Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Aug 12, 2017.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred

Something you might not have thought of. Very popular in '60s T buckets. Light, fairly comfortable, fairly cheap.
    I still see them in antique and second hand stores for a few bucks. Any color would look good in the "Black Dalia" with no other upholstery. Sure to be outstanding wherever you stop. Just cut off the legs at the height and angle that is right and weld something between the legs and bolt them down. Seven pages on eBay from these prices to thousands.

Give it some thought. Think it is what I would do.

Gary

IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1040.jpg

WC145, Chavezk21, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Rebel. That's far enough out of the box to peak my interest. They kind of remind me high school detention. I spent some long hours in those chairs.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Then Fred you know how comfortable they are. Or not after you have been paddled.

raven likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I went to a Catholic high school. It was the knuckles, man. My soft, tender knuckles. I still have nightmares.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  5. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Or you could take a page from the RR book and cut the legs off a metal folding lawn chair with a hacksaw and bolt them to the floor as crudely as possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I do like bench seat my self,just more room for every thing,but angle of both bottom an back are really what makes it work,as matched up to pedals an steering=all must be played with at one time to get it right for your body fit. When I see Bomber seat used,all I think of is how bad they felt in every rod I've tryed to ride in,that had them,adding that to only place they ever looked right to me was a race car. I did do a tech here on HAMB of how to do your own upholstery at home,a few years back. May help or not.?
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-sew-at-home-upholsrety-hot-rod.604077/

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    WC145 and loudbang like this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. More food for thought.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ummm....... no.

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Go Go Dancer

You have a point but I stand by my post about '50s fiberglass seats. Mounted correctly, safely and not crudely they would be a standout. If seatbelt's were installed you would stay in them. Maybe a foam cushion and they would be comfortable.

Fred honestly if I were building what you are I would use them. All colors are out there and any would stand out and look bitchin against all the black.

Nuff said Rebel

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

another one that's not common, a design from the Citroen 2CV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    basic, light, and designed for rough field driving.
    They probably don't support well, and you may not want them removable
    [​IMG]

WC145, Atwater Mike, Dannerr and 6 others like this.
  11. 1/8th scale big T kit.
    I might finish this thing this year, it's only been eight years in the making. IMG_20170827_171946.jpg

Paul and loudbang like this.
  12. flatoz

flatoz

Sorry Don't have a photo of the interior by itself, but you can see it in the video linked below. it was done in the 60's and has stood up well. This is my olds mans car, he's here on the HAMB

06-P06-07.jpg

kiwijeff and tfeverfred like this.
  13. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

My seating right now consists of the wood top for the rear body inner bracing, the floor and an upward angled front section to position your thighs.
    To divide the seating I added a wooden "arm rest" that actually sits too low to be used but gives you something to grab as you lever yourself up and out.
    The original plan called for a padded full black diamond vinyl cover from one side to the other...but when I went to buy the material from the only supplier in town the entire bolt was on the missing list!
    With no time left I just folded the old glass bucket covers and screwed them to the wood.
    The black carpet like stuff you see is very much like the trunk side material in new cars and is plastic backed so its stiff.
    Bought 20 pieces at the local Dollar store and they worked excellent for the worry free interior I wanted.
    I'm actually shocked at how comfortable this sparce interior is!!!
    I think its a result of your body weight being supported pretty much over your entire torso, as you kinda lay in the car as opposed to sitting up on your butt...and its great to be sitting so low. You feel like part of the car, not just along for the ride. Last pic shows just how low we are in the body.
    This winter the lower section gets reconfigured to get me even lower (for a low top thats going on) and the 'glass bucket covers will likely be replaced as they won't be long enough.
    BTW...the passenger side bottom hinges up for battery access.

2015-06-30 23.19.52.jpg
    2015-07-04 17.54.36.jpg

13501830_10153515192282391_6637517405717618934_n.jpg

WC145, patmanta, tfeverfred and 3 others like this.
  15. Koz

Koz

Used to be a guy that always went to Fall Wildwood that had a '29 roadster shortened behind the passenger compartment and trunk lid to fit a T chassis. Super neat car that used some '50's era chrome tube kitchen chairs with the legs cut off and metalflake seat pads. Very cool car. Haven't seen him in a while now.

loudbang likes this.
  16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Not to mention grocery carts made into seats. They didn't seem to look too comfortable to me though.

17. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

parents or grandparents must be flathead fans

WC145, blackjack, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I did some searching on the Corbeau bench seat. The video shows a seat with mounting holes for a Bronco, but the regular seat is universal mount with 4 tabs on the bottom. I'm showing this because it shows the "suspension" for the seat and it looks like it could be adapted to a DIY seat. The construction is really rather simple.

loudbang likes this.
  19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've been getting some body width dimensions from a rep at CCR. Looking at the pic, the cross bar for their seat is 37". However, as the outer frame is round, I may gain another 2" on each side. Keeping in mind that the body widens, as it tapers up. The 42" Corbeau seat is 41" at the top of the seat structure, coming off a 36" base that is 6" tall. My math says either the 40" or 42" Corbeau seat should fit. The 40" seat has a 5" base. I also have an idea on how to make the seat removable. As always, if the seat frame needs to be tweaked a little. The BF hammer will clean things up.;)

CCR measurement at cross bar:
    Inside Dimension szd.jpg

Scroll down the page index for the 42" seat measurements:
    https://corbeau.com/bench-seats/42-baja-bench.html

Disclaimer: As always, this is an idea. Nothing is set in stone and ideas may or may not change.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Nice seat it will look great.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is an opening drivers side door an option on the body Fred ?
    If so I would really recommend getting it done. Climbing in will get old (so will you ;)) :D

wbrw32 likes this.
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's an option on the passenger side and right now, I'm not considering it. One reason is the cost. While the door and substructure they add for it is VERY well done, it's a $600 bump to the price of the body, which is $1,650. I'm long legged and this build is a little lower than my first T Bucket, so stepping into to it shouldn't be a problem. But as I get closer to ordering my body, it is on my mind. I'll cross that bridge, when I get to it. Here's another look at it. VERY tempting!

[​IMG]

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looks good :cool:
    Since I'm an old fart I'd get opening doors on both sides. I'd appreciate them just as much as any of the ladies appreciate it on the passenger side :D

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Trust me, Blue. When I look at that door assembly, I'm also looking at my wallet, the list of other parts I still need and my knees!:D I get a good work out at my job, but what will I be like in 10 years? All things are being considered.

When I visited my friend, who has the same body with doors, I was very impressed. Time will tell. Now, since you opened up that can of worms, I'll have to read all the posts declaring that the door should be a must.:) Thanks, ole buddy.:rolleyes:

dana barlow likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No problem, what are friends for Fred. ;)
    I know where you are coming from with the budget issue.
    I'm just trying to help you out with a good decision.
    I'd hate to have you build your car and then need a 3 step kitchen ladder to get into it :D
    It would be a bummer to wish that you had put doors in it later on down the line.
    Isn't this fun ? :D

Does your friend have doors on both sides?
    As I said that would be a must for me.

If so, how does he like it?

Glad I can help, I have a good can opener :D

tfeverfred and dana barlow like this.
  26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey Fred

It's always nice to dream, and I most confess, Im no bucket fan.

But I like track roadsters, and I've been having wet dreams about a channeled '32, with a very appealing interior, that might get you creative juices flowing.
    And yes I know a '32 is bigger then a bucket, but it gets a lot smaller when channeled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know the dash might not be of interest, but it's a little special, but also show how little room there is under dash.

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Roland_Larsson's_1932_Ford

WC145 and Dannerr like this.
  27. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

$600 for a door is dirt cheap IMO...Ladies like 'em too.....drivers side door in a '23-'25 style tub is pretty much useless as the steering column is usually in the way...

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's why they make quick realease steering wheel hubs.
    They're not just for racing you know.

tfeverfred likes this.
  29. upspirate

upspirate

I had a 26-27 t that the old guy who built it put a pass door in......I would do that. Made it much easier for me to basically walk in and sit down . ( and I was
    28 yrs younger then) Do it now, much cheaper than later....just stay on the clock a few more hours or sell something!!!:D

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus