Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a car that is not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 15, 2017.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I sold my T Bucket 2 years ago. Up until then, it wasn't for sale, but I had gotten tired of it and finally realized I could build a better one. So, off it went. 2 weeks later, I was planning the one I'm building now and so far, it's a lot more planned out and better than the first one.

els likes this.
  2. $30,000 buys my Ford, not that anyone is going to run up to me and hand me a wad like that. I have turned down $25,000 for it.

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  3. A few years ago a guy approached me at the Goodguy's show in Charlotte,N.C. inquiring about my sedan and if it was for sale,I assured him it was not.

He came back a few hours later and told me he had sold his car and really liked my sedan and could he make me a offer,I said you can but it's not for sale.

He made a very generous offer,probably more than the car is actually worth but I turned him down.

I talked to him again before the show was over and he upped the offer and again I told him no.

On the way home Brenda said she knew how much I liked the car,but she said she didn't know which one of us was the craziest,me for turning down THAT much money or the man that offered THAT much for the sedan.

weps, els, Rex_A_Lott and 2 others like this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That's the time, two fools met! :D

chryslerfan55, els and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  5. Dick,the two fools analogy is a point taken! :D HRP

chryslerfan55, els and 62hotcat like this.
  6. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

My 34 5 window that I bought in 1950 for $11. If Bill Gates and Warren Buffet pooled their money it wouldn't buy it.

7. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

I've had many neat hot rods over the years, but this original 32 built in the fifties that I chased for 20 years is the tightest and quickest flathead that I ever owned . and because I'm on my last quarter mile now I'll probably never sell it. Excuse all the dust on the 60 year old paint, but thats the only good picture I had to post. IMG_1482.JPG

8. cavman

cavman

I've got one.....but it's not so much the car but the whole story that goes with it. In 1969, shortly after I got out of the Army, I ordered a new Chevy Monte Carlo. I went down the performance parts list and checked off a bunch of boxes that wouldn't normally be checked with a car like this. The dealer took my down payment and the wait was on. Several months went by before I was called and told GM wouldn't build it. I was disappointed to say the least. I got my down payment back and moved on. For a while..until I found out that GM did in fact build it, and some others nearly the same. Some brass hat got mine I assume. I started searching for another, and found one of the others, and bought it. It sits in my garage now with under 30,000 miles on it. Years ago when I built a new garage, I put it in the corner, and built a wall around it with so it couldn't be seen, or removed without tearing the wall down. It will go to my first born when I pass. It may be OT, but it is almost 50 yrs old.

9. And that is one sweet 5 window! HRP

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. jim snow

jim snow

IMG_0010.JPG Boy is this difficult. I have been asked many times about selling it. My response is I won't put a price on it so make an offer but it better knock me over. It hasn't happened yet but you never know.Snowman, photo by Motoandy

Bowtie Coupe, chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

My '55 Nomad. Purchased by my dad in approx. 1970. It was our family hot rod, as we all couldn't fit into the '34 cpe. I learned to drive in it, a 4 sp. at the time, saw AG at the drive-in, sitting on the tailgate, and other great memories. Dad sold it in '78 and I found it at the Woodward Dream Cruise and bought it back in '98. Same guy still had it. Besides pre-48 rods, dad has always had a 55-57 Chevy. My daughter and son grew up in it, as I did, and will share it when I'm gone.

TFoch, els, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  12. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpg My 34 Tourer (Aussie) the kids will get this one ,,damn near sold it to get an 86 Corvette once ,,,,,,,,,what was I thinking ?,,had it 40 years this year,,

TFoch, chryslerfan55, els and 4 others like this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Thank God, you came to your senses before it was too late! :cool:

14. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had my '53 chevy truck for almost 40 years, not for sale. Got my '48 Nash wrecker two years ago, I've wanted one of those for almost as long, not for sale. At least not for sale for the amount of money any relatively sane person would pay.

chryslerfan55, els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

the stude in my avatar is my no sale car, I'm the 2nd owner and have known it most of my life, not goin anyplace

els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1136.JPG When asked if my 38 Chevy was for sale I have always said it will be on the estate auction. The wife and I were talking about it and I threw out a figure that's about twice what the car would actually bring and I said I wouldn't take it. She thought I was crazy but she doesn't like the car.
    Yesterday my neighbor and I went down to visit my cousin, neither he nor I had seen the 53 Stude gasser he was racing and I wanted to introduce my neighbor to another friend that lived just a few more miles down the road. This guy has what I would call a 60's era show car, an amalgam of parts including Plymouth, Dodge and Ford as well as other with a blown 409, all built in his shop with less tools than I have (but a LOT more skill). He'd been at KKOA a short while ago (Gene Winfield ordered him to park the car in front of his vendor area) and while there a guy asked what he wanted for it, he said it wasn't for sale, the guy came back with $130K, and it didn't sell. This guys dad had started the car years ago and his dad died shortly after. I'd probably take that for my car even though I've had it since 73 and if I didn't it would probably be on the estate auction:)

TFoch, els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I'm just like, the owners of multi car families.... I'm GONNA DIE OWNING IT so quit asking.

chryslerfan55, els and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I never had one that was not for sale. Do I have a few that I regret selling ,yes I do.
    My 69 Camaro 396 -375 4 speed car. My 69 Charger 500 with a Hemi. Both bought during the energy crisis in the 70's of used car lots for less than 2 grand each.
    My 57 Nomad wagon 283 2- 4 barrel that I bought in 1967 for $75.00 and drove it home.
    I had a chance at a original 427 Cobra that a guy was selling for $ 7500.00 right after I got out of the army in 1976 . Might have been a good investment. You think ?

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Marcia

Marcia

[​IMG]
    I've been driving it for 35 years. It would be the last thing I sell.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life can make a U-turn on anyone in the blink of an eye and then the asshole over the top of our bathroom sinks will make us do what we have to do. My racer was "never for sale" and then a guy made a huge offer as I was recovering from major back surgery with no medical insurance. My 39 isn't for sale, period, not an option. Wanted and waited too long for the right opportunity and now I have it. We'll see...

21. This Cyclone belonged to my parents and will be given to one of my kids. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, els, Marcia and 3 others like this.
  22. perk30

perk30

IMG_0993.JPG I don't even ask what they would offer if someone asks if I want to sell it. Really don't want to sell it and don't want to be tempted.

Bowtie Coupe, els, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  23. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

46 CHEVY LEFT SIDE 2.JPG Hi. None of my rides are for sale. I made that mistake way too many times when I was young & stupid. Really sold or traded a few that I would love to have today. Don't even have photo's of those.
    Now at age 79 I will likely die still owning the two I currently have - an of topic 2004 Hummer H2 and my 1946 Chevrolet Sport Coupe.
    I took a road trip this past weekend in the coupe from my home near Yoakum Texas to Decatur Texas to attend the Directors meeting for next spring's Pate Swap meet held at the Texas Speedway just north of Fort Worth.
    Friday evening found me at Sweetie Pies, the local steak house. My coupe was parked just outside the door where there are benches for waiting crowd and as leaving I was asked by someone at the bench if my car was for sale. Stock reply of nobody would dare offer me anywhere near what I have invested in it to date & it is still not done and I am too old to start over with another. I got a nod & a smile as they understood.
    Arrived back home just after dark yesterday and this afternoon's job will be removing about 5 pounds of bug splat from the 46.
    Jimmie 46 CHEVY LEFT SIDE 2.JPG

Bowtie Coupe, Chavezk21, els and 3 others like this.
  24. What a Duesy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

No...

els likes this.
  26. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I dont have anything anyone would want....

els likes this.
  27. Boatmark

Boatmark

Yes, but it's a plastic OT two seater.
    Bought it when I was 21, and I'm 53 now. Been off the road 27 years. Never have the time and money or space at the same time to do the rebuild to the level I desire.

Literally sitting here with Pgan's book on home paint jobs trying to convince myself to paint it, do a quickie rebuild on the small block, and have some fun. I can make it perfect when (if) I ever retire.

Or fluff up someone else's completed 65' El Camino if I can ever find one I can afford. . . . .

28. KFC

KFC
    from UK

els and exterminator like this.
  29. rightcoast

rightcoast
    from palermo ny

Probly wouldnt sell current project. Im new to the vintage stuff but love the traditonal hot rods...at 50 years of age I have waited 20 plus years to get a model a hot rod...I have had rims since i was 18... Its a 29 coupe, 32 rails. 327 4sp.... still in the works and thanks to car club for support.... mental and physical...

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

The Chopped 48 Ford in the middle of this pic is the only one I would sell , but only because I need garage space , not trying very hard to get rid of it , fun car but IMG_0375.JPG I have three more ( not pictured ) that are sitting outside

Bowtie Coupe, chryslerfan55 and els like this.