Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Top Five Must Do Events to Attend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thought it would be good to get some feedback from all on a list of top 5 must attend events in our hobby. Meltdown drags, TROG, Deuce Days etc. Looking for some "been there, go for sure or been there wasn't worth the drive" info on all the different things that go on every year. Included in the thought is maybe the bigger, better swap meets as well or the events that have it all going on. Of course it's all subjective and the list could be bigger or smaller. Hard enough to carve out time to get builds done so if time is gonna be spent traveling to an event always nice to know from guys in the know it's worth attending! Platform is yours...

2. my top five. drag week all five days. all meltdown events; march meet bakersfield; hamb drags mokan; hot rod reunion kentucky. a few others i attend are the iron invasion spring and fall; roadkill nights along with the woodward dream cruise; milan dragway vintage fall race; symco; world series at cordova. thats a full summer of fun. if you noticed these are participant events because i dont own a lawn chair.

3. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Hershey, Detroit Autorama,Jalopy Showdown,Hardcore Happening, Piston Power Autorama-Cleveland and Four Crown Nationals at Eldora.
    Eldora was this past weekend.Silver Crown and Jack Hewitt. WOO Friday night and USAC Migets,non wing sprints,Silver Crown and All Star Sprints on Saturday night. Open wheel heaven!!! We had a blast!!!

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Wendover Utah, Bonneville Speedweek !

tractorguy and RMR&C like this.

5. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

I was there the night Jack Hewitt swept the 4 Crown...awesome for sure!

6. Lone star roundup.

wbrw32 and j3harleys like this.
  7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Not strictly traditional cars but Btt50's event in MN for the sheer mass of cars and excellent venue. Fortunately within a hour of me so I drive back and forth 3 to 4 days of it and still don't see it all.

anothercarguy likes this.
  8. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Talked to him quick Friday.The stories are outstanding.Next to Earl,he is king there!!

tractorguy and Speedwrench like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Smaller show, but very unique, Symco at Unionville Wi. Back to the 50's Minneapolis MN. NSRA Nationals at Louisville KY. These 3 are big IMO, If you are a race fan, Chilli-Bowl, Tulsa Ok. Huge indoor Midget event, 5 days, 275 entries. And I've never been, but on my bucket list, get to Barret Jackson, Scottsdale Az. It will be interesting to see everyone's suggestions. Good Luck ! And Have Fun !

tractorguy likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yesseree, been on my bucket list for some time Marty.
    I can't believe I've yet to make it to the salt, came close some years back.
    Another one is our local Eruption Drags, maybe 2018.
    Also came close to going to the Hot Rod Hill Climb in Georgetown Colorado two years ago.
    Just because I haven't gone yet doesn't mean they're not on my must do list.
    The Portland Transmission Warehouse Spring Classic has been my local must do event.
    I always considered the Rod Run To The End Of The World on Washington states Long Beach Peninsula the big yearly event but it just got too crazy.
    Only five, darn because until NHRA's last fiasco at the CHRR I always thought it was on the top of my list considering I've attended over a dozen.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Top of my list is the NHRA Hot Rod Reunion middle of June 2018 Beech Bend Park Bowling Green, KY. Non stop nostalgia drag racing.

Gary

12. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

My list:
    1. Deuce Days Victoria
    2. Moonshine Festival Dawsonville
    3. Hot Rod Hill Climb Central City
    4. Lone Star Roundup
    5. Deuce Day Lake Havasu City

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. das858

das858

Meltdown drags, Hot rod reunion at Bowling Green, HAMB drags, kkoa leadsled spectacular in Salina Kansas, for shows I attend. The dream is Bonneville for an event I havent been to yet.

14. choptoprat

choptoprat
    from Indiana

Ducktail Run Gas City, Indiana. Usually atleast 2000 cars this year I was number 2156 and they have a huge swap meet that takes all four days to see. Road Kings Battle at the Hill near Kokomo, Indiana at Bunker Hill Dragstrip, and Relix Riot at the Gilmore Museum near Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. My top five (places I've been) not a bucket list. Henry Ford Museum of Innovation, Tri-five Nats Bowling Green, Hot Rod Power Tour, Jalopyrama, and GNRS.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Major ones I've been to.

1. HERSHEY Swap Meet 2017 is my 48th in a row

2. Pebble Beach, went in 2016 want to go back.

3. Grand National Roadster Show, Went twice, hope to be back in 2017

4. Bonneville Speed Week, Still on the Bucket List

5. ANY Large event in Texas, just want to say I've been in Texas.

Bob

17. Jalopyrama
    TROG
    Bonneville
    Hot Rod Hill Climb
    HAMB drags
    Been to the first two, hope to make the other three someday. :)

18. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I'm seeing a trend here on a lot of the answers. I was going to go to TROG this year but getting from western canada to the shore of NJ was going to be some undertaking. That's why i want to get feedback from all on all the different must do events. hearing a little on the lonestar roundup. I work with a company out of Houston so it's easy for me to get there and travel around. It looks like a good event from what i have seen on here. Hot rod hillclimb looks like a lot of fun too and being in colorado it's an easy travel as well. surprised no one has mentioned hot august nights in reno which i have been to. big event, well run, lots of different stuff going on rather than just sitting. keep the feedback coming!

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Portland Transmission is a must do for me, rain or shine ! I have only missed one Eruption Drags in the last few years, meeting and seeing Rocky in action is always worth the trip. We plan on having a race car ready for next year's event, so you need to be there.

20. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Knoxville Nationals(Sprintcars), Belleville Nationals(Midgets), Indy, Eldora 4-Crown, Chilli-Bowl, Turkey Night, Amelia Island, Pebble Beach, Speedy Bills museum, Any Open-Wheel race at Calistoga(or Williams Grove)....

wicarnut likes this.
  21. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

My list: Shades of the Past
    GNRS
    Detroit Autorama
    Columbus Goodguys
    LA Roadster Show

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having been to Bonneville for Speedweek twice I'd say that tops the list Go for the right reason and that is to see and watch the cars race and not just to pose though. Walking though the pits and seeing the cars that guys have put together to run in a certain class for a certain record and listening to them explain about their car is a treat in it's self that you won't get anywhere else.
    TROG Although racing would be the high point just going and absorbing and taking photos and being a part of the whole experience. Even getting soaked in the rain last year at Pismo didn't cut down on the enthusiasm for most of us who were there.
    Lone Star Roundup. That will be the first road trip for the 48 when it is finished going back to it's roots in Central Texas. My sister in laws and their families still live in Central Texas one niece and her hubby in Austin, A sister in law in Waco and one in Blanco out past Ryan's abode.
    If the truck turns out the way I hope it does put it in the GNRS, Sacramento and Portland shows and then put it on the road to Roundup. At least that is the plan. Get the indoor show thing out of my system and hit the road.

Actually if plans work out I intend to hit the road a lot and for lengthy trips. I might show up anywhere that there is a good event going on and something interesting in the area to take photos of.

23. oldsman41

oldsman41

bonneville is great. ducktail run is great because of james dean the same weekend just down the road. i thought hot august nights in reno sparks and carson city was great. like crusin the coast and trog.

24. Road Rockets Rumble at Indy. The Newport Hill Climb in Newport, Indiana. Road Relix Riot at The Gilmore. Indianapolis Motorama at the State Fair Grounds. Detroit Autorama.

25. caseyajones

caseyajones

For the Pacific Northwest area the annual Billetproof Hot Rod Eruption Drags in Toutle, WA is my only current "Must Do" event. The Meltdown Drags are on my short list.

26. Road Rocket Rumble is kaput. Sadly.