Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects CHEN's '31 Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CHEN, Jul 11, 2014.

1. liv4ths

liv4ths

Cool bike, cool car! I gotta agree with the others on this one, the cars stance is killer!

2. I'm loving this, all the good stuff.

3. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

Looking good!!! Love the scoot! (also)

4. CHEN

CHEN

If you guys look at that last picture of the body on the frame, I have about 2 inches where the body is channeled deeper than the frame. I'm considering cutting into the frame again to drop it another 2 inches so that the body is flush with the frame at the bottom. Do you think its worth the effort of doing that? It's probably just a matter of taste and how neurotic you are, but it bothers me a little. I'm just worried that if I start cutting, all my angles are going to change and i'll be in a nightmare situation :(

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I like the way it sits now, and would leave it how it is. However, it is your car, and if it bugs you enough.............

biggeorge and keywestjack like this.
  6. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

What he said. IMO

7. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

8. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Naw, leave it the way it is. I like how it has the appearance of being heavely channeled. Of course, just my preference. Something I could see too is that maybe it would look like one looooong swoop up starting from the bottom of the doors because of the sweep in the frame? Love it!

9. CHEN

CHEN

This build is going way slower than I hoped, but progress is being made slowly. Biggest setback is definitely the size of this thing (compared with building bikes). Need to find at least 3 buddies every time I want to take the body off the frame. If anyone has any tips for doing this on my own, I'm all ears haha

Anyway, here are some updates:

I got a bunch of the little random holes for turn signals and other things filled in.

[​IMG]

I also flipped the firewall and filled in all the holes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also built a subframe for the floor and welded that to the body. The channel is about 6 inches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got a panhard in place for the rear end
    [​IMG]

I also gave up on the split wishbones and decided to go with hairpins. Just way easier to setup and adjust angles for the front axle, and I'm kinda diggin the chrome up front.

[​IMG]

Thats all for now. Now that I have the floor structure in place on the body, I'm planning to taking the motor out and starting the rebuild on the Hemi.

More updates soon!

brEad, Jeff34, Rich B. and 1 other person like this.
  10. 66corvair

66corvair

Wow, you make everything seem so easy! Here I am with a bunch of rusty parts struggling to even find a rear end and you just casually knock it out the park. Hats off to you man, suscribed and good luck! This is looking great!

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  11. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

I built a lilfting frame out of heavy wall conduit and scrap metal. works great for about $40 in metal.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    CHEN likes this.
  12. CHEN

CHEN

I had ordered some front shock mount / headlight mounts from So-cal but I guess they were made for 32 frames, and the front of my frame was a bit too narrow to work, so I had to bend them up. Not sure if I didn't get them hot enough before bending, but I have some cracks at the bend. If I weld those up and grind'em down will I be OK? The cracks aren't very big, and there is only like 1 or 2.
    [​IMG]

Ladder bars from Pete and Jakes tacked into place
    [​IMG]

Is this an X-member, K-member? I dunno, but its some sort of member and I think it's making the frame plenty stiff.
    [​IMG]

Nothing special going on at the motor mount; just the kit from Hot Heads
    [​IMG]

I had some 2x4 left over from the frame kick-up, so I made these out of it for the rear lower shock mount
    [​IMG]

Gonna work on getting those rear shocks in tonight.

brEad, jamesgs4 and tomkelly88 like this.
  13. CHEN

CHEN

Not the sexiest brackets ever, but I think they'll do
    [​IMG]

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Nice build Chen. Funny how time flies on a build and u are never as far along as u would like! I'm about halfway through my 30 build. Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  15. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job. subscribed

16. Well built, thus far. I very much enjoy both the quality of build and the quality of photos. Keep us posted! :cool:

17. CHEN

CHEN

Here we go. Time to tear into this motor!

[​IMG]

Only one piston was stuck. Water & rust got to the valves in that one cylinder pretty good too. But, I got it all out, and based on the bearings and bore; I think this is a virgin motor. Don't think anyone else has been in here since it left the factory in '52.

Took all the valves out, chased all the threads for intake and exhaust manifolds out. Super dirty, super smelly, and super heavy; but super happy, everything looks pretty good. No bent valves or anything crazy. This motor didn't get beat to hell before it was put away and never used again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna take my time with this one. Got it all apart in a day; loaded it into the truck, and now it's off to get a hot bath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will have updates when the block is back from the machine shop and we're ready to come back together and make this all pretty.

18. CHEN

CHEN

Well, it's been about a year, but I finally got my block back from the machine shop haha. They did a great job, and I'm ready to start slapping this fucker together. Didn't even realize it's been a year until I revisited this thread. Jeez, feels good to be back on this project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to sleeve the valve guides instead of replacing them. Came out great.
    Block and heads have been decked. Block is ready to receive 10:1 pistons. Using stock rods, and replaced all wrist pin bushings. Crank was ground and rebalanced. All new stainless valves, 3 angles cut in seats.

I'll be glyptal painting the inside of the block and the heads; and painting the outside of the motor black. Once the paint dries, It's full throttle on this motor until its done. More updates soon.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Jet96, Jeff34, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  19. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Great car, great photos

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What type of cam are you going to use?

21. This is going to be a great car when it's finished. I would love to see more of that 47 EL.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. CHEN

CHEN

Cases are all painted up, and I'm ready to start blueprinting and assembling this thing. Just did black tractor/implement paint on the outside and glyptal painted the inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, I'm gonna start going after the heads. Probably spend the day on the rimac getting all the spring pressure right.

[​IMG]

23. Joe Poletto

Joe Poletto
    from Brazil

Awesome build! Subscribed!

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

mikie likes it...
    course mikie likes channeled cars...
    rear wheels higher than the wheel wells ... priceless...
    east coast cool !

biggeorge, duncan and brainfreeze like this.
  25. CHEN

CHEN

This shit happens in a split second on TV, and maybe it actually does in some shops; but this shit took me all day. Got the crankshaft in, but not before I tapped the holes for the flywheel. No more trying to finagle a nut behind that flange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Wow ... Nice Work ! will be one sweet car :)

27. CHEN

CHEN

Pistons are ready to go.

[​IMG]

28. CHEN

CHEN

Pistons and cam shaft are in. Still have to degree the cam, but we're making progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. CHEN

CHEN

Decided to glyptal paint the spark plug tubes as well.

[​IMG]

Got oil filter adapter on. Needed to grind down just a tiny bit to clear some of the casting on the block.

[​IMG]

Windage tray and oil pump are in and adjusted for height.
    [​IMG]

Timing cover and oil pan are ready to go in tomorrow. Then it's on to the heads!
    [​IMG]

brEad, chryslerfan55 and Dedsoto like this.
  30. Hombre

Hombre