Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 tick has me stumped

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 47streamliner, Jul 19, 2017.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Had a friend call me to check a 327 for a lifter noise after a cam change and found no oil to the top. Turned out the cam grabbed one of the cam bearings and turned it enough to cut off the oil.
    Tore it down and replaced the cam and cam bearings and no more noise.

els likes this.
  2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I like this style of stethoscope made by Lisle
    [​IMG]
    You can pull the black part of and listen with the tube or put a piece of brake line on it to bend to get access to other areas to listen for air sounds and exhaust leaks.

els and rodncustomdreams like this.
  3. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

End result was when the previous owner of the engine rebuilt the top end they used cheap eBay parts . Source of the tick was one bad lifter and a poorly done valve lash adjustment .

Thanks for the help guys !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

els, upspirate, slowmotion and 4 others like this.
  4. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks for posting the results, something that all to often is not done.

els, upspirate and Oilguy like this.
  5. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Exactly.

els likes this.
  6. swazzie

swazzie

Try the garden hose stethoscope trick for locating your noise.

els likes this.
  7. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I'm with beaner on the bad exhaust gasket, warped or cracked exhaust manifold, or crappy header sealing surfaces. I had the same issue that sounded like a loud lifter tick and it was an exhaust leak at the head. doubled up the header gaskets and it was went away.

PS- I tried the stethoscope trick. It ticked no matter where I put the probe. Doesn't really help with a sound that's coming from technically outside of the engine.

els likes this.
  8. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Here is one that is not likely but possible. Had the same kind of noise in a SBC years ago and after all the normal choices/possibilities found it to be a badly worn valve stem, with the new/replacement cam it would hit the guide every time the valve opened. Thought for sure bad lifter; wrong! Moral of the story was simple; no matter how long you have been doing this you haven't seen it all. Rather humbling to say the least.

els likes this.
  9. llonning

llonning

A buddy of mine, years ago had the same thing. A tick we couldn't find. He even was doing some bracket racing with it. He would get up about 7000 rpm and it would puff a bit of blue smoke. He just ran it that way until he stuffed in a BBC. Finally tore down the SBC and found a cracked piston. I don't remember how it was cracked it has been so long ago. Not saying it is, but a possibility none the less.

Len

els likes this.
  10. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

In case you missed it.

els and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was of the 'exhaust leak camp' also. My very own meticulous running 350 in my F100 was making a 'clicking' right after replacing the seal in my Toyota P/S box.
    I listened closely, placing the tip of my 'trademark' handlebar moustache frightfully close to the hot ramhorn exhaust.
    AHA! #7 exhaust flange, Ah, Hell! Just hung those on there in '97! Doesn't anything last any more?
    My F100 hates that Chevy in there...think it wants that Hemi.
    What is a boy to do???

els likes this.
  12. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy

My tick on a 350 turned out to be a slightly loose spark plug! I discovered it after pulling valve covers and adjusting valves.

els likes this.