Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rarity of a 1955 2 door wagon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Jul 22, 2014.

1. wish my 55 pontiac 2dr. wgn. was rare!:rolleyes:

2. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

The '60 Brookwood is Looking Good. A life long friend in Georgia owns a '58 Chevy Yeoman 2-dr Wagon. People usually do a double take when they walk past and realize the door count. Really turns heads when the Big Block fires up.
    summersshow, Enjoy your '55 2-dr Wagon. It is a Good Find.................. Jeff

3. I have two 1955 2dr wagons. One chevy and one Ford. I get a lot of the slack jawed yokel lookie loos who walk up and state how much you want fer the nomad? I don't even try to educate them that its a 150 handyman. I just state that I had a guy lay sixty five $100 bills on the hood trying to buy it. Can you beat that? Now the Ford could be bought for $2500 and there isn't any interest. Both cars are out front of my shop and the chev gets 99% of the attention. Now get this I paid $150 at a estate auction about 10 years ago for the chev body & frame. No engine no front cap ect. Paid $130 for a 55 four door the same day and junked it to fix the wagon. later paid $100 for a rusty 55 4dr station wagon just to get the back window. Any road to date Ive got much less than $1000 in my 55 two door chevy wagon. I feel That I got it cheep enough to be able to keep it. Ive figured out why im a hoarder. When you sell stuff you quickly spend the money and then you don't have the stuff or the money. Don't sell your 55 you will regret it if you do.

33sporttruck likes this.
  4. Scooter2

Scooter2

I get offers on mine everywhere I go 55 2.png

Attached Files:

Bowtie Coupe, Five.0Forty and belair like this.
  5. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^^^
    and so you should!
    Nice wagon.

belair likes this.
  6. LOL I had a '55 Ranch wagon for a while when I was in high school and even back then people thought it was a Ford Nomad. o_O

One year (maybe all 3 years) of tri five chebby, the 2 door wagon was called a Handy Man, they were real popular with house painters as I have been told. I don't know how rarfe the '55 was, I have seen a couple, I have seen more '56s than '55s and I am not sure that they made one in '57 at all at least I don't recall ever seeing a '57. Anyway if I had to go by experience I would have to say that the '55s were more rare than the '56s.

@low budget wagons were popular bang up derby fodder. There was a time when demolition derby was popular at county fairs and the like in your part of the country, perhaps that explains the scarcity of wagons in general in your part of the country.

7. Dead thread but a nice wagon. HRP

8. Damn it. Why drag up an old thread?

9. Reason enough for a first time poster and he has a 55 Chevy wagon. :D,HRP

10. I would have used it as an excuse to introduce myself. :rolleyes: and started a new thread.

11. long island vic

long island vic

I have a rare 55 210 wagon for the east coast,,,the roof isn't rotting off...its going to be my last build..first at 15 was a 55.. this one gets a hemi or 409

12. What no 235????? o_O Well that aint traditional. :p :rolleyes: :D

If you go W motor, round up the parts and are willing to take a chance on the beaner I would be honored to build you a high winding desroked 09. I promise it will be a real panty dropper. :D

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey beaner the fellow that pushes my dragster has a 57 handyman 2dr wagon so if you paid any attention at the H.A.M.B. Drags you have seen one lmao. I also have one of those 55 ford nomads lol

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I know where a '60 wagon is sitting... I wanna say it's a two door but I can't remember for sure.. guy said he would pull it out for us, it's about a mile back in a salvage yard

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

When I was a kid I do not remember 2 dr. wagons of the mid '50's Chevy or Ford , being that rare, in fact there were quite a few in the area I lived. I had a couple myself. These days it is a different matter. I rarely see a 2 dr. wagon of any make , unless I am at a car show. Times have changed, not always for the better.

16. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Good point but then I never would have seen this thread and I like this thread.

blowby likes this.
  17. They still to this day have those car killing demo derbys. A 1969 chevy wagon was considered a good derby car. and a 61 thru 64 ford galaxie was also very popular. I would turn the rear end upside down on those fords. that gave me three reverse gears. I could shift to second and run them down at speed and really knock the crap outa them. Added a couple leafs to the rear springs and used a 411 pumpkin with the spider gears welded up.

Tim likes this.
  18. What the hell! Even its an old thread, I'll bite on it because I LOVE '55-'57 CHEVY TWO DOOR WAGONS! I only sold my '57 Nomad because I figured I could get a nice two door wagon for about the same money to replace it. I owned my Nomad for 20 years but when I moved to Arizona I was short on garage space and it needed a full restoration, so rather that have it set outside I sold it. It took me awhile but I found my '56 Handyman and love it. I've been slowly upgrading it with all new glass and seals, a new rear bumper and guards, a Rain Gear wiper system, a Vintage Air A/C system, and I just finished repainting the dash, adding Bel Air dash trim and bezels. I am planning a complete drivetrain upgrade, new front and rear springs and a '72 Nova 10 bolt rear end this winter. One thing you everyone should know is that two door wagons aren't that hard to find, especially projects, but get ready to pour a lot of money into buying a lot of parts that don't come cheap from Danchuk and Classic Chevy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's my old '57 Nomad that I sold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. I have not been to bang up derby in a coons age. Last one I went to was in Mississippi in the '80s. They still do one or two a year around here if you know where to look. Caprice Classics seem to fair well any more. I think it has become difficult to find Demolition fodder. I sure would not want to do one in a Civic. :D

I had my head wrapped around one of everything or was trying at the races this year. I think that tuning was easier. LOL

I loved my Ranch Wagon, mostly every girls' dad did not. LOL

JohnnyCASHcadillac likes this.
  20. sunbeam

sunbeam

Put a sign on it 4 sale $61,500 no more bugging.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  21. 2manyseats

2manyseats
    from London, UK

Here's mine - a touch of 'faux-stock'. Living in London, built in TX IMG_0360.jpg

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to believe you are right. When no one wanted them they supplied noses and other parts for two door hardtops and posts that guys were putting back together. I'd think a number of them bit the dust in Central Texas in the 60's and 70's when their frames got used under dirt track cars.
    I know one thing, unless I was actually trying to sell it I'd get that car moved and out of sight unless the friend's tire store has a damned secure fenced in area that it is sitting in where it is blocked in. The next guy who tows a trailer 3-1/2 hours to get it may not show up during business hours or in the daylight.

belair likes this.
  23. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

That might be the nicest '55 Chevy I've ever laid eyes on.

2manyseats likes this.
  24. Our old Ranch Wagon, HRP

upload_2017-9-22_12-8-20.jpeg

25. I bought a running red and white 56 ford 4 dr wagon for thirty dollars. It had factory air. When you opened the glove box it was about a inch deep because of the evaporator packed behind it. Its wasn't one of those under dash add on's. I junked the car. the front cap went on my56 htp. I saved the dash and all the air cond stuff. pulled all the 4 dr specific stainless and sold it for scrap. sold most of the body for scrap. I still have one front door and the upper rear tail gate and glass.

26. A few years ago I sold a 59 ford wagon and a 65 Plymouth wagon to some demo derby guys. Got $400 each for stripped bodys. never needed a wagon. I carried a quilt and put it on the hood.

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything Chevrolet or Ford for that matter in 55 thru 57 is not rare. There were just too many made of anything. You can argue the point and win if you've got a single seat 57 handyman with factory fuel injection 3speed overdrive and factory air but not a Belaire hardtop or convertable.
    There has got to be documentation of low issue for rare at least for me and that doesn't mean every do-dad the dealer had at the parts counter either and still won't be rare.
    For a Ford it's a 56 Crown Victoria Skyliner (glass top) with just 604 assembled; if it was ordered with factory air, power brakes, (not the fender mount assist) no power steering, 3-speed manual (no overdrive) electric seats, no electric windows you probably be down to one of one. Is it rare? not to me because 750,000 56 Fords were built. It's as you see it.... I am rare because there is only one? Nope too many humans.....

belair likes this.
  28. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Scooter....what is the name of that shade of orange? I dig it!

29. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All 55s, 56s, and 57s are Chevys, all 32s, 33s, and 34, are Fords, unless noted as otherwise. At least in my world.[/QUOTE]
    Ha Ha so true,. :)

30. Scooter2

Scooter2

It's actually viper red. It looks orange in some pics though.