Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 394 B -32 ford 3W

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Hendee

Hendee

Lol. Can't wait to hear your response to this one Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

here is the car basically finished up. 6400 mile trip across the US to bonneville, las vegas, down to El Mirage, and back home! the Y block ran like a scalded dog the entire way. 3 weeks of traveling, no issues, no problems and no break downs. I couldnt have asked for a better trip. The first photo is at Bonneville my last morning there after speedweek. And the second photo is at el mirage, after racing around beating the hell out of the cars all day. ill post some more photos soon. The APP shit out on my phone. Some of you may have seen alot on Facebook and Instagram. ill try to move those photos here DSC_0441.JPG DSC_0996.JPG

Outback, sko_ford, Pufff and 26 others like this.
  3. Happy you are going to post some photos of our trip on here....Way to go Ben

loudbang, 39 Aaron NZ and Hendee like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If the app is crap use the mobile version of the site on your web browser. Seems to work much better for many

brEad and loudbang like this.
  5. hasty

hasty

Wow - looks fantastic! Look forward to the trip pictures.

loudbang likes this.
  6. brady1929

brady1929

What an incredible hot rod!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Those two pic... Wow! Car looks great. Glad it performed as well as it looks.

loudbang likes this.
  8. 3 window Larry used to have a saying about waiting..........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING US BEN!!!! I am trying to live vicariously through your adventure so with out pictures it didn't happen..LOL

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  10. Rest In Peace, 32 Ford Coupe. I hope you can fix it, but it looks pretty beat up. Glad you ok.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  11. Fogger

Fogger

Hope all involved survived, so sorry to see the results of the crash after all the work. I've seen Flops work and sure he can straighten the sheetmetal.

12. Ben was unhurt, the car, not so much. Probably should have let him share the news.

Outback, Fern 54, chris13mel and 7 others like this.
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

loudbang likes this.
  14. Saw the accident pics on FB. Man I hated to see and hear stuff like that.

With regard to the spring perch breaking I wonder if it is due to them being used horizontally. They will see a lot more bending stress right at the taper versus the original vertical mounting.

You should fix the car!

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek:

16. loudbang

loudbang

Man that is terrible news.

brady1929, Runnin shine and Stogy like this.
  17. Your right, sorry for jumping the gun.
    I did look to see if it was on here, and figured I'd missed the thread.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unbelievable situation. At least hes okay from what we understand. This will take some getting over for sure and I am sure he will give her another whirl. Look forward to hearing from Ben when the shock is over. We are somewhat united together here and support one another in crisis so you all posted out of concern. I am glad to hear again that is he has come through okay. Thanks everyone.

19. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

It's like being kicked in the chest. It sucks so bad!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. trey32

trey32

I hope all is well...

loudbang likes this.
  21. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Love this
    Edit: I posted this while looking through this build. I made it to the 3rd page and then had to leave so I commented so I could come back. I just saw what had happened.. woah, I'm so sorry man! Don't let it stop you, you should tackle it again!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

??????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Sorry I commented that when I was only on the second page of this thread. I was commenting to be able to come back and keep looking... sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  24. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

OH MAN I see now... man that's terrible...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. I was wondering this myself about how they were mounted on the wishbone. It's sad but it looks fixable to me. Gonna take some work. Glad he's ok.

ls1yj, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

No worries that's why I just ???.
    I've had a thread jump on me many times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Doctorterry likes this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Maybe we should wait till Ben posts his thoughts on what happened before we get too far along in debating on build techniques. Tons, and I mean tons of cars mount perches off the wishbones and have been for decades.
    This is just terrible news, but much worse for him and his baby.
    Thankfully it sound like he's ok. I'm going turn on my empathetic side and leave well enough alone for awhile.

Jeff34, ls1yj, 383deuce and 2 others like this.
  28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ok fellas,
    so after about 12 phone calls of people saying, " you need to update the hamb".... here goes !

Saturday, September the 16th. I was driving down a back road here outside of town.. Not doing 50 mph.. ( verified by police).... All the sudden i herd a loud BANG!.. Instantly the 32 started sliding to the right, towards a ditch...Unsuccessful at trying to counter steer, the car entered the ditch sliding sideways. Making it through the ditch on all 4 wheels, it continued to slide through a field, where it finally ened up sliding into a gravel driveway. As soon as the wheels hit the gravel bank. The car shot up into the sky like a rocker,. Flipping 2 full turns mid air and landing on the passenger A pillar , smashing down to rest on its passenger door. I was stuck in the car.. I had stood up and made sure that i was intact, Looking for a way out... Luckily the door safety pin came right out, and i was able to beat on the drivers door so i could hoist my self up out of the wreckage. I climbed out of my 32, and jumped onto the ground. Only to look around and see my poor car was a complete loss. there were parts and toold everywhere. The car had flipped so hard and so violent, that it just became a twisted up mess. Every single part or panel was damaged. The engines suffered a hard crank strike from the front cross member. All the axles were bent, front and rear... the wheels were rashed and twisted, every part of the body was destroyed.
    After a quick investigation , i was sure of what happened. I was running a suicide style font end, and the spring perch had split and came apart, letting the weight of the car fall onto the tie rods and drag link, causing the front wheels to do what every they pleased..
    To clear up some SHIT that i keep hearing, This was not cause by my lack of fabrication skill.. This was not caused by my lack of machining skill. This was all an aftermarket part FAILURE ! a very poor cast aftermarket hanger that failed. I have documented my entire builld. Actually several builds that i have done. Non of my work is shotty or half assed. I put a lot of thought into this car to make it fast, handle well, and still be safe! i drove thsi car 10k miles since the end of june. Thats more than most guys drive in a year! Im pretty discouraged that some people instantly fall back to the lack of skill in building a car! I can promise you that this car was built to run, and run hard, i proved that with a cross country free for all, right after bolting the thing together.
    The car is a total loss as i said. its not fixable. It may be to a metal shaper that can form an entire new body. But every component is screwed. This car was dubbed " the pale rider" buy the entire crew of the cross country circus . And it will in fact be re born.

here are a few photos. they really dont do it justice of how bad this car really is! im flat out lucky to be here.. i had a slight rash on the head from the wood in the roof, But i held on tight to the wheel and kept myself in the seat until the car stopped rolling. 21690991_526288214381044_1556838502_n.jpg 21697988_526322187710980_466169024_n.jpg 21706690_526403587702840_692291332_o.jpg 21754590_526320387711160_2074526925_n.jpg 21763791_526321534377712_1160742073_n.jpg 21763921_526288181047714_1353547109_n.jpg

29. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Glad your with us to tell the story...

wandi harry, brEad and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah I can't bring myself to hit the like button on that post, too sad. Glad to hear from you in your words as apposed to speculation. So thankful your ok and at some point we may see a revival of pale rider. Your fab work is inspirational.
    Wyatt.

wandi harry, kiwijeff and 39 Aaron NZ like this.