Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '56 Chev windshield wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TDak, Sep 18, 2017.

1. TDak

TDak
    from Oshkosh

Winshield wipers won't shut off and won't return to the stopped position. New switch didn't help. Any ideas?

2. Switch on the 56 I owned was cable operated. Cable might have slipped, not allowing you to slide the part on the wiper to the off position. (Stock system)

3. TDak

TDak
    from Oshkosh

Thanks. This is an aftermarket electric unit. Original mechanism as far as I can tell.

4. Post a picture of the motor if you can and someone may recognize it. The motor should have some kind of a "park switch" that detects when the dash switch is shut off. It allows the wipers to run for one more cycle and cuts the power when the wipers reach the park position. It might have failed mechanically or somehow it's been wired to stay hot all the time.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Yeah, if it's like the PU's of the same vintage, there's a little "push button" on the motor.

6. Did you double check your wires

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The motor & switch have to be well grounded.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    squirrel and clunker like this.
  8. TDak

TDak
    from Oshkosh

Thanks to all. I'll post a pic later today.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell it someone up here in the NW, 7 months out of the year you would never know there was a problem. :cool:

56don likes this.
  10. TDak

TDak
    from Oshkosh

I believe it is a Danchuk supplied unit. Very good support. They gave me the mfrs contact. I'll try that first. Thanks to all.

11. This just happened to me. Same exact symptoms. I bought a used motor on ebay and a used switch (just in case) I pulled the trim, released the arms, pulled the wiper motor , dissassembled it, lubed it, reassembled it, bench tested fine. Re-installed it and had the same exact problem. Cleaned off the ground wire (strap), worked just fine.

If I had just tried that 1st, I would have saved a lot of hassle. These motors incrementally deny ground to the voltage to change speed, and turn on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. TDak

TDak
    from Oshkosh

Thanks. Danchuk was great, gave me the mfr who gave me a diagnostic procedure. Also offered to rebuild the unit if necessary. Excellent service. I'll try the diagnostic in the next few days.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Post a picture. If it is a GM unit it could be a faulty park mechanism.

14. Just an FYI for those that might have a factory unit. The wire insulation will get hard and crack. Sometimes the wire strands can get broken. I had this problem. The weak point was where the wire exited the wiper motor housing, hard to see. This can make for all types of problems. Wipers that are very slow, or shorted out.

15. You might try slipping a piece of shrink wrap up inside the motor on the wire. Heat with a heat gun.