Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***September 2017 Banger Meet - A Change of Seasons***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. figure8

figure8

SBC= hood on and closed; Others=hood open or off

Andrew Mccann, waxhead and tomkelly88 like this.
  2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Everyone has their own choice
    The look on each one's face when I told them I traded the hood for the white sidewall tires! Was always priceless:)
    And there was always someone that said "I didn't know McGurk made two carb manifolds for Packards":rolleyes: My reply was always with a smile and always the same "They didn't"
    I still have a set of those hub caps only in Aluminum they will go on my 40 race car with the blown Ardun

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  3. 4 port for your viewing pleasure
    IMG_20170926_235306_668.jpg

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

For those out there that wonder what the thingy holding the distributor is:

tach drive.jpg gmctach-d.JPG

Anytime you see one at a swap meet BUY IT! They can be modified to fit a bunch of engines!!

Crazydaddyo and Dannerr like this.
  5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

6. Jim,

What did that tach drive come from, originally?

Thanks, Bill

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

STEWART WARNER

8. Was is an accessory piece, or stock on certain vehicles? Great Packard, by the way :D!

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

BILL...

S/W made them up for everything including industrial stationary engines. Sometimes they ran tachs, governors, recording devices on oil and water well pump engines ... just everything. Mine came with 6 cylinder Vertex mags on top. The incliners might be able to tell you more..... but generally industrial use. Wayne sold them for GMC and Chevys

Just another "Don't walk past it thing"

Dannerr and Crazydaddyo like this.
  10. Good info Bluto! Thanks! I've been piling these up as I unpack everything. Looks like I have a couple

11. Thanks Jim- guess I have to keep my eye out for a few :)

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The drive gears must be in good order. Clean and not sharp. Keep the grease cup full and give it a twist often AND RE-PACK IT MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU SHOULD. Mine came from Signal Hill oilfield engines. Same for the Vertex Mags. I ran a mag before I got the Petronix fitted in the Mallory. Mag looked cool but effected the mileage and performance. Petronix actually took the stumble out of the 2nd-3rd shift Idled slower and was much easier in everyday driving. That truck was my everyday driver
    My shop truck.
    Drives are not spendy just hard to find and a very nice accessory. Mine drives a S/W winged aircraft tach w/an engine hours gauge. I have a couple NOS. At $15 are a bargain

GMCoffice copy.JPG

Dannerr likes this.
  13. Jiminy

Jiminy

Jim, you sure have some beautiful rides.

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Jim .... Thank you

I've saved the best projects for my retirement and now can't see well enough to drive....... I'll sell most of it and give others a chance. No real regrets I've had a good hard run and am still alive....

Dannerr likes this.
  15. And we are many, that's thankful for you are! :)

16. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

Free flowing header

waterpipe headers.jpg

Be careful--might be a patent on this

Herb

ROCKER77 and winduptoy like this.
  17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

ONLY IF YOUR MOTOR IS FULL OF SHIT:rolleyes:

Dannerr and Herb Kephart like this.
  18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

OMG another pluming nite mare

19. 97

Apart from it being a double-banger, whats the bet it flows better than the stock BBC truck manifolds?

20. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Hey Bluto
    Thanks for all your interesting post and great pics. I've been running a Honda electronic distributor (1979-82) for 20 years now. The body needs to be turn down .060 and the gear removed and tang machined to match the Model A. They both turn the same direction. I've ran Pertonix in my bug and chevy pickup with great results. Do you have a Pertronix kit number I could use for model A distributor? Thanks again.
    Brian

Dannerr likes this.
  21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hi Brian

I got a handful of ignitor modules from them. And just take out the points and mount them in. Kit? They got a kit? I never used a kit :eek:
    Seriously call them direct and ask for technical ... the are nice helpful people.
    Kit?? Really? Next someone's gonna tell me there's made up pre-bent brake tubing or self-leveling body filler.

22. Jiminy

Jiminy

23. briphaeton

briphaeton
    from cal

Hi Bluto
    Besides the module they come with a magnetic ring. I think they have a contract with only one supplier for Model A distributors. (FS Ignition) I have several different Mallorys and points are getting harder to get. Thanks for the tip. I think the 1244A is a universal 4 cylinder setup.
    Brian

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Hi Brian

Call tech they gave me a module that works without the ring. Just the cam lobe position you fit it .060 from the lobe and bingo....

Dannerr likes this.