Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hershey Swap Meet Atire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Sep 24, 2017.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

A guy can be wearing a tiara and a pink speedo for all I care.
    As long as he has cash and gives it to me I don't care.
    I tag most all the parts except for a few really expensive bits.
    Those I leave unmarked so I can ask 50% more when a gold chainer asks.;)

2. .....................................Sorry I missed you. Yeah, I was purely a spectator this time around. This was last year at the Moose Lodge. Hope to catch up with you in the near future. IMG_0287-vi.jpg

3. Whatever I wear, I generally skip the underwear part.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. ........................................TMI, man TMI!!!:eek::)

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Thanks for the warning

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Levis, hoodie or Singlefinger jacket if it's chilly, good walking shoes. T-Shirt depends on my mood I guess, usually something plain with a pocket. I went to a meet once with an old favorite T-shirt from Jim Head Racing, says GIVE ME jim HEAD TIL I'M DEAD. I stopped at my regular coffee joint for a to go and an old-fashioned donut and the girl (who was usually nice) really gave me the cold shoulder. Didn't understand until I noticed my reflection in the glass as I left. Wouldn't have figured her for such a prude, and this was way before all this PC bullshit these days. A sense of humor is always the best thing to wear along with a friendly attitude.

7. All underwear is good for is car accidents!

8. 5window

5window

I walk about thirteen miles the first day. Good support has always been important to me. Mom always told me to wear clean underwear and comfortable socks. Occasionally, she was right.

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have been wearing Carhart "Bib" overalls for years and don't knock them if you haven't tried them. They are as comfortable as can be and I always have a pen and pencil and ruler when I need them. Also, no "plumbers crack". Yeah, I have been called "Farmer Grey" but who cares! Hershey attire, rain gear. This will be our 49th HERSHEY!!!!

10. Flop

Flop

He'd have to have the cash in his speedo so then there is that to think about .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. On those hot and muggy days, I suppose you can get by with underwear sprayed with Pam or Slick 50....

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hopefully not Ben Gay!

13. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My Mom always told me "wear clean under ware , you never know when you might get in an accident" ?

14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Buying, I dress according to the weather. Sunglasses,wide straw hat or sweatshirt. I just dress neatly. Its not a fashion show. My attitude is the sellers will be looking at my cart and see what I am buying. I try and cover things up in my cart.If I see someone with a arm full of signs and he is trying to talk me down on a sign I have for sale.Guess what??
    I as a buyer listen to what people are saying to each other or watch what they go to right away.At the same time if the guy is wearing clothes like he is a lawyer and not a car guy,that influences me too. I dress as plain as possible and Iam more concerned about being comfortable.

15. southerncad

southerncad

Along the same lines of attire at a swap meet, I don't drive my new Lexus when I go to look at/buy a car, rather my old beater.....might just save me some $'s

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Probably just a creditcard.......

17. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

OMG not salve..........that makes it worse......cornstarch to absorb the moisture, you might end up withe pancake batter down there but at least you won't be galled......lol.

chryslerfan55 and slowmotion like this.
  18. Never sure what I will wear. Depends on the weather. One thing I will have on is one of my many Honest Charlie's Hats and I have a few.:rolleyes:

19. Never sure what I will wear! Depends on the weather.:confused: One thing for sure will be my Honest Charlie's Hat. And I have quite a few.:cool:

20. oldolds

oldolds

As I said before If a guy wears a shirt with a logo that gives me as a seller a clue what he is looking for I will point out what I have that may interest him. At a big meet it is helpful to both the buyer and seller. My price doesn't change by the clothes you wear. More often then not my customer is glad I pointed the item out to him. Even if it isn't what he needed.
    So trying to hide what you drive might cost you that part you are looking for.
    The guys that are looking for Hupmobile, Chalmers and other oddball cars have figured that out. They hang signs on their backs and write on their shirts with magic marker.

21. 5window

5window

I love the signs! Where else would you go and see a grown man wear a sandwich board? I wonder how many times it works?

22. Working for tips (!) I learned early on to pay attention to people's shoes. Men that like to throw money about almost always wore very nice shoes. The Maestro (RIP) would refer to them as Gucci loafered Gold Chainers.
    Now- I'm not saying that Farmer John in the bibs didn't possibly have the cash in his pocket from selling a few thousand ton of hay, but he wasn't likely to be showing off or extravagant with his funds.

Swap meets? Hell of I know. I was a real live Vendor at exactly 1 swap meet. Spent my entire weekend and didn't sell a single goddam thing. What do I know about dressing special for swap meets? I can spot the guy that'll go for the Veuve Cliquot le Grand Dame and the obligatory 20% on top but swap meets? No, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

The37Kid likes this.
  23. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

I always have my kid with me at Pomona. I don't care what a seller is wearing, but as soon as the language gets too adult, I'm moving on to someone elses space.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dan31 likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Excellent point, reminds me to pack some old Hot Wheels for handouts to future builders. Bob

chryslerfan55 and InstantT like this.
  25. ............................................You can say that again!:D...............Oh, I see you did!:eek:;)

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

Working in an extremely hot environment, oldtimers taught us youngin's the cornstarch trick early on. Only takes one time to get galled, then you'll try it. Works. :eek::D

27. And I'll raise you Atomic Balm!

28. slowmotion

slowmotion

Icy-Hot for the win!

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

My buddy had a bucket of od htwheels that got no attention...... until a kid asks how much. We tell him a nickel a piece, so the kid hands us three bucks and start picking out cars and lining them up. This caught the attention of some old guys who started ffering big bucks for these od hotwheels.
    They were in a bidding war and the language got out of hand for present company. We gave the kid the whole bucket for his 3 bucks and told the old guys to take a hike.
    I sometimes wonder if that kid is still into cars. He'd be about 18 by now.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. I figure if you’re going to walk around the Hershey swap meet you need to look for two things, A. Auto parts and B. Mr.Goodbar

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.