Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Any Interest in So Cal Rod Run out to Lake Elsinore Car Cruise ? - pics added

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd love to see a Reliability Run, or a Hot Rod 100 or some other event here in So Cal where we can get a bunch of cars out on the road, enjoying them at what they do best, instead of parked in a lot somewhere. But until someone organizes a run, is anyone interested in making a run out over the Ortega Hwy and dropping in on the "Last Saturday of the Month" Car Cruise they hold there? These are summertime events, and the last one of the year is coming up Sept 30.

I have not been out to these shows, and have no idea how good or bad these are. I really just like the idea of cruising the Ortega Hwy and having some place to end up, possibly seeing a decent car show. (Or maybe not, maybe the car show will suck. The best part anyway will be the drive) The hours of the show are 4 - 8 pm, so we'd have plenty of time to cruise, maybe even drive down the coast hwy, maybe from Newport or Corona Del Mar down to Dana Point before getting up onto I-5 south to San Juan Capistrano, then up and over the hills on the Ortega, maybe with a stop at Hell's Kitchen for a cold one (or Kristy's Corner if you're averse to adult beverages, makes no difference to me) before dropping down into Elsinore.

Sound like a plan? Any interest?

[​IMG]

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-9-21_17-26-3.png
    Hey B4U,

What a great idea…your proposal seems like a lot of fun. A gathering and start in Newport Beach, Fashion Island to Dana Point to Ortega Highway and Lake Elsinore. Then maybe, to make it a full So Cal event, a trip down I-15 to Escondido and the Barona Speedway Dragstrip for the Steve Gibbs’ Nitro Revival event on Saturday night, Sept 30.

The return trip would be a short blast back to the I-5 north at Oceanside and back to the OC and beyond. (Or a stop-over at the many hotels and motels along the way.)

Jnaki

Wow, you have the best So Cal coastal drive down through Laguna Beach, up the winding, but dangerous Ortega Highway to Lake Elsinore for the car show. Then it is clean out those motors on the high speed run down I-15 to Escondido and the Barona Dragstrip. For the return, a total of about 50 miles back to Dana Point via a fast I-5 freeway north. That is some trip that people have done in the past.

A one day drive of 200 miles and if done straight through, 4 hours+ But, with the stop-over in Lake Elsinore and Barona drags, it will be two relaxing spots.

Hope you get a following for this proposal. There are plenty of hot rods in this whole South Coast area that could make this proposal a fun run…
    Check out the many Hot Rod Clubs, Donut Derelicts, Cars and Coffee San Clemente, and many online spots...

Blues4U likes this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Barona Drags sound really cool!

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

6. With reports of snow all around us, Im jealous as hell!
    I hate winter!

Blues4U likes this.
  7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Escondido also has a nitro night coming up , they have a cruise downtown every Friday during summer

Blues4U likes this.
  8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bumping this back up, let's get some discussion going. Got to be some HAMBer's here in So Cal that want to get their cars out to stretch their legs. Ortega Hwy is a nice cruise.

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sounds good to me once I get my ride on the road. Let's get this planned.

Blues4U likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's cool Dave, but this run is coming up the end of this month. We'll have to organize more of them for when you get your ride on the road!

Flathead Dave likes this.
  11. LBCD

LBCD

I'm interested!

Cyclone Kevin and Blues4U like this.
  12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cool, this is a start. Hope there are more out there that would like to join us.

LBCD likes this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's a video I found on the tube from last year, it looks decent enough. Of course, if we rolled in there with a bunch of HAMB cars it would surely improve the ratio of traditional cars to Mustangamarocat's.

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bump for the Sunday crew. Come on So Cal peeps, let's get those cars out on the road.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bumping this back up to the top, trying to drum up some more interest. Hey San Diego guys, come up north and let's hook up in San Juan Capo, then run out over the Ortega Hwy to Elsinore together. The more the merrier. Let's get them cars out for a nice run!

Special Ed likes this.
  16. LBCD

LBCD

I'm good to go

Blues4U likes this.
  17. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Sounds like a great idea ! cant do sept 30th , getting our junk ready for CHRR . But a lot of my buds here in San Diego would be interested in the future.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OK, we're a couple of hours out. Anyone want to join us you are more than welcome. We're going to meetup at the Chevron gas station in Corona Del Mar, corner of Macarthur Blvd & PCH at 1:15, then head down PCH to Dana Point from there; then up onto the 5 back up to Hwy 74, and take that out to Elsinore. We'll be glad to stop along the way and meetup with anyone south of there that wants to join in. Don't worry about polishing the car, this is more about the drive than the show. Get it fired up and come on out.

jnaki, Special Ed and LBCD like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

Hey B4U,
    Corona del Mar down Coast Highway to Laguna Beach should have terrific views... upload_2017-9-30_10-51-39.png
    Laguna Beach web cam at 10:52 am
    upload_2017-9-30_10-57-42.png
    Salt Creek Beach cam at 10:57am a little hazy, but the sun is out and blue skies are clear. A great day for a drive.

But, early this morning, Dana Point was socked in with dripping, wet, fog. You could not see in front of your face... Now, the winds have moved it out in the ocean. So, the sun is peaking out and it looks clear to the Ortega Highway and Elsinore. Be careful on the 74/Ortega Highway...It is Saturday and there will be crazy drivers and lots of motorcycles.

Have fun on the drive and show. Afterwards, take the I-15 south to the Barona Speedway. Don't forget that tonight is the Nitro Revival 2017 presentation. A ton of old racecars will be in attendance.
    A Steve Gibbs Presentation... not affiliated with NHRA/CHHR

Jnaki
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    LBCD and Blues4U like this.
  20. LBCD

LBCD

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    jnaki and Blues4U like this.
  21. LBCD

LBCD

Blues4U likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah it was! I'm going thru my pictures now, got some good ones I'll post up later. Nice meeting you and your son. That was a good day. I put in about 100 miles from when we filled up at Corona Del Mar, not a bad little run!

23. LBCD

LBCD

I’m glad I went, nice meeting you and your wife too! I did 135...perfect weather [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U and jnaki like this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, it was just the 2 cars on this trip, 4 people, LBCD & his son, and me & my better half. But we had a really nice drive down the coast, the 2 cars drawing lot's of attention in a land full of exotic high end automobiles. It's been awhile since I've cruised down PCH all the way, and I was surprised by developed it's all become, very little stretches of undeveloped coastline. And lot's of traffic. The cruise out Ortega Hwy went very well, traffic was light. We made a short stop at Caspers Regional Park to use the facilities and take some photos, then back out on the hwy. A short stop at Hell's Kitchen, which was closed for remodeling (maybe they're getting new flames painted on the building?) so we went out to the overlook point instead for a cold brew before descending down into the heat of Lake Elsinore. The car show was pretty nice, though not focused on traditional cars. Both cars got their fare share of attention from folks at the show. We made our way around the show and I shot pics, but by the time we walked the show the heat was getting to us, so we ducked into an air conditioned pizza place for pizza and beer (soda & water for the kid & wife). By the time we were done quenching our thirst and filling our bellies the shadows were long enough to provide coverage over the cars, and the temp had dropped to a nice comfortable level. The moon was up and I got a shot of it shining over our cars before we headed home, this time we just jumped onto the 15 fwy and cruised with all the other fwy traffic back home. It was a really nice drive, great weather (if a little hot in Elsinore, but not bad while moving), beautiful scenery and great company.

jnaki and LBCD like this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

28. LBCD

LBCD