Register now to get rid of these ads!

'55 chev truck v8 question

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by John Herford, Sep 20, 2017.

1. John Herford

John Herford

I'm new here and so don't know if this has been discussed. Tell me if it has please!
    I have scored a STOCK V8 radiator support, and associated parts. I want to put it on my 6 cyl. truck which has had a 350 for the last 32 years. Now for the hard part (for me anyway.) The radiator support for a stock V8 truck sits back on the frame nearer the fan because the engine is shorter than a 6 cyl. truck. So the frame pieces that the radiator support bolts to need to be relocated to the rear.
    I don't have a stock V8 truck to reference where these mounts should be. This needs to be pretty exact, I think. The factory assembly instruction manual does not address this difference. I guess the frames just came one way or the other. It looks to me like the rivets for the front cross member are interfering with the location of the mounts. I can measure the holes in the inner fenders to get the difference, or measure the holes in the top valance which covers the space between the radiator support and the hood latch cross piece that sits on top of the grill. Just not sure if that's going to be right. Anybody know? Thanks in advance, John

2. driverquality

driverquality

I'm working on putting together a 57 3200, but certainly not an expert. I have never seen a radiator support specific to engine size so am wondering what the difference is. I would think the trucks are all the same, with fan shroud being the difference between the 2, unlike the cars that mounted the radiator in front or behind the support depending on engine. I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this.
    -driverquality

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. John Herford

John Herford

Thanks for writing, driver quality.
    Its not actually the radiator support that is different. It's the mounts to which it bolts. The mounts are riveted to the frame; forward for the 6 and about 5" back from the 6 position, for the V8. This was done to move the radiator closer to the fan. I attached a couple pics. The pieces I'm referring to are the slotted attachments on the top of the frame horns.

Attached Files:

4. driverquality

driverquality

I would think the support would need to be mounted in the same position on the frame regardless of engine since it is the front mounting point of the fenders as well as the hood latch and grill. Maybe post the question on the main board so more people see it? I have read squirrel has a lot of experience with these trucks and am sure many others do too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.