Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Old Car Retirement Community

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteppinOut, Mar 25, 2010.

1. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

About 20 years ago I saw an ad for a new retirement community that catered to car guys/gals. It offered condo style homes and a community garage for working on old cars. I think it was in North Carolina. Does anyone know if this place exists or was ever actually built. Or are there any other places like it.
    Given all the problems with neighbors who hate cars and the fact that none of us are getting younger, I wonder if this would be a nice alternative to trying to live out in the middle of no where to avoid the zoning police.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  2. Lemme see if I can find the info. Yes it was in NC, western foothills, I think near Lenoir.

Stay tuned......

3. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

4. I THINK THERE'S ONE in Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia. More rods per capita there than in any other town/ city/place in the world. Including Danville.

5. Actually my neighbors don't seem to have a problem. Of course I keep my lawn mowed and my place doesn't look like a junk yard.

I did have a problem with the Code Nazis when I first moved in. I told him to Chit or get off the pot. He didn't understand so I explained that I was ready to go to court if he was. End of story.

6. BDSR found the link before I could. Good job! I knew it had a bird and "hill" in its name, but it just wasn't coming to me!

7. Shoot, I'd like to relocate to something like that in a few years, looks like a cool place to roost in my golden years.

Bob

8. I remember going to Castlemaine in about 1968 to check out a 1929 Nash coupe for something like $100 or less. I allready had a Nash twin ignition 6 cyl sedan that i got for free. Any how the coupe was outside of a big shed and in the shed the guy had about 50 vintage cars in good condition, maybe more, parked on two floor levels. Can,t remember who he was but he was way ahead of his time as far as collectors/hoarders go. I think he lived in Melbourne and the shed was his weekend place. Also i think that area had more old derelict cars and barn finds than anywhere else at the time.

9. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

I checked this out several years ago. Its a nice area,houses are/were a little higher then I expected, but I would like to see some current info on it.

The stuff on the link is 3 - 5 years old. I believe the cars are not really "HAMB" style, more along the lines of restored stock. There was a guy on another board that checked it out & did move there but haven't seen anything from him in a while.

Might be worth checking out again.

10. I checked out Hawkhill several years ago. Some restrictions and covenants as expected with a high end development. Leaned to the restorer side of the hobby. WAY beyond my budget.

I did my own looking and found a beautiful log house with a shop and 11 acres, surrounded by "car guys", in East TN, for less than the house alone would have cost at Hawkhill. They're out there. Pretty mountains and low taxes.

Retired and starting the move this weekend. Figure one for the household stuff and five for the cars and shop!! Lord give me strength.

Bruce Fischer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

hotrodA, post some pics of the new place once you get settled in. I have also recently retired. My current neighbors are great, they don't mind my shop activities at all. Of course I do my best to be "neighbor friendly". However, if any move I am painfully aware that a new one could be a real headache.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Bill, is that you?

Lee

13. 36tbird

36tbird

Sorry, old, old, old thread. But, wondering if there are any updates out there. At that stage of my life looking for the next step.

mgtstumpy, Hombre and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the number of PNW guys who go to Arizona every winter there has to be a community or two there that has a high hot rod population.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Lake Havasu, AZ is he place to go. Car guy heaven for sure!

LBCD likes this.
  16. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Check out the Prescott AZ area.

17. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've often thought of what the ultimate car guy house would be. For me if I were single it would be a loft over a six bay garage with a nice deck off the back overlooking some great scenery. Wrench all day downstairs then retire to some cold brews on the deck later on. Sounds like paradise.

18. I remember seeing something along these lines and believe it was on car crazy hosted by Barry Meguiar. HRP

Bruce Fischer and driverquality like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

There is a subdivision down here in Florida where they advertise for the car and motorcycle people.
    They have big garages and nice homes. Don't know the prices, but I think between 2 and 300 thousand. Too much for me. My neighborhood has over 1 acre lots and nobody bitches about my shop because 4 or 5 of my neighbors have hot rods and drag cars.
    They always stop by to see what I am building or to get some welding done. Good people will watch your place when you are out of town and take care of your animals for you.
    3 of my neighbors have keys to my house. Same for me. We have neighborhood cookouts every now and then.
    The lot next to me is empty and for sale. 1.06 acres. 6 miles from the gulf on high ground .

rust runner and Bruce Fischer like this.
  20. GeeRam

GeeRam

Amen to that.

Can only dream of such a place here in the UK (which gradually turning into a very car-unfriendly place to live)

21. HotRodA I heard you on that.That's why I live on a mountain top here in Sevierville. No one bothers me while working or painting on my old cars except maybe the neighbors cows. LOL. Bruce.

22. {BRUCE }, why don't you hire a few cute nurses, and we will all retire at your place.;)

23. topher5150

topher5150

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Does your wife get to live with you at these places or just visit? :)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  26. Ron, HUMMMMMMM Good idea!LOL.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I know there is a place near Ocala, Florida called the Villages and they have a good deal of old cars guys living there.
    I have seen many photo's from their car shows posted on this site.

Jimbo

28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Can't help with that, but when I first read the subject CHRR and the March Meet came to mind for geriatrics.......

29. partssaloon

partssaloon

Shhh! We have the streets filled with them on a regular basis. Most have 5-21 car garages. Come on out to the Havasu Deuces show in March and we give garage tours before the show day. www.havasudeuces.com

30. I"m with "Southcross2631 on this. Same situation here. Neighbors on both ends of road have hot rods, we all get together and everyone has keys to each others house, just in case.