Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need some help blending different colored fenders into old patina....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Well that’s excellent you are in magazines! Very cool. This car was given to me. Which I’m thankful for... but being a college student/crane technician I don’t have thousands of dollars to throw around at my convenience. But power to you. I’m only trying to fix some rusted out spots and some serious damage by replacing panels. Maybe I’ll just leave it as is. But anyone that’s willing to teach some tricks regardless if they enjoy fake patina or not I’d love to learn. I am open to everyone’s interests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I'm with you. I like old looking stuff, and I'm always shit ass broke. Unlike you, I have "0" interest in anything shiny or perfect (including women), and I'm an old fart.

"Fake Patina", to me, is building a fiberglass car or replacing most of the body with new panels, then trying to make the whole car look weathered.

What you are doing is taking something that has 60 or 70 years of real life experience, replacing only a small portion of it, then trying to get it to look like it belongs there. Totally different thing.

Fake Patina: (still a cool car)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    "This 1932 Roadster was designed and built by Joe “Mr Kustom” Moreno for his 2013 Rod & Kustom display at the Grand National Roadster Show. The body is a fiberglass......."

Real Patina:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotr...ter-becomes-1940s-hot-rod-perfect-patina/amp/
    These guys did exactly what you are trying to do. Minimal repairs, matching existing Patina. I'll take THIS over ANY shiny, OCD, "paid-for with-gold-chain-middle-management retirement-money", "at-a-car show-with-loafers-button-down-shirt-expensive-watch-listening-to-the-Beach-Boys" slick "Hot-Rod". Thank yeeew. (that describe any of you, and you're offended? Awe, sorry creampuff....)

If I were you I would try getting some rustoleum (stick with something without hardeners so you have some flexibility and control) matched to your panels, adding tiny bits of red, yellow, blue, white or black to play with the tone. Let it dry, dull it here or there with steel wool/ sander, your unshaven face etc. Topcoat with a clear and a tiny bit of black then again with white mixed in (to get it dirty then chalky), dull down the sheen. Just keep layering and you'll eventually get there. I make custom props for tv commercials and movies, and everything has to be weathered and aged to look "real". It's my job. There is no exact way to do it, just keep trying stuff and you'll know when you are there.

If you really want to party, there are places that sell special paints to the scenics of the film biz that actually rust, oxidize, and other "effects from nature" can be top coated.
    https://starscenic.net/metal-effects-rust-activator.html
    You may need a "safe word" if you go that route.

Also don't listen to anyone saying you shouldn't do it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Sand the fenders bare
    Prime with red oxide
    Paint black
    Sand through prime and paint in some areas and only through paint in others

tb33anda3rd and scrap metal 48 like this.
  4. 327Eric

327Eric

Red oxide primer, cheap spray paint. Dab some soapy water over parts of the area you are to paint. Lay paint with varying thickness, wipe with a rag soaked in brakeclean when dry to cut the gloss and remove bubbles. Play around until happy

5. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

If you can't or aren't willing to help the guy because you disagree with his choice, then shut up. That's exactly what discourages newbies from commenting. If you voice your opinion once, move on. Jim, do what you want. It's a cool ride and your doing great.

6. BJR

BJR

Back in the day the only reason cars were in primer was that you were working on them. You went with the hope that some day you would have enough cash to get it painted nice and shiney. Most cars didn't make it that far, but a few did. Not all this fake weathered look. What a bunch of crap all this fake patina thing is.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The whole patina thing is stupid.
    All you end up with is a shitty looking old car that was poorly maintained and was neglected.

DA the whole thing with 80 grit, that should help to start.

Then buy some paint and do it right.

Patina my ass :rolleyes: :D

Chiss, Mr48chev, Max Gearhead and 2 others like this.
  8. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

Slim 38 I totally agree with you on this. The guy asks for help and the whole first page is filled with people ragg'n on him why he shouldn't do it. For one thing he is trying to keep the original patina but wants to match parts so the car looks original and that sounds totally reasonable to me. You just need to study what's there that you want to copy and get creative with the process. Practice on an old fender or something and see what works you may need to use some of the new process on the original car to kind of blend the two so you don't have a defined line at the replaced part. There is a real art to recreate that old look but the secret is in the old parts you have.

nunattax and slim38 like this.
  9. Duuuuuuhhhhhhh I got a car with a crappy paint job and the fenders don't match how do I keep it looking crappy after I try and repaint the fenders. Simple just don't paint the fenders it already looks crappy and the odd color fenders only add to the effect. :rolleyes:

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I've seen small repairs like this and no one could tell the difference. Never underestimate an artist.
    I still agree this car would be tits repainted. Time and cost always factors in.

11. Threads like this rile up the 'old folks home', here. Later this evening there's gonna be a lot of annoyed nurses trying to calm these guys down when they run out of rice pudding and prune juice....

You guys should try to remember yourselves at 20 years old trying to get some 70-80 year old man to understand why Led Zeppelin 1 was so awesome.......uh-huh.....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lewk, 1927Tudor, hans mercman and 7 others like this.
  12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You might practice on your discarded fenders and see if you can recreate a look that pleases you. Your non-matching fenders are legit for a car that has places to go instead of being worked on. Make sure you can improve upon what you've got before you commit to a new paint job.

That Speedwagon is my Dad's. He's told me how he does it and and I couldn't reproduce it. Blending it in so it doesn't look fake is an art.

If you just do the rockers, I think you'll find forgiveness if they don't match. This A truck was also assembled entirely from mismatching pieces. If you really look, you can see the bottoms of the doors have been spotted in. The old truck is not pretending to be anything it is not. The cosmetic "restoration" of patina is not to disguise the repair, rather it is to keep the eye from getting distracted by the new bits. With the imperfections blended together, you see the vehicle as it truly is-old, but cared for.

[​IMG]

Jim Lato and slim38 like this.
  13. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

everything in the car under the hood is brand new, brakes new, carb new, motor rebuilt, working on updating suspension components the only thing that is "poorly" maintained is the interior. i would drive this car a long ways with no worries.. i like untouched looks. but i also love redoing cars to its fullest better than factory. like i said for the second time. i am trying new things, this discussion wasn't meant to be a pissing match or so aggressive in nature. i thought this forum was about people with similar interests helping others keep cars alive no matter what their status is or how fat their check book is.... arent we all doing this for the same outcome? to enjoy our hobbies and wave to each other when we see two of us driving an old car on the road? jesus. all i was asking was for some help on this. maybe im on the wrong site. BarnFind, thank you, BJR thank you, Slim THANK YOU!!!,Studebaker thank you, 64countrysedan thank you, and clunker, you hit the nail on the head friend, i dont like fake patina at all. all im saying is with my "new old fenders" i want to blend the black into them to keep that old look, not to build a fake car. this thing is so far from fake, its freshly out of the pasture and i just put lines and skins on her and got the motor built. 287... shes back on the street! i dont want a brand new front end and a 62 year old looking rear. i am only asking how i can make this happen.
    i got 8or 9 old cars, that i have acquired over the years and they all move under their own power and are far from complete, i like that. and when i get home from work my way of winding down is a cold ass beer and turn some wrenches.

14. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

barn find, im gonna take your advice and try that with that real bad fender that i got, see if i can perfect something, that truck is pretty sweet. very good job!
    Clunker, seems i did stir the pot huh? the shit dont stink until you stir it i guess. didnt know id strike such a nerve!

clunker likes this.
  15. Latigo

Latigo

Seems to me that a fake patina is just another form of custom painting. Faux (fake) painting has been around a long time. It could look good if done well. Few are doing it well but as shown above, it can be done. A wood grain painted dash or a steel woodie is fake but quite acceptable if done well. Go for it. Looks like fun trying to match the old patina. I do, however, think putting a shine on the patina ruins the whole idea. Who knows, in a few years it may go the way of lace painting.

nunattax and DIYGUY like this.
  16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i did buff one spot on the lower corner of the door, it looks cool but i stepped back and thought about it, and did not go any further, just a good hand washing brought out what i wanted, more or less sick of the paint bleeding off when it would rain and jack my clean broken glass up haha. but i do agree latigo.

17. My 1956 Chrysler had the original paint on it and the Insurance didn't like it so I painted it.Do what makes you HAPPY with my friend.Bruce.Heres before. 006.JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    clunker likes this.
  18. Heres now. Do what ever makes you happy. You cant please every one here.Bruce. 001.JPG

19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Gosh she looks good. She’s got that old look to her like she just rolled of the dealer lot!

Bruce Fischer and Petejoe like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shiney clearcoat on a rusty car looks like shiney clearcoat on a rusty car. Not my choice. Doesn't need to be perfect but that look makes me think of all the underside problems facing the owner. I just walk on by....Bruce's Chrysler is better painted and the same problems may occur either way but I like a finished look.

21. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Yea I’ll never ever do that clear coat junk. I’ll keep throwing steel at it before I do that. Or just paint the car to its original finish. I love how mine looks as it is, now I’m torn if I should leave those new old fenders as they are? Or try to change them to black, “shittally” of course. I’m going to get the car up on some stilts I built and sand blast most of what I can of the belly and chassis saver the frame and either under coat the underneath or do chassis saver on it as well. Around the engine bay I’ll have to do it by hand did my entire nova by hand and god I’m pretty sure that contributed to the carpel tunnel

22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Spray cans, test panels, lots of rubbing sanding wiping stuff onto the areas you are painting that break all the painting rules. Basically, test, test, test and then commit.

Some folks can just see it and do it and it looks completely natural. Others create hammered ass.

It's your car, patina away!:cool:

23. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Hey thanks Nostrebor, seems like that’s the trick, break all the rules of painting until you accomplish your look.
    The title of my post I should have thought through a bit more. Sounds like I’m painting the whole car. Just only trying to blend the fenders. So everyone knows!!

24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Try an atomizer spray bottle, spray a little, then rattle can it. the water will prevent adhesion and will wipe away after the other paint dries. do it with different colors, then a worn out scotch brite pad after its all done.
    Like was said, do a piece of scrap first.
    Might work, might not.

Jim Lato likes this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You said criticism also......but guess you didn't want to hear that.
    Personally I am not a fan of the effort it takes to make a car straight and shinny but I am not a fan of putting effort in a car to make it look old either.
    I would say just leave it as is or spend the effort to make it a nice car on the outside if the inside is as nice as you say.
    If I am at a car show (which I rarely am) I don't waste my time looking at a car like yours unless it has been restored and painted shinny.
    That being said I would put the effort in fixing the bad spots as if I was going to do a complete repaint as time and money would allow and cover with a good epoxy primer in the spot that had been worked on or the whole panel.
    Then you will always be getting closer to a better end result.
    Now this my opinion your mileage my vary.;)

26. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I love patina.. Screw the naysayers..... Your ride is cool and I like what you're trying to do... Go kid go....

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I’ve seen the opposite and I go to car shows constantly. You get of course the people that love shiny stuff but from what I’ve seen is people checking out something from the dead, and for criticizing. I didn’t mean being told hey go “buy” what your lookin for all done for you already.

28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I think the coolest thing ever is getting a car out of a barn or the weeds and seeing it move under it’s own power after sitting 40+ years it’s a pretty satisfying feeling and then you build on that as you go, as for criticism. People must have a far different opinion of it than I do. I didn’t think I’d get bashed on. I thought more along the lines of try it this way or maybe this would work or no don’t do that try this. I love helping people so maybe your right I should delete criticism out of there lol but yes, scrap metal, I love it too. I have a huge appreciation for both and all things old cars...

29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you did say “…inputs or criticism is welcomed.” And man, you got an earful. :D

My own feeling is that redoing an entire car in faux patina is kinda weird, but spot treatments to match an existing finish are acceptable. Now, the existing finish on your car is pretty low on the “survivor” scale, but you’re the only one that has to be happy with it. I can definitely understand the desire to make the car look “cohesive” and drive it immediately, rather than launch into a massive repaint project.

People say, “nobody did that back in the day,” and that’s true. But back in the day, these original finishes were 10 or 20 years old and in general were still pretty decent. Back then, crappy paint stuck out like a sore thumb. Now these cars are 60 or 70+ years old and most are showing their age unless restored.

Meanwhile, an appreciation of that aged look has evolved in some, in part because of the time-span it represents. Some like it, some don’t, and again, there’s kind of a sliding scale as to what constitutes "survivor" versus "neglected."

Heck, when I did my car, I had people (not on this site) telling me to preserve the “patina”—six multi-colored layers of brush-applied paint coming off in sheets and riddled with serious rot! :eek: Absurd!

30. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

If this is what you want to do, I would lightly go over the fenders with a scotchbrite to give it some tooth for adhesion, but don't knock down any of the crusty spots. Spray some red oxide on the tops of the fenders, and then spray a satin black all over, except for the rusty areas you want to come thru, just don't apply paint in those areas. You can then use rubbing compound or fine sandpaper to wear back thru to the red oxide in places like the rest of the car. If you don't put any paint over the larger rusty areas, they should still be visible. The satin paint is important. Shiny will be too shiny and flat will be too flat.
    Then use the fenders as a shelf for the winter, set crap on them, lean your belt buckle against them, drop wrenches or screwdrivers, scratch them up, take them off and put them back on a couple of times, or just put them in the back of your truck for the winter.

Jim Lato likes this.