

as far as i can see....NO. gotta be a story (even short) about the left door.

15. Not the picture, the steering wheels still on the left in the truck. That door looks awful short, I'm thinking maybe an emergency exit?

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. The original was called a Slimp Wheel ( ), the current version us called a Trailer Toad.
    http://www.trailertoad.com/id80.html There might be another manufacturer also, I saw an add in my latest Vintage Camper Trailers magazine, but I left it at the shop. I'll check it tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rjones35 and brEad like this.
  17. BENT VALVE

BENT VALVE

Drag racer Jok Nicholson manufacters these, might be too heavy duty for a travel trailer

http://www.trailertoad.com

18. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Got this 12 foot Safari given last year, all original and quite tidy inside , timber frame at the front needed replacing

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  19. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

20. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Also found this on a farm , very rare for Devon in the UK IMG_1496.JPG IMG_1496.JPG IMG_1497.JPG IMG_1498.JPG

Okie Pete and 36 ROKIT like this.
  21. The campers (caravans) are so unique in the UK,they always seem to have a more streamline style,you never see them in the States. HRP

22. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

There were a few makers that kept the lantern molycroft style roof upto the 80s, Cheltenham`s were also cool but others from the 70s on were just boxes with no style

23. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Ahhh, good eye. The main door is on the right side like all trailers. The left door is affectionately referred too as the "boy friend door". As in, the husband comes in the front and the boyfriend goes out the back.

The left "boy friend door" is shorter than normal. So, yes it is a back door. Pretty unusually (as in I have never seen another) to have a back door on a 12 foot trailer.

I'm packing up today and heading to Trailerfest tonight!

Ford52PU likes this.
  24. thefalconer

thefalconer

[​IMG]

I ended up dragging another one home... its hard to resist when the price is reasonable.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Salt Racer

Salt Racer
    from Ft Worth

My 1950 Flxible, I found it in 83 and finally got around to fixing it up
    I found a whole new career

Attached Files:

26. Salt Racer

Salt Racer
    from Ft Worth

Pete's camper

Attached Files: