Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical where does the rust belt end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Sep 16, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

In my eternal quest for finding parts for this rusting hulk I've come to realize that I might have to travel outside of Michigan to get some parts. I always see these guys from the prairie states hacking up these "rusty" cars and selling body parts. What state can I go to, to get some decent parts that isn't much more then a day trip?

2. I used to know a guy who traveled to Montana and surrounding states to pick up old cars to restore. Most only had light surface rust on them that was easily removed. I know here in the Southeast that the myth of rust free cars is just a myth. All the humidity and the ph of the soil contributes to rust issues. Not as bad as where you are because we don' salt the streets in winter but I see some pretty rusty cars down here.

Montana1 likes this.
  3. A day trip from Michigan to get non Rusty body parts probably isn't going to happen. Might find Less Rusty but not rust free.
    The Wizzard

Just Gary and Mark Roby like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

Defiantly not Minnesota or Wisconsin!

5. topher5150

topher5150

right....I'm just looking for some parts that don't look like swiss cheese

6. topher5150

topher5150

What about southern Illinois/Indiana, northern Kentucky

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The parts you need are right there in your house. You only have to travel to your keyboard. What parts do you need? It would probably be at least a full day trip each way. Factor in your fuel, Motel, food on the road, etc costs and it'll be more than the cost of shipping a couple of replacement fenders or doors, etc. Even dead heading out with a trailer in tow to fetch a whole car can sometimes be as much as paying a shipper to pick it up on his route.
    Shop on line and buy from someone willing to ship. Large and/or heavy items can still be shipped fairly reasonably via Greyhound Express, Fastenal, HAMB relay, etc.
    Take the 2+ days you'd spend behind the wheel working on your car; block sanding, welding or assemble an engine. Unless you're already planning to travel somewhere or just crave a road trip?
    Just consider the shipping as a cost of doing business because you live in the rust belt. The high costs associated with living in SoCal are part of my cost of doing practically anything.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  8. I noticed in another thread, I think you were looking for floor pans.

$260 doesn't seem that bad for fronts ready to weld in
    http://www.absolutesheetmetal.com/content/1941-1948-absolutely-bitchin-ford-car-parts
    Looks like they answer the phone too and could be a good resource

If you have a trailer, or even a P/U why not take a week off and head to the South West and find that farmer looking to get rid of that rust free 1947 Ford Coupe for next to nothing that you're looking for? Heck, I would take that over Disney World any day. Driving around the desert by myself looking for old cars sounds like a dream vacation to me, even if you find nothing. (But I have two small children and can't even have 5 minutes of peace by myself to sit on the pot)

Ford Coupes always bring in good bread up here, in any condition. Could you sell yours as is and buy something less desirable with less rust? Just an idea.

{{{edit}}}
    Screw that. I just read through your "one piece at a time" thread again. You have done a lot of work to your car, it will be very cool, I wouldn't sell it, I would keep at it.

Did you ever find another CAD job? In my industry everyone is switching to Sketch Up, CAD guys are SOL.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Since I am from Ohio, I know rust, very well. Since I moved to Wyoming, I know what rust free is. I would rather spend a week driving for rust free, than spend a week working on rust.

10. topher5150

topher5150

i am looking for floor boards
    I was looking at EMS and bitchin floor boards but that looks way to easy to mess up

11. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Hey! Canada isn't all salt belt. The part right north of the Northwest is pretty rust free, similar to the US.

I was surprised when an Australian friend of mine told me that where he was from rust was really bad. The humid salty air from the sea did in the cars.

Stogy likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Stuff may be at your fingertips on the computer but a road trip to find parts is a adventure that will provide memories for a lifetime.
    It may be the smart move to order online and have it delivered as far as time and expense is concerned but that sure is boring.

Texas57 likes this.
  13. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

What are your plans for the coupe? I ask because if your going to spend $6500 or more my 46 with a long story attached might be the better way to go. Now for the long story:
    My life long friend and I shared a 46 coupe when we were in college; first me and then him when he got out of the Air Force. A few years ago I found one on Craigslist that we decided to try to relive our youth, even though at that time both 78, and make a joint project out of it. One year later a massive heart attack claimed him and the car is now just sitting as it now is a bad memory. A completely rebuilt 49AB was done by Allard Machine in Ennis, Texas that has the truck bell housing, 59AB heads, cam, 59AB front cover and crab distributor (electronic). The chassis was media blasted, painted, brake shoes, hardware, new MC, new wheel cylinders, and all new cunifer metal lines and rubber hoses. Engine is whisper quiet and holds 65#'s oil pressure hot. Zero rust body and very few dents. I asked your plans since if going old school it's available but not available for chopping and dropping.

Attached Files:

Dog_Patch, Texas57 and clunker like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

East of the Snake river and north of the Pecos.

ceege likes this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

The answer low rain fall no road salt in winter

16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Where does the rust belt end ? In the pile in the garage floor that you sweep up and toss in the trash . My 32 is from Oklahoma, rust free body . Every part on it from rust belt ! They still work and can be fixed , just take a bit longer to bring back to life !

17. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Actually go south ,when the menus change from hash browns to grits ,your there,go west till the chickpeas change to Garbonzo beans.

18. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

North Dakota can be a good state as can South Dakota. I have bought cars from new Mexico, west Texas, Montana, Nevada, etc. These were all mostly rust free but not totally. The only truly rust free car I have bought is my 47 ford coupe bought out of atlanta area. It sat since mid 70,s in a very dry garage. South is better in general than North but high desert in my experience is great.

Gr8punkin likes this.
  19. 68hillbilly

68hillbilly
    from KENTUCKY

Just a thought, but I bought a super nice Buick sportwagon in Michigan a few years back, the guy had bought it in California and never drove it except in summer. Ask around up there, someone's got some good stuff stashed around even in the rustbelt.

Gr8punkin likes this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

Maybe I just need to find some better sources

21. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Stationed in West Texas back in the Early 80's, went to the Junk Yard there for a Part. I just Stood there in the Middle and Slobbered, couldn't believe how nice the Steel was on the car's. Grew up in Carolina, never seen a Yard with no rust....

22. Budget36

Budget36

Or mention what type of car...could be a guy in Yuma, AZ that know's where a few are, or a guy in Tuscon that know's about a different car(s).

Certainly you just can't hop in the truck, pull the trailer through Montana and see them lined up off the side of the road.

Heck, here within minutes I've found field trucks that looked like they had never seen wet before, and others I would have thought came out of a bucket of salt water.

I lived in Az. back in the late '70's into the early '80's, saw more rusted out cars on the road than I'd seen in my life...figured out they were brought in by the snowbirds, who were looking for a warmer climate.

Rust didn't stop when they crossed the "border".

23. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

24. topher5150

topher5150

Sorry I'm looking for parts for my 47 Ford coupe long door

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rust belt usually ends in a restoration shop or garage. Just a thought...;)

Back about 40 years ago there was a huge migration to Texas from the northeast part of the US (the rust belt). While it relates to more modern stuff it's not unusual to find a bondo buggy that's supposed to be a "Texas car". Buyer beware.

26. ...or about 8 inches above the floor

s55mercury66 likes this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Hey Topher:
    RUST NEVER SLEEPS! Neil Young

ROCK AND ROLL WILL NEVER DIE...

Jnaki

28. topher5150

topher5150

hey hey my my

jnaki likes this.
  29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Feeling the love topher? FWIW, Hershey is coming up from 10-3 thru 10-7 this year. While surely in the rust belt lots of stuff from beyond ends up there. Be advised it's not a weekend meet, it goes from Tues thru Sat. Good luck...