Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My original 1932 five window at car show today

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Sep 17, 2017.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my friend Jon has two amazing high end cars, a 37 Packard and a 58 Cadillac....he has two great sayings; "if you need your ride validated by a trophy, you built it for the wrong reason" and "keep your trophy, I'm just here for the beer & women"
    2015-07-03 03.45.48.jpg 2016-06-30 01.09.32.jpg

2. Very well put,the Hamb members response mean more to me than any awards. HRP

fnjunk and Hombre like this.
  3. I almost never enter a car, but not for trophy reasons. I just sometimes go to look then quickly leave because the trophy scene bores me. Actually, cars shows have become pretty boring if there isn't a swap meet to go with it.

4. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

nope drove it all the way

pprather and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

no I don't think so , but its my last car show , kids today don't give one whit about our old cars its just a fact of life !
    OH, don't worry I am not whining and I didn't say anything to anyone at the show , after it was judged I just fired it up and drove it home and from now on I won't waste my time at those kind of shows ! Hot Rod Hill Climb now that's another story !

6. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

7. Love your deuce.....if ya really want a trophy stop by my place and I will dig one out and give ya.

8. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Naw it wasn't about the trophy , I was disappointed in my self for sitting in the hot sun waste of time for me and the car , kids today want the new stuff , fact of life , wrong kind of show for this car !

9. ........But then we would have to listen to some guy with a 2017 Corvette whine about how he paid $83,000 for his car and didn't get a trophy:eek::rolleyes:

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not your average barn find Racer...please do share some better pics for the membership here that can appreciate what you have resurrected. One's without the trailer...;)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I concur.

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never even won a 50/50 draw...:(...but I do get to drive the ole Hotrod home and that's a win every time... ;)

Hombre and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

You gotta go to the right show. Take it to HRR in Bowling Green. Take it to GG in BG. I very seldom win even a door prize,But i got to drive there listening to My music. I win!!!

Gman0046 likes this.
  14. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I go to the shows to just enjoy & visit. My 46 Coupe only wins maybe a second or third place award if there are no more than three in that category. That is just the way it is.
    I have my fun sitting at the card table next to my car talking to the many show visitors that find my coupe high on their show favorites. I recently printed out this page to stick on the inside of coupe's windshield just to let those that do not understand what my car really is. Jimmie

WHO AM I?

I AM A 1946 CHEVROLET STYLEMASTER SPORT COUPE.

MY ENGINE IS A 1957 CHEVROLET INLINE 6 CYLINDER 235 WITH GOODIES SUCH AS A
    HIGH LIFT CAM, DUAL INTAKE WITH TWO 2 BARREL WEBER CARBS, HEADERS & DUAL EXHAUST, AND BORED 0.060. ALSO SOME ENGINE CHROME AND POLISHED ALUMINUM.
    HEI DISTRIBUTOR, 12 VOLT SYSTEM AND ALTERNATOR.

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL 3 ON THE TREE TRANSMISSION AND ORIGINAL REAR END BUT WITH
    RATIO CHANGED FROM 4:11 TO A 3:55 TO BE A BETTER HIGHWAY DRIVER.

I HAVE REBUILT ORIGINAL TYPE BRAKES AND FRONT END.

MY PREVIOUS OWNER INSTALLED INTERIOR AND PAINTED ME IN 1990. I RECENTLY HAD MY PAINT TOUCHED UP IN 2017. MY PAINT COLOR IS SILVER AQUA. I HAVE THE ORIGINAL STOCK STEEL BODY AND FLOOR PANS.

ON OCCASION I TOW A TEARDROP TRAILER THAT HOPEFULLY WILL SOON BE REPAINTED TO MATCH MY COLOR.

ALONG WITH A NEW WIRING HARNESS A VINTAGE AIR UNIT WAS ADDED IN 2017 SO NOW I AM BOTH A CHILLER AND A THRILLER.

MY TIRES ARE COKER CLASSIC BIAS STYLED RADIALS WITH WIDE WHITEWALLS IN 600 R16 FRONT AND 700 R16 REAR. THE LARGER REAR TIRES AND 3:55 GEARS AND ALL THE ABOVE MAKE ME A DREAM TO DRIVE DOWN THE HIGHWAY AS I JUST PURR ALONG AT 65 MPH.

I AM A DAILY DRIVER, NOT SOME TRAILER QUEEN. IF I AM HERE I WAS DRIVEN HERE AND WILL BE DRIVEN HOME. I AM PROUD OF MY BUG SPLAT AND PAINT CHIPS AS THAT IS THE BEST TROPHIES THAT I CAN EVER GET.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK MY SERVANT THAT TAKES CARE OF AND DRIVES ME TO ALL THESE NEAT PLACES.

v8deuce, figure8 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You drove your car to that crap? Guess what? The drive was probably better than the show and you missed it. Trust me, NOTHING can make folks day, like seeing an cool, old car, floating down the street among the steel coffin lemmings. Sometimes, I'd roll my T Bucket through downtown Houston, during rush hour. Ya can't beat the look on a "suits" face, as he gives you the thumbs up. Folks like it because it reminds them of FREEDOM and they wish they could taste it.

Oh...... you can buy trophies on ebay and tell any lie you want, about how you got it.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@indianapolisracer pics please...;)...plant some nice ones...as others have said your driving the trophy.

Pics
    Pics
    Pics
    o_O

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yeah...we really like your car and would love the full story and more pictures! :)

I don't bother the local car shows and only go to the ones in other towns so I can get a good run under my belt. Makes it all worthwhile...and I pray I don't win a trophy!
    I'd have to tape it to the roll bar to get it home! LoL

18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

x2

lilmann likes this.
  19. They probably figured it was a fiberglass deluxe model A, aren't all those cars plastic? I pretty much stick to charity shows and driving events these days. My '47 chev coupe gets lots of looks and interest in a sea of new challengers and 911's and I even got a folding chair in a bag door prize but she is no great shakes. I go for people fun, to look at others stuff, to get out of the house and as an excuse to put on some miles.

20. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

very well said

j3harleys and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Excactly. Same as I did. Kind of a nose up to the Trophy Hunters he he.

22. patterg2003

patterg2003

You have a great car. Many of the show hot rods are so done up that they are like BMW's cloaked in original tin. I find it hard to relate to the show cars other than their origin as most are so over done that they live in a parallel reality. You have a car that is unique and one to celebrate with pride. Congratulations again on a great car.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  23. ...what the hell is it doing on a trailer?...seriously, that's a Nice coupe,..trophies and awards are only someone else's opinion of your car,..the car is your trophy.
    ...i'm sure lot's of people at that show loved it, even that don't matter, as long as you like it.

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Most car shows don't appeal to me at all! I cant stand rows and rows of chevelles, mustangs and corvettes. Static parking lot shows are only fun for about 10 minutes after the trophies are given out. That is the time when you get to hear all the cars run and drive. Living events like the Hot Rod Hill Climb and the Dirt Drags are the best. You get to see cars being used and loved. After attending an event like that you will never want to go to another parking lot show again.

clunker likes this.
  25. v8deuce

v8deuce

I have been a judge at many shows and I saw all the trophy hunters and how they would run around opening the doors,hoods bragging about all their hard work.(I wore a ribbon with judge on it) I would pick the one that you could easily see was a family build, or a father son-daughter build,it could be a regular car with a 6 banger or a plain jane pick-up truck. These were the ones that the whole family went to one or two shows a year and brought their own picnic basket.The look on their faces and the excitement the kids showed when I told them they would need to drive up to the stage with everyone in the car to accept their trophy far out weighed the angry looks guys with their high end high dollar builds would show. I was at one show ( I was not judging) and the second place winner in one category threw his trophy in the garbage after collecting it,his comment was "I don't accept second place for a #1 car" ya everyone had the same reaction "what a jerk". So I was wondering if your car is not a trophy winner can I have it =)

Randy

slv63, Fern 54, Binger and 2 others like this.
  26. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

First of all, beautiful car. Drive the wheels of the car and have fun with it. I laugh at the guy that lugs every trophy he has ever won and places them around his car at a car show. This does a couple of things. First, it shows the judges how many trophies he has won. Second it tells the judges, if I don't get a trophy at this show, you don't know what you are doing. Nothing but a "trophy whore". I was walking around the "Top Ten" area at one of the major shows and noticed a repeat winner from the previous year. I checked the odometer and it showed 22 miles. Give me a break, 22 miles in a year. I put 22 miles on my car on a Sunday morning bagel run. At one local show they gave a "Best of Show" trophy to a Bugatti replica, you want to see some pissed off people. It's not about trophies. It's about having fun with your car and meeting new people that will stop and ask questions about it. Get in your car and drive it coast to coast. Take it on vacation. You will have many more memories that way then getting some plastic dust collector.

27. Deadbird

Deadbird

You should take that coupe up to the Iron Invasion in Woodstock October 7th. You'll get a heck of a lot of attention there. No trophies. No Challengers either.

As others have said, we need to see more pictures.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Trophies are fairly worthless, one local show buys so many they give away the extras to anyone who asks for one, no you don't even need to have a car in the "show" to get one.

29. 34Larry

34Larry

If and I say if the reason your going is to collect awards then your wasting your time. While
    I and many others here appreciate your 32, we may be in the minority in todays world. While I do not know the ages of your judges, but it could be that those guys are the "boomer" generation our generation begat, (or were our kids). Most of us old timers realize, sadly for us, that the boomer generation is not into pre and early post WW II cars but are instead into the muscle cars of the 70's. Their heart lay in that aria as much as we old guys heart lay in the aria of your car.
    As many have said here, go for the cars that come in, the people you meet, and if you happen to get some judge(s) that do appreciate your 32 and award it a trophy, consider that icing on your cake.
    (Speaking from many years of experience, for I too years ago was also a trophy hound who discovered that judging is completely arbitrary, and not worth the fretting about).

LOU WELLS and clunker like this.
  30. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore