Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which camp do you fall in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacingRoger, Sep 18, 2017.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Definitely 2! Had to drop down to only 3 cars during boot camp. Had them strategically scattered while in the service

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Budget36

Budget36

You be in "Hoarder Mode", and not a danged thing wrong with that!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Lil story, me and my dad filled up his one acre parcel-yet still kept pasture for the horses, with stuff of all kinds...we'd take a trailer frame from someone, just because we wanted to the D-rings off it, for cheap..my dad did this since the late '50's...nothing ever went to scrap, most everything was eventually used.

His friends would always try to joke him down...calling us Sanford and Son-Ironic, we liked Chevy PU's;), but guess who'd come a knocking when they needed something, or needed some welding done, lathe work, etc?....yeah, them same fellows.

If you have the room, and you better half is fine with it, and the county isn't on your ass, live on!

4. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mostly a 2, but some 3. I don't sell stuff very often.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. Mostly 2. Used to be closer to 3, but recently got rid of a couple projects. Could have sold a coup;le completed ones, but never worked out a deal to make it happen.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Scenario number one. I've had mine for 30 years, no turning back now.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. dwollam

dwollam

For sure a 3! Sold 3 recently so I think that gets me down to like 37 or so!
    Do have a few of them for sale which is kinda new for me, but hey, it's time. I am better at buying than selling!

Dave

8. v8deuce

v8deuce

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. 3 it's a curse and a blessing.

10. wicarnut

wicarnut

Since I came back to car hobby have always had 2 or more, (currently 5, 2 HAMB, 3 OT Hobby cars) that way if a problem comes up I don't have to hurry to fix it to drive it. (For Me, Driving the cars is the whole program) I have had thought about just having one knock your socks off ride, but made the decision in the begining to have a few different types of cars, Sadly, most that I know that have best of show type cars, with one exception don't drive them much and don't enjoy cruises and worry over every Nick and Scratch, these guys do not enjoy the "Fun" part of the hobby IMO. One of my observations at first big event (Back to "50's) many moons ago, Told myself, have Fun, Enjoy, Because I'm not going to be a "Big Dog" in his deal, the competition is fierce, Lot's of guys with Lot's and Lot's of $$$. I am happy and proud of my life, family and achievements, just enjoying the Hobby and Life.

czuch likes this.
  11. LOL I had a '64 Chrysler 300 and a '53 F-100 at my place in the city, plus a '23 Dodge coupe in a storage shed and a '65 Galaxie and a '65 C-10 that were both drivers. If you parked the cars two by two they were almost as big as the house. :D

The local HOA actually turned me into the city for of all things the Chrysler. The city dropped me a nasty gram for having a disabled vehicle so on Sunday morning @ 5:00AM I fired the Chrysler up and headed over to the HOA officers block (they all lived within 3 doors of each other) and lit it up. You couldn't not see across the street by the time I headed home. The police showed up at my place and I handed them coffee (and a donut). We all sat on the trunk of the Chrysler while I explained, one of them wrote me a warning and told me next time just call and they would send someone out.

The city accepted the fact that it was indeed not a disabled vehicle. :D

Yamagrant likes this.
  12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'm probably a 3, I haven't bought any cars in a few years. But looked at a couple in the last few months. Actually I've thought about getting rid of a few, but haven't done well with that thought.

13. RacingRoger

RacingRoger

I love happy endings!

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. badvolvo

badvolvo

I'm a 2-3. I did sell the badvolvo (volvoid) after 35 years. I still have 3 running, 1 being built, 1 waiting it's turn. It is kinda cool, the guy that bought the volvo, is driving the shit out of it. Love to see it getting used after spending so much time parked.

15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

If I combine them all into the projects they represent... 2 and 7/8ths!

Individual vehicles, 5... well, 4 and 7/8ths. One of them is a 54 Chevy truck that has been bob-tailed and used as a "tractor" on a golf course. I need to blow it apart and store the good stuff away, but it's just so darned novel.

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

I gather you have been a racer or are one by your handle, Hot Rodding is cheap compared to racing, anything with that "R" word equates to big $$$, quickly outdated and very poor/no resale, chassis can be junked, motors in pieces, tire/motor bills will put a tear in anyone's eye. Been There, Done That. One of her relatives made comment to her about the cost of these old cars, her reply, it's nothing compared to writing a check to the big brown truck guy for 3/5 K (1991, RR were180/200 LR 160/190) per for tires that can last as little as 25/30 laps. We have less involved in Hot Rods than a 2/3 year racing budget. It's cheap fun, comes home in one piece, only money spent to play is gas, burgers, motel AND can resell car, get most if not all of your money back and one time maybe make a buck or two.( Has not happened yet, BUT maybe) Another point, a lot of us Hot Rodders are senior citizens, all that we have did not happen overnight, AND kids are done with school, married, etc, have homes paid for, life is good, only drawback is we are Seniors, So be patient work hard, your turn is coming. IMO most of the guys on here don't fall into millionaire class, you, I and anybody else can have the same FUN, be it a 5k car or a 50/100 K car, the Hobby/Passion is the equalizer.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  17. JunkYardGuy

JunkYardGuy

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Two in the garage and twenty or so in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

20. 41 C28

41 C28

21. triman62

triman62

I am a 3+, got all the cars and trucks I've ever wanted (keep adding to the list though) up to 12 now, mostly projects, love to take one and bring it back to life. If I had more money I'd have a lot more. I keep a list for just such an occasion.

22. 2, not quite a 3. Always had two or more Model A’s since the sixties. Much of the time since 1965, I have had an additional fifties or sixties car. My avitar car, a 1951 Ford with 392 hemi, has been around for twenty years and is due for another partial rebuild: suspension, body and paint.

23. atch

atch

I bought Clarence in February of 1973. I guess you could say I never sell.

24. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I'm a 3, for sure. I never buy anything anymore unless I really like it. Then I can't sell it because I like it so much.
    Another factor is my Dads experiences. When I was a kid, I heard him and his buddy's lamenting all of the cars they sold, and all the regrets of the ones that got away. Like the 35 Ford Phaeton my dad sold for $15 in 1957, and the 3 Auburn speedsters he passed up at a car lot on Lake street: asking $300 each. When I was 10 he bought a really nice deuce sans motor, bought a 47 pickup to donate its flatty, dropped into the '32. I loved that car. Then he sold it for $1500.
    But I'm a slow learner. Before I reached the age of 21, I sold a pair of 67 Cougar 390 GT's for $450 each, and a 67 GTO convert for $1800. Later I regretted selling them.
    Then I started hanging onto stuff. 20-30 years ago, I figured it was just a matter of time until all the good raw material was snatched up. So I collected them much faster than I could ever get them done. But I live in the country, and I built a 50 x 80 pole barn for them, and I built racks to put them up on so they are stacked 2 high.

czuch likes this.
  25. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I am offering copies, at a very reasonable price, of a bumper sticker I have had since the early 70s:

"He who dies with the most toys - WINS!"

26. RmK57

RmK57

#2, but I would be a #3 if I lived in a rural area.

1959Nomad likes this.
  27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. 2.
    But fantasize about being a 3...live out in a rural area, plop old cars all over the lot. People would drive by, get curious and ask if any are for sale? I would respond saying "no, I'm gonna fix'em up someday". But really, I'm never going to touch them. Hee,hee,he....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    1959Nomad, clunker and flux capacitor like this.
  29. rhtfo

rhtfo

With OT 75 Ford F100 being restored by my son and me. A new vehicle for the wife.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app