Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on Non Baffled Valve Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Oct 27, 2010.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey all;

Went through this thread, good info here. Stuff I had to learn ~ 20 yrs ago, putting PCV on engines that never had 'em. One thing I didn't see on this thread, is that PCVs are sized as to engine cid. Anyways, a good starting point for your pcv is for an engine that is close to your mills' size. I did a lot of experimenting w/a ford flattie, & found a parts guy that had a clue & gave me some info on these, after I told him what I was up to... :) . I also found out that air in - air out location does make a difference. While the early gm ohv style cleans out the valley area nicely, rocker boxes & other locations not getting much air travel - not so much. I favor either air in one rocker box - out the other, or better it seems, air in both rocker boxes - out through valley cover. Also seal any openings like the dipstick tube, etc. Flatheads & inlines allow you to get creative with the in - out areas.

For the turbo/supercharged guys, Stude has/had a real nice layout for their supercharged engines [circa '64] - which works very nicely.
    FWIW.

Marcus...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. I needed this thread! As someone else stated, about a quart per 100 or so miles. I was beginning to think my rings didn't seal and was whining about having to pull the engine again. Rubber baffles about to be installed this weekend. Thank you all.

3. yup, rubber baffled grommets did the trick. whew!

Blues4U likes this.
  4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must be "to" traditional....I run a road draft tube , and sealed valve covers. LOL