Register now to get rid of these ads!

The JADE IDOL returns to Gene Winfield.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Pete, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for clarification with the info @Gotgas

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete

We changed the spark plugs while the transport truck was waiting, I'm happy and honored to say I cut my hand on the exhaust shield, I may have even left a spot of blood on the exhaust manifold.

czuch, Baumi, biggeorge and 7 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Jade Idol feels better now you're Blood Brothers...:D

czuch, biggeorge, 31chevymike and 2 others like this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Going, Going, WRONG! The blue plates were produced from 1969 to 1981.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Teapot Holleys... Not one of their better ideas. The 'dome' on top is the float bowl.

czuch, biggeorge and Stogy like this.
  6. So, it's headed to Mr. Winfield's shop out here in Mojave? With Gene's annual show coming up in October, odds are it will be out for everyone to see before it goes in for refresh. At least I hope that's how things will go. Neat-o-mosquito!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I may be mistaken, but I thought Gene shot the paint that it is currently on it.

ironrodder likes this.
  8. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Its one thing to see history like this at shows or in photos. Must have sent shivers up and down your spine to actually see it run and drive. I got that feeling just seeing someone behind the wheel.....

brad2v likes this.
  9. deucemac

deucemac

Looks like I'll be hanging around Gene's place, with my camera, to get some before , during , and after shots. IF, I stay out of Gene's way and be like a fly on the wall!

Stogy likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the 14th - get there if you can

11. His shop is less pretty much around the corner. I'll be there.

Baron, Stogy, deucemac and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

be sure to take pics & post here

Baron, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I don't know what you are saying is wrong? The vast majority of 1969 cars in California had black plates...I suppose at some point maybe late in the year they switched to blue and yellow. The plates the Idol is wearing are from the time period I stated. I simply added that for trivia reasons so the picture and the variation of the Idol could be dated. Here is a something I found on the net in 2 minutes. It backs me up. I was using my personal experiece to date the plate....as far as my future trivia additions.....Going...Going....Gone!

Now back to the Idol....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Stogy, The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Spoke to him about an adapter a couple months ago. Real nice guy and he knows his stuff!!

Baron and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Pete

Pete

I think your correct but I don't know enough about the car to validate that.

16. coupemerc

coupemerc

I've talked to Gene many times about this car. I just love this car. Gene did not do the current paint.

17. catdad49

catdad49

It's like one of my old mags came to life! What a thrill, too not only See it, but experience it In Motion. The icing on the cake will be The Fade. Thanks Pete

UNSHINED 2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

supposedly, John D' Agostino and Gene did some trading ? I don't know the entire story, but it involved the Royal Tahitian that John build and there was a trade involving the Idol.

Does anybody have knowledge on this?

19. I found this: (I added the bold)

"n 1983, D’Agostino commissioned Bill Reasoner to build his new project, a 1953 Mercury Two-Door hardtop coupe, which was an already very stylish car in stock form.

Eventually known as the “Royal Tahitian”, this custom was frenched, lowered, shaved. The front sheet metal of a 1950s Pontiac was seamlessly grafted to the Mercury body and matching side trim was added. On the rear, 1950s Packard tail lights were modified and fit to the Mercury quarter panels. The car was fitted with an eye-catching candy red paint job. Rear fender skirts were added, along with spotlights, a custom chrome plated grille insert and front bumper, while the original faux hood scoop was dechromed. Following completion, the car was displayed on the California show circuit in 1986, capturing "Best of Show" at the popular West Coast Customs show at Paso Robles. After it was displayed at the 1987 Sacramento Autorama, D’Agostino traded the “Royal Tahitian” for the Jade Idol of celebrated customizer Gene Winfield. Power for the custom was supplied by a 350 Chevrolet V8 engine coupled to a GM automatic transmission."

20. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

glad it was sold. keeping this car hidden for 30 years from all but a few close friends is really a shame. all custom car fans would love to see any historic custom. i hope the new owner shows it for all to enjoy.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks Sancho, I have read that same information. Not that I am doubting it, but was anybody around at this time that can confirm this? I suspect that Winfield was not the owner of Idol when JD traded for it.

I am fortunate to be the current owner of Royal Tahitian, hence my curiosity and quest of confirmation

kiwijeff, stanlow69, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  22. Did Gene Winfield build a second version of that car or am I wrong?
    I remember a documentary about the man from some years ago that showed him cruising in what looked like the Jade Idol.

Stogy likes this.
  23. 'Mo

'Mo

Winfield's "Jade Idol II" '57 Ford. (NOT sectioned.)

[​IMG]

24. Cool, thank you for the pic!

25. I don't read that statement as saying Gene owned the car at the time of the trade just that it was the "Gene Winfield Jade Idol" like the "Hirohata Mercury". Bob obviously doesn't still own the car but it's the name that will be forever linked to it regardless of ownership.

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

good point K13. Does anybody know who owned the Jade Idol at the time of the trade with John D' Agostino in 1987?

27. Stogy and Sancho like this.
  28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

great research and history. thank you!

not trying to hijack the thread, but this is what the Royal Tahitian looks like today. And that makes me want to take it for a spin!

Attached Files:

lewk, Baron, biggeorge and 13 others like this.
  29. @Rikster is the man to thank but happy I could point you in his direction.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy and Sancho like this.