Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Joe Bailon passed today

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by John Lee Williamson, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rik Hoving's site says that Joe Bailon passed today, God Bless a good guy!

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

RIP Joe..... thanks for bringing us candy paint. Man, not too many of the old masters left....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mikhett, Jonnie King, Jigger and 5 others like this.
  3. Friends from Nor Cal sent me the news...RIP Candy Apple Joe..another one of the originators gone

4. Colin HD

Colin HD

Gods speed Joe, go paint those Pearly Gates a nice shade of Candy Apple Red!

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Bailon family on the passing of Joe. As others have said he colored the world in a special way. Rest in Peace.

Regards,
    Stogy

mikhett likes this.

6. Joe Bailon - Motorama Wall Of Legends.jpg
    Joseph M. Bailon
    March 18, 1923 - September 25, 2017

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    beegator, Jigger, Pufff and 11 others like this.

7. Joe-bailon-bailon-custom-shop-oakland-1950.jpg
    Joe Bailon Ad.jpg
    Bailon Customs - Hayward.jpg

8. Joe Bailon's 1941 Chevrolet "MISS ELEGANCE":

Joe Bailon's Miss Elegance in primer.jpg
    1950 (in primer)

Joe Bailon 1941 Chevy Miss Elegance @ '52 NRS (LIFE 1).jpg
    Joe Bailon 1941 Chevy Miss Elegance @ '52 NRS (LIFE 2).jpg
    Joe Bailon 1941 Chevy Miss Elegance @ '52 NRS (LIFE 3).jpg
    1952 National (Oakland) Roadster Show

Joe Bailon 1941 Chevy Miss Elegance (August 1953 Popular Mechanics).jpg
    "The Dashboard" - August 1953 issue of Popular Mechanics

Joe Bailon 1941 Chevy Miss Elegance (3-4 rear).jpg

Joe Bailon 1941 Chevy Miss Elegance (COLOR).jpg

pitman, BigO, mike bowling and 10 others like this.

9. Frank Livingston & Joe Bailon - 1957 Custom De Elegance Winners.jpg
    Frank Livingston & Joe Bailon - Custom D'Elegance Award winners at 1957 GNRS

Jigger, Pufff, cgc1958 and 6 others like this.
  10. belair

belair

Appreciate these guys and their contributions while they're among us, guys. God's peace to his family.

11. verde742

verde742

Yep GOOD GUY, met him at Portland Roadster Shop when I was a judge for the show...
    didn't always adore the design, BUT, certainly could appreciate the amount of work it took..
    R.I.P. Joe, your one of the great ones...

94 years, pretty good run,

12. RIP to the King of Candy Apple.

OG lil E and clean cut creations like this.
  13. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

The more the legends pass, the more that song becomes more iconic, "Whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes". Godspeed Mr. Balion.

14. I hate so much to hear this.... I know it's inevitable, but still hard to swallow. I never got to meet him as it goes with many other legends in the auto industry that have passed, but that does not mean they affected me any less. I respected his customizing talent and style and used that as a stepping stone to all the cars and trucks I customized over the years. God speed Mr. Bailon. Thank you for all your hard work.

OG lil E likes this.
  15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow, another legend gone. My condolences to family and friends.

OG lil E and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. God Speed Mr. Bailon,the man that made a indelible "Candy Apple Red" mark as his legacy. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. 34Larry

34Larry

Learned of Joe when seeing Miss Elegance at the Seattle car show way back in the 50's. It made me and my best friend instant "car guys" and have been ever since. Thanks for that Mr. Joe Bailon , a picture of that marvelous custom Chevy hangs in a special place in my shop/garage. God bless you.

Surfcityrocker and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, friends and fans - have not seen him in quite a while - good guy, very talented/creative - some of his creations went outside the normal custom route

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Godspeed to another legend. The dash in Miss Elegance captured me as a youth, looked like the cockpit of an airliner.

OG lil E and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Prayer go out to his family.Bruce.

21. Joe wasn't just a legend, he was a really good guy. This is a monumental loss.

Mick

OG lil E, HEMI32 and deucemac like this.
  22. williebill

williebill

Met him at a KOA show in Pigeon Forge years ago. He had his table set up next to Barris.
    We talked a bit, and he signed a poster for us. He didn't talk as much as George, but the East Tennessee summer heat probably got to him that day. A good guy, RIP

23. R.I.P. Joe.

24. Condolences to the family - R.I.P. .....

25. Condolences to his family, friends, and to all those he touched in the automotive world. He may be gone, but may his works, achievements, and influence live on. R.I.P., Joe.

50fish and Pufff like this.
  26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

27. Oh man, so sorry to hear. I'm so glad that I met and talked with Mr. Bailon on a few occasions at the car shows he was at as a guest craftsman.
    I remember back in '99 at the Red Rock Nationals in Moab, Utah I asked him for an autograph on one of his "Candy Apple Cruise" fliers. He was sitting next to Ed "Big Daddy" Roth under a picnic shelter in the park, and the pair were just having a great time! He kindly obliged and then told me he expected to see me at his event. I stammered around and tried to find the words to tell him there was no way I could attend his event and he just ate it up. I was still searching for words and "Big Daddy " said "Don't worry kid, sometimes ol' Joe leaves me hunting for words, too"! Ed then looked at Joe and the two just started laughing. Good times!
    Last story. A few years ago I was at the Leadsled Spectacular and Mr. Bailon was there. He was at his table signing autographs and such. His table was right next to Connie Stevens who was a special guest there that year. Everyone was snapping pictures and having a great time. There were a lot of people there taking pictures and for some reason Joe singled me out and waved me over to him. He asked if I would take a picture of him and Connie together, and send them to him at his home. In return, he would give me a picture of my choice with his autograph. I told him that I would do it--no picture necessary, but he insisted. Joe and Connie stood together and I snapped a few pictures of them together. He gave me the autographed picture and said, "Don't forget to send me the picture, now." I told him "You can count on me Mr. Bailon!"
    Once I got home I had the pictures made into prints and sent them off without delay. A few days later he called me himself to thank me for sending the pictures so fast. I'll never forget what he said next. "It sure is nice to know that there are still some people out there that stand by their word. Thank you, Ed". Blew me away!
    I'm so sorry to hear of Joe's passing. Definitely puts a damper on the day. My deepest condolences to his family and friends, and many, many fans.
    Thank you for all you gave us custom folks, as well as all those that love Kandy red. Vaya Con Dios, Mr. Bailon..........E

beegator, 54delray, stanlow69 and 3 others like this.